Books: Best Harry Potter Book? (Plus Rank All of the Books)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
EDIT: Also as I said, HBP also tried to go forward with the dark tones from Order of the Phoenix but it just felt dreary rather than genuinely dark)

I dunno, I felt genuinely disturbed the first time I read the sectumsempra scene (of course, the movie toned it way down for whatever reason ). And the whole horcrux destruction scene was pretty damn intense.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm really not sure why OotP is getting so much love. I just really really hate how whiny and *****y Harry is throughout the whole book. Maybe it's because it came out at the same time as the Lord of the Rings movies and I was sick of Elijah Wood''s sad face that I just cannot get past it lol. The character that really annoys me now more than ever is Sirius. Gawd man. Get a clue. It was an unnecessary break in his character, I know he was supposed to seem reckless hence how he got killed...but he spent so much time on the run without getting caught, to me that's the exact opposite. He was also a huge knob the entire time. He just wasn't like that in any of the other books.

I really liked the flashbacks in the Voldermorts past and getting to see why he's the way he is.

Reading it now, I have to marvel at how well the entire series meshed together. It was like a seamless story from book one to book 7 with a very clear idea in where it was goine x3dg and how it had to end. Exactly what GRRM is missing in ASOIAF iMO. There are just so many clues on re reads it's really amazing.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Yup. Sounds right. It probably wasn't that they thought that the American Children were stupid though.

The Royal Society (UK) prints "Philosophical Transactions."

It's a science journal. Makes sense for a UK author to link the "philosopher's stone" to an alchemist (well consider Flamel a scientist for this).

American English doesn't typically use the word "philosophy" when referring to science/scientists.

I do remember reading that they used Rowling's initials instead of name because "boys won't read books written by a woman."

Anyway, for me:

I had seen the first 3 movies before I decided to read the series (5 were out at that point). Enjoyed Movie 3 the most hence why the book is so high but I loathed Movie 6 the most yet enjoyed the book tremendously. Go figure.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I dunno, I felt genuinely disturbed the first time I read the sectumsempra scene (of course, the movie toned it way down for whatever reason ). And the whole horcrux destruction scene was pretty damn intense.

I guess I meant more overall. I did forget about sectumsempra. You're right that it was pretty disturbing.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Swap 7 and 5 and you have my rankings.

The stuff in 6 going into Voldemort's origin and Harry finally really understanding that **** is getting real and Dumbledore treating him like an adult for the first time is huge for me.

3 is number two for me because of the stuff with Lupin and Dementors, along with the end at the Shrieking Shack. I could do without the Time Turner.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas

I think the best chapter in the whole series is when Harry "dies" and ends up in King's Crossing. Sometimes i pull out that book just to read that chapter again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad