Best GM in Ducks history

Best GM in Ducks history

• Total voters

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There’s only one right answer here. I would never want Burke to go through a rebuild with but as a finisher he’s outstanding and his communication ability with the fan base was something I really appreciated. At the end of the day he got us a cup and you can’t argue with that. He also left us an absolute gift before going to Toronto by hiring Martin Madden the summer before leaving.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There’s only one right answer here. I would never want Burke to go through a rebuild with but as a finisher he’s outstanding and his communication ability with the fan base was something I really appreciated. At the end of the day he got us a cup and you can’t argue with that. He also left us an absolute gift before going to Toronto by hiring Martin Madden the summer before leaving.
One right answer? Completely disagree. What Bob has done over the last decade is much harder than what Burke had to do, and that was keep a low budget team not only competitive but a legit contender even through a complete overhaul of the core team.

We seriously take for granted how difficult that is, it's almost impossible, and no other low budget team has done it over the same time period.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
One right answer? Completely disagree. What Bob has done over the last decade is much harder than what Burke had to do, and that was keep a low budget team not only competitive but a legit contender even through a complete overhaul of the core team.

We seriously take for granted how difficult that is, it's almost impossible, and no other low budget team has done it over the same time period.

I think a cup trumps what Murray has done personally.

We were a budget team to begin with but were definitely a cap team for a couple of years (also IIRC we were never in the bottom third in payroll, it was always around middle of the pack early on). I think Murray is a pretty clear second but he did have the benefit of Getz and Perry at their absolute best for 2/3 of the time he’s been here which really helped us stay competitive all those years. He’s great at drafting and RFAs which has also helped keep us competitive but for me a cup trumps everything. Burke was a finisher who was the right GM at the right time for us and for that he’s an easy number one.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Bob was pushing buttons back when Boston was trading Jumbo. I assume Bob clearly put in some work for that championship team as well, and with how successful we were able to be for so long - I went with Bob for longetivity, albeit there are some things I disagree with him.

Burke got us the cup and is entertaining, but he was not a good longterm option. But I love that guy and I'm happy he was our GM

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wish I could vote more than once. It would have to be 1a and b with Brian Murray and Burke. Murray did work and have most of that foundation in place for Burke to win in 07.

Yeah he drafted Getzlaf and Perry and traded for Rob Niedermayer. Three huge moves for the franchise. If he had a longer sample size and saw things through would have been interesting to see what happened.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Haha, Pierre Gauthier. The guy who accepted a meh trade offer from a divisional rival for Teemu Selanne in his prime.
oh man, i will never get over that. i want to know what drugs he was on to accept that awful deal and to trade him to a divisional rival on top of that

he also lied to teemu and said he wasn't going to trade him in the first place

Reactions: McDonald19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad