Best horror film of the 2000s

Select up to 2 films

• Shadow of the Vampire (Merhige, 2000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Devil's Backbone (del Toro, 2001)

• High Tension / Haute Tension (Aja, 2003)

• Hostel (Roth, 2005)

• Three... Extremes (Collective, 2005)

• Inside / À l'intérieur (Bustillo/Maury, 2007)

• The Orphanage (Bayona, 2007)

• The Strangers (Bertino, 2008)

• The House of the Devil (West, 2009)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
From the list, I have only seen: American Psycho, The Others, 28 Days Later, Saw, The Descent, Cloverfield, and Let the Right One In. I started the Host, need to get back to it, and have been meaning to check out [REC], Antichrist, and Pan's Labyrinth.

Out of the list I've seen, I would say 28 Days Later made the biggest impression on me, and I don't really care for zombies. The atmosphere and way the movie is shot is so eerie and just so devoid of hope, the only other movie that I can compare it to would be the Road.

Let the Right One In also stuck with me for a while to process. Really liked it. I saw Border recently and it kind of reminded me of Let the Right One In, but not as good.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

member 51464

The American version of The Ring seemed quite popular in its day. I think that was around 2003 or so?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Vote Saw and Cloverfield.

Surprised to see no love for Saw. I know people are probably turned off by all the squels but the original Saw was revolutionary. Jigsaw is probably one of the most iconic original horror characters of the last 25 years. He's like the Freddy Kruger or Jason Vorhees of the 00s

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I saw only three movies on the list. I liked Pan's Labyrinth and I didn't like Saw. I couldn't stand watching the shaky camera and I got motion sickness from Cloverfield. I haven't bothered to try watching it on a smaller screen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched The Host and was very underwhelmed. It starts out like a mediocre Godzilla movie (specifically, the 1998 one) in the first act, morphs into a bit of a family comedy for the middle act and then becomes melodramatic in the final act. The plot is nonsensical, the dialogue is bad and the acting is only OK, IMO. I didn't find it all that funny or touching and certainly not scary (partly because you always see the entire monster and partly because the CGI isn't very good, even for 2006). Trying to be all of those things and shoehorning in political commentary doesn't make it a smart or great film, IMO. I kept thinking throughout that, if it were an American movie, it would've been critically panned. It's not without some redeeming qualities (ex. it doesn't take itself too seriously), but it's more of a dumb action/comedy monster movie than anything else and I wouldn't recommend it unless that's exactly what you're looking for and you aren't looking for a horror film.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know it wouldn't come close to winning, but I'd vote for Below (2002 - David Twohy) in this decade. Maybe more thriller/suspense/dread than actual horror, but unlike most horror movies, it stuck with me and the sense of claustrophobia created by the movie is spot on. Having served on subs for the better part of a decade, I thought they captured the tight quarters really well. As is, I went with 28 Days Later and the Descent.

Side note...when it comes to submarine movies the three most realistic in my opinion are:
1. Das Boot (perfection)
2. Down Periscope (captures the hilarity, immaturity and dangerously close to mutinous dialogue of the crew perfectly) Gotta remember that in the modern navy these subs are crewed by a bunch of 19-25 year olds kids mostly.
3. The Enemy Below

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know it wouldn't come close to winning, but I'd vote for Below (2002 - David Twohy) in this decade. Maybe more thriller/suspense/dread than actual horror, but unlike most horror movies, it stuck with me and the sense of claustrophobia created by the movie is spot on. Having served on subs for the better part of a decade, I thought they captured the tight quarters really well. As is, I went with 28 Days Later and the Descent.

Side note...when it comes to submarine movies the three most realistic in my opinion are:
1. Das Boot (perfection)
2. Down Periscope (captures the hilarity, immaturity and dangerously close to mutinous dialogue of the crew perfectly) Gotta remember that in the modern navy these subs are crewed by a bunch of 19-25 year olds kids mostly.
3. The Enemy Below

I saw it a few years back, it was pretty good.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I just watched The Host and was very underwhelmed. It starts out like a mediocre Godzilla movie (specifically, the 1998 one) in the first act, morphs into a bit of a family comedy for the middle act and then becomes melodramatic in the final act. The plot is nonsensical, the dialogue is bad and the acting is only OK, IMO. I didn't find it all that funny or touching and certainly not scary (partly because you always see the entire monster and partly because the CGI isn't very good, even for 2006). Trying to be all of those things and shoehorning in political commentary doesn't make it a smart or great film, IMO. I kept thinking throughout that, if it were an American movie, it would've been critically panned. It's not without some redeeming qualities, but it's more of a dumb action/comedy monster movie than anything else and I wouldn't recommend it unless that's exactly what you're looking for and you aren't looking for a horror film.

Agreed!!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Ring and Signs should be listed. They’re scarier than almost everything on the list. The Descent gets my vote

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
yeah, one of the only horror movies I liked from this decade, was an 8os throwback Freddy vs Jason (2003).

Not a good decade for original horror characters..

Want me to add it?

The Ring and Signs should be listed. They’re scarier than almost everything on the list. The Descent gets my vote

If you'll vote for one of them, I'll add it to the poll.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Here we have

1) The Descent
2) Let the Right One In
3) Pan's Labyrinth

moving on, with 28 Days Later not far behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad