Best horror film of the 2000s

Select up to 2 films

• Shadow of the Vampire (Merhige, 2000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Devil's Backbone (del Toro, 2001)

• High Tension / Haute Tension (Aja, 2003)

• Hostel (Roth, 2005)

• Three... Extremes (Collective, 2005)

• Inside / À l'intérieur (Bustillo/Maury, 2007)

• The Orphanage (Bayona, 2007)

• The Strangers (Bertino, 2008)

• The House of the Devil (West, 2009)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
A decade of sequels and remakes and sequels of remakes, but with surprising and impressive high-end quality. I chose not to include any sequel nor remake, but feel free to ask for any addition to the poll.

Things I considered:

Amer - amazing film, but more a pastiche than a real horror film, still, see it
The Human Centipede
Dagon
Naboer
Four Nights With Anna
Grindhouse
Halloween / Halloween II
Ne te retourne pas
The Mist
Eden Lake
28 Weeks Later
The Grudge
Dawn of the Dead
The Ring
Wolf Creek
Cabin Fever
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Ruins
Martyrs
House of the 1000 Corpses
The Devil's Rejects
Jeepers Creepers
Dead Silence
The Midnight Meat Train
30 Days of Night
Dans ma peau
Dead Snow
Gozu
- just not convinced it's a horror film
Splinter
Frailty
Trick 'R Treat
Taxidermia
Thirst
Pontypool
Requiem
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
May
Shutter
Resident Evil
Pulse
The Hills Have Eyes

And some horror comedies that I really don't want in the poll (sorry)...
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Bubba Ho-Tep

The previous polls are still open:

- Silence of the Lambs seems to be favorite for the 90s (is it a horror film?):
Best horror film of the 90s

- The Shining took the lead from The Thing for the 80s, but it's still up in the air:
Best horror film of the 80s

- Still a nice fight in the 70s:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/best-horror-film-of-the-70s.2728965/

- Psycho looks like a winner for the 60s:
Best horror film of the 60s

- Not a lot of HFers have seen the films from the 40s and 50s!
Best horror film of the 40s & 50s

- Nosferatu is no surprise for the 20s and 30s, but still not a lot of votes:
Best horror film of the 20s & 30s

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Voted Let the Right One In and Pan's Labrynth but could have just as easily gone with Antichrist, The Host or A Tale of Two Sisters for my second pick; in other words a really strong decade.

I guess I would call it "serious horror" but I thought Irreversible was the best horror film of the decade. And I also liked Ichi, the Killer a lot.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not convinced that The Host is a horror movie. If it is, I change my vote.
That is an interesting question. I pondered that for awhile before coming to the conclusion that The Host was. Partly because Bong Joon-ho has a habit of twisting genre's around in unexpected ways and partly because this seems to me the decade when "horror" began stretching out into unknown territory as with Antichrist; Pan's Labyrinth and Irreversible, for example. The Host is as much of a social commentary in its way as is Parasite. But to me, even under the new trappings, The Host is still at heart a horror movie.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That an interesting question. I pondered that for awhile before coming to the conclusion that The Host was. Partly because Bong Joon-ho has a habit of twisting genre's round in unexpected ways and partly because this seems to me the decade when "horror" began stretching out into unknown territory as with Antichrist; Pan's Labyrinth and Irreversible, for example. The Host is as much of a social commentary in its way as is Parasite. But to me, even under the new trappings, The Host is still at heart a horror movie.
That's indeed true. And not only social commentary, a family drama as well with comedy sprinkled on top.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think The Host is horror, even if you get a different reaction out of it relative to a typical horror movies. But yeah, I absolutely vote for The Host first. I still think it's the best Bong Joon Ho movie I've seen, and stands out as #1 for me for blending horror and comedy.

Can you add Dawn of the Dead? To me it's probably the greatest remake I've ever seen, and really stood out as one of the quintessential zombie movies to me. One of the great openings in movie history, really memorable characters (particularly Ty Burrell playing the biggest douchebag imaginable), and is hilarious without going too far over to being a comedy.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think The Host is horror, even if you get a different reaction out of it relative to a typical horror movies. But yeah, I absolutely vote for The Host first. I still think it's the best Bong Joon Ho movie I've seen, and stands out as #1 for me for blending horror and comedy.

Can you add Dawn of the Dead? To me it's probably the greatest remake I've ever seen, and really stood out as one of the quintessential zombie movies to me. One of the great openings in movie history, really memorable characters (particularly Ty Burrell playing the biggest *****ebag imaginable), and is hilarious without going too far over to being a comedy.

Hmmm, after your comment on The Thing, I can't imagine Dawn of the Dead being your favorite remake. The Fly? Anyway, of course I'll add it :)

Unpopular opinion: not a fan of The Host, thought it was meh.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hmmm, after your comment on The Thing, I can't imagine Dawn of the Dead being your favorite remake. The Fly? Anyway, of course I'll add it :)

Unpopular opinion: not a fan of The Host, thought it was meh.
Yeah I really don't think of it as a remake because I never saw the original, I guess I meant more originals I've seen and then seen the remake for. I just think it was an impressive feat to remake a Romero classic and not have it be a steaming pile of shit to begin with.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Funny, I stopped watching horror films around this time it seems.

I picked Cloverfield and 28 Days Later, but I can't say I've seen a lot of them.

I enjoyed American Psycho but I wouldn't really call it a horror film but rather a psychological thriller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Voted The Descent.

Strongly considered both Let the Right One In and, for sentimental reasons, House of the Devil.

I also share a bit of Violenza's indifference toward The Host which I was a bit let down by. Perhaps due for a rewatch/reassessment.

member 51464

Have many of you seen the French flick Martyrs? Talk about intense.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I also haven't seen many of these films.

"Pan's Labyrinth" is a favorite of mine in any category. I can go with either "Let the Right One In" or "Let Me In" as a second choice. I saw the latter first, read the novel, and then watched the original. "Let the Right One In" is more faithful to the novel and a better film, but seeing the remake first made me okay with it.

HM for "28 Days Later"

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Went with Let the Right One In and A Tale of Two Sisters but I really like Pans Labyrinth, I just never considered it a horror. I guess it can be but I've never thought of it as one. Same reason I didn't vote for The Silence of the Lambs in the 90's poll.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I'm in the same boat, I watched almost every horror movie on the 80'-90's lists but I've hardly seen any of these movie

yeah, one of the only horror movies I liked from this decade, was an 8os throwback Freddy vs Jason (2003).

Not a good decade for original horror characters..

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad