Best GM in the North Division?

Best GM of the Canadian teams?

• Total voters

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dorion is quietly building a future contender. He comes across as a bit of a buffoon but he's recovered supremely well from having his team be the laughingstock of the league

The rest have all found ways to hamstring their teams one way or another

Last edited:
Reactions: JustJokinenAround

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pierre Dorion has 3 votes. How? Three straight bottom 2 finishes. Currently dead last I'm the entire NHL.

Not a single asset in the lineup from trading Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Matt Duchene, Mika Zibanejad, Ryan Dzingel, Derrick Brassard, J. G Pageeau, Tyler Ennis, Dylan Demelo and Vladislav Namestinikov.

He has burned a 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th and a 5th on replacement players Stepan, Gudbranson, Josh Brown, Mike Reilly, and Matt Murray. Plus he brought I'm cast offs Brayden Coburn and Paquette.

Hired 2 identical coach's who think you win via trapping or fighting. Not with puck possession speed or skill.

The team just dressed Michael Haley over Logan Brown, Alex Formenton, Filip Chlapik, Colin White and Alex Galchenyuk.

This is the worst GM in hockey. No questions asked.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dorion is quietly building a future contender. He comes across as a bit of a buffoon but he's recovered supremely well from having his team be the laughingstock of the league

Absolutely not. He was the reason they were the laughing stock of the league and has continued to he so ever since he took over the team.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Absolutely not. He was the reason they were the laughing stock of the league and has continued to he so ever since he took over the team.

His defense is really that he gets forced into things by Melnyk I'd say.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Honestly, none of those answers are really good.

I don't think any are above average. Bergevin possibly, we will see how the rest of this season plays out. Trevling has the best team, good off season, drafting seems okay. Dorion is riding low expectations and high picks to improvement, waiting to see him actually make a shrewd move. Need to see how Dubas does this season, lots of hockey to play.

Evergreen

Dorion also hasn't had to be in the position of managing the cap yet. That's where it starts to get difficult. I voted for Bergevin because I think he made some really smart moves this past offseason.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This is the assets Dorion had when he became GM in 2016 :

Mark Stone (24)
Mika Zibanejad (23)
Mike Hoffman (27)
Kyle Turris (27)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau (24)
Ryan Dzingel (24)
Bobby Ryan (29)
Clarke MacArthur (31)
Zack Smith (28)
Alex Chiasson (25)
Colin White (20)
Nick Paul (21)
Filip Chlapik (19)
Curtis Lazar (21)

Erik Karlsson (26)
Marc Methot (31)
Dion Phaneuf (31)
Cody Ceci (23)
Mark Borowiecki (27)
Thomas Chabot (20)
Christian Wolanin (21)

Chris Driedger (22)
Joel Daccord
Marcus Hogberg (22)

MacArthur (concussions), Phaneuf (age/injuries), Ryan (injuries/personal problems), Methot (injuries, claimed by Vegas) all regressed quickly which eventually created some big holes on the roster so can't really blame Dorion for that but he didn't really help himself with his first significant trade (Brassard for Zibanejad + 2nd). Always risky to trade a younger player with untapped potential for an aging veteran with an injury history, so it backfired. I also appreciate the intention in upgrading Turris to Duchene but that's another deal that totally backfired.

During Dorion 1st season at the helm, the team had 98 pts and went on a deep playoffs run (thanks mainly to Karlsson and Ryan) but it didn't take long before the team started to take a nosedive. The following season, with Erik Karlsson recovering from surgery and the other holes stated above, the team fell apart, finished low in the standings and didn't have their 2018 OR 2019 first (took Tkachuk in 2018, so Avs had the 1st in 2019) because of the Duchene trade.

Here we are 3 years later, yes there is a lot of talent in the organization but very few on the ice at the moment (the coach he hired is a big reason for that). So considering the young assets he started with, the top picks he was able to get as his team sucked and the players IN THEIR PRIME he had the luxury to trade (rebuilding teams don't always have stars in their prime for trade), how long should it take before the team sees significant improvements?

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Listen. Pierre Dorion has had not one, but two "proudest days of his life".
He's gotten rid of bums like Zibanejad,Karlsson,Stone, whom where all lockeroom cancers. Easy choice here AINEC

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Dubas has done a wonderful job and building a roster. Some poor moves this past summer though, but he is probably the best.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
On reflection, I voted Chevy. I think you have to take into account the market where the GM works and make allowances. He's done a consistently good job in Winnipeg and their drafting is first rate. I also like the PLD trade he just made. That's a team that no one will want to face in the playoffs.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You know that for a fact ?

Are you the assistant GM or assistant trainer ?

Have you bugged their offices ?

Ridiculous post.
They said it in an interview it was a group decision on TSN1200. To bring in veterans with physicality. (Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
On reflection, I voted Chevy. I think you have to take into account the market where the GM works and make allowances. He's done a consistently good job in Winnipeg and their drafting is first rate. I also like the PLD trade he just made. That's a team that no one will want to face in the playoffs.
Winnipeg has one of biggest scouting staffs, they do the all the heavy lifting. Chevy is really screwing up their draft and develop philosophy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad