Best horror film of the 70s

Select up to 2 films

• Valerie And Her Week of Wonders (Jires, 1970)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Les lèvres rouges / Daughters of Darkness (1971)

• Last House On the Left (Craven, 1972)

• The Wicker Man (Hardy, 1973)

• Black Christmas (Clark, 1974)

• Shivers (Cronenberg, 1975)

• The Tenant (Polanski, 1976)

• Eraserhead (Lynch, 1977)

• Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)

• Nosferatu the Vampyre (Herzog, 1979)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Jaws isnt a horror movie imo. Halloween is the easy answer for me and its the gold standard for horror movies.

On a side note I never really found The Exorcism scary but I give it credit for probably being the best film on this list.

I agree that Jaws is borderline horror. Halloween is widely overrated IMO! :)

Reactions: Tofveve

member 157595

I adore Alien. I think it's such an influential movie, and I hated where Cameron took it with Aliens. I also went with House. Just one of those truly unique movies that gives you something that a lot of others just don't. I really like Jaws and The Exorcist as well. Don't Look Now is very underrated.

In terms of whether it's horror. I definitely think it is. Sci-fi horror is still horror.

I mostly agree. I don't hate Aliens but it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I mostly agree. I don't hate Aliens but it doesn't hold a candle to the original.
I wouldn't say I hated the movie either, but so much of the appeal of Alien is the tone and atmosphere, which Aliens does not match whatsoever. Something about the dumb action schlock tone in that universe feels off to me.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Definitely The Exorcist in first place (tied with The Ring as the GOAT in any decade) followed closely by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I'd vote in 3rd place Salem's Lot (the actual very first horror I ever saw, just about died).

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

member 157595

Jaws. Absolutely. Especially if you live near the coast like me.
To this day I still dont go too deep.
Here we are nearly 40+ years later and Mass coast has daily great white sightings.

I guarantee you there's some dude in Revere planning a trip to Truro to get in a fight with a shark.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Let's close this one too, with

1) The Exorcist
2) Jaws
2) Alien

Moving forward to the best horror films of all time top-10 polls, with Halloween, Dawn of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre as backups (pretty sure they'll be needed)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad