Best Hockey Photos in History

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
In the yearly countdown thread, I just posted the iconic picture of Brind'Amour raising the cup in front of the team. Compositionally, it's just a beautiful photo. There are three layers to it, a background layer of the fans that's somewhat darkened, a middle layer of the team, and Brind'Amour contrasting in the foreground, facing towards the team and fans, with the cup isolated against the background layer, making it pop. And for the purposes of that thread, the number on the jersey is prominent.

But what about images that aren't showing off the player's number? What are some iconic images from hockey history, or just beautifully composed photos that maybe aren't that famous and maybe should be, that spring to mind for you? There are photos that never make the countdown thread because they don't show off numbers, but they're not just a hockey photo, they're art. Like this:

1980-stanley-cup-finals-game-6-b-bennett.jpg

Let's post those. Not just the images that are iconic because they show a moment, like Bobby Orr flying, but are just spectacularly well composed and beautiful images. And if they show off an iconic moment so much the better, but that's not necessary. They don't need to be famous pictures, but they do need to be beautiful ones.

What you got?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Read your full post OP, and readjusted my post

miracle on ice after beating russians

There was a gretzky one too i swear I saw, was a cool shot of him scoring his 50th goal in the 39th game, from behind with the scoreboard lighting up at 50, though bad memory probably mistook a painting or composite for an actual photo. If anyone knows what I am talking about, maybe they can find it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Read your full post OP, and readjusted my post

miracle on ice after beating russians

There was a gretzky one too i swear I saw, was a cool shot of him scoring his 50th goal in the 39th game, from behind with the scoreboard lighting up at 50, though bad memory probably mistook a painting or composite for an actual photo. If anyone knows what I am talking about, maybe they can find it.

IMO, this is the best Miracle on Ice photo. Don't know the Gretzky one, please somebody find it!

1140-hockey-players-celebrating.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad