Best game ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
I'm not sure if this should be posted in another thread, but whatever, it should be said again. Tonight's game was just unreal, and I think it will(or at least should) be remembered as one of the all time classics. It was just one of those rare moments where, no matter where you are from, you just have to sit back and appreciate it all.
Hell, the bar I was at was of course going nuts when Canada won, but the thing that got me was during the presentation of the silver medals. Everyone was understandably talking about Crosby's goal still, and the game in general, and the medals were being handed out. But when Ryan Miller got his medal, everyone in the bar actually stood up and cheered. I mean, a room full of Canadians, watching the game on the opposite end of the continent gave a standing ovation to an opposition goalie after he lost the gold medal game. It's that kind of respect that I really wish we could see more of here on these boards. We were privileged enough to watch an absolutely epic game, and I for one feel that everyone involved deserves massive props.

heartandsoul

Feb 20, 2010
warm weather locale
From a skill standpoint, this was the best game ever played. The skill level on both teams was the greatest its ever been as long as hockey has been played on this earth. I was so proud of our guys to go toe to toe with the juggernaut that is Canada, the USA pride is glowing. Once they tied the game, the thought that went thru my head as a USA fan was "it doesnt matter if we win or not, we made our point, we showed our heart, we showed that america and americans have as much heart and guts as anyone out there"

Tavaresmagicalplay*

In terms of theatrics? Maybe..thought thats debatable. In terms of level of play no. You could tell Canada was trapping near the end. They were sitting back a ton. They didn't give up a ton of scoring chances but they also didn't create a lot. Although the one they gave up was a biggie.

sk666

Aug 3, 2005
Vegas
In terms of theatrics? Maybe..thought thats debatable. In terms of level of play no. You could tell Canada was trapping near the end. They were sitting back a ton. They didn't give up a ton of scoring chances but they also didn't create a lot. Although the one they gave up was a biggie.

THANK YOU, there was much better "Hockey" played in these Games, level of play today ...ZZZZZ...gotta love that Sid guy!!!

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
Well, that's what happens when you have two great teams playing against each other. They aren't going to give each other too many chances. If your idea of good hockey is bad defense, then yeah, this game sucked.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Two amazing teams that cancelled eachother out all day, game could have gone either way.

Hats off to both sides, and I can't wait to see these two teams get it on, next year at the World Cup.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Not sure what year it was but Sweden beat the Canadian team years ago in an epic battle that went to a shoot out where Peter Forsberg won it on a sick move...in terms of great hockey that was in the same class as this game today.

Mr Lahey*

All I can remember is the horrible closing ceremonies music now.

My olympics was ruined

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
The game with no shame.

The way hockey should be played period.

If you ever want to watch an All-Star game with purpose this was it. All four lines playing hard. Offense, defense, checking...had everything.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
I have seen much better games within the Stanley Cup playoffs and that is the duty of every American hockey fan to promote this game as exciting or more than what you saw today!

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Well, that's what happens when you have two great teams playing against each other. They aren't going to give each other too many chances. If your idea of good hockey is bad defense, then yeah, this game sucked.
No I thought Canada played fine defensively. I just thought that when they got the puck on theirs sticks they didn't play very well near the second half of the game. It made it a boring game because they played well defensively, they got the puck, then they just threw it out let USA bring it back then they took it away again and threw it out again until finally they got scored on. Which they deserved too with the way they player though I thought if Luongo had played a little better that it wouldn't have even had to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure if this should be posted in another thread, but whatever, it should be said again. Tonight's game was just unreal, and I think it will(or at least should) be remembered as one of the all time classics. It was just one of those rare moments where, no matter where you are from, you just have to sit back and appreciate it all.
Hell, the bar I was at was of course going nuts when Canada won, but the thing that got me was during the presentation of the silver medals. Everyone was understandably talking about Crosby's goal still, and the game in general, and the medals were being handed out. But when Ryan Miller got his medal, everyone in the bar actually stood up and cheered. I mean, a room full of Canadians, watching the game on the opposite end of the continent gave a standing ovation to an opposition goalie after he lost the gold medal game. It's that kind of respect that I really wish we could see more of here on these boards. We were privileged enough to watch an absolutely epic game, and I for one feel that everyone involved deserves massive props.

it was definitely a great great game. The bar I was at, myself included, went absolutely nuts when Parise tied it up with :24 left. Its a shame most of the people I know can't be more appreciative though of how far USA came, I mean who even expected them to win a medal at all? Instead most around here are busy hating on Crosby which is a shame. It was an excellent game, one for the ages. Hopefully it will do wonders for hockey in here in the states as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
From a skill standpoint, this was the best game ever played. The skill level on both teams was the greatest its ever been as long as hockey has been played on this earth. I was so proud of our guys to go toe to toe with the juggernaut that is Canada, the USA pride is glowing. Once they tied the game, the thought that went thru my head as a USA fan was "it doesnt matter if we win or not, we made our point, we showed our heart, we showed that america and americans have as much heart and guts as anyone out there"

except canada.

:sarcasm:

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
No I thought Canada played fine defensively. I just thought that when they got the puck on theirs sticks they didn't play very well near the second half of the game. It made it a boring game because they played well defensively, they got the puck, then they just threw it out let USA bring it back then they took it away again and threw it out again until finally they got scored on. Which they deserved too with the way they player though I thought if Luongo had played a little better that it wouldn't have even had to go there.
I would agree that Canada got too complacent in the final minutes of regulation, but I just don't see what you are saying about Canada just throwing the puck out. They got burned by letting up a bit, sure, I just can't see how anyone could watch this game without being ready to launch off their seat.

I know all of us on hfboards make our own judgements etc, about everyone. But this was just a rare occurence where you could see and feel that everyone was going balls to the wall.

HariKari

Aug 29, 2009
Calgary
The final of the World Juniors this year was an epic game, coincidentally between Canada and the US. Entertainment-wise a lot better, chalk it up to loose defence on both sides though.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Not even close. Terrible thread.

If the US doesn't tie this game late then it's a completely forgettable game. So by the US tying it you think it's the "best game ever"... give me a break...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes it was a white knuckle game. That darn Parise is just a thorn in the side of us and practically every other team he plays against. But Crosby has joined the lore of so many other great Canadians with his goal today. A tying goal with 24 seconds left, an overtime in the gold medal game and a goal from arguably the best player in the world is just what the doctor ordered.

Yeah Canada let up a bit, which they shouldn't have, and they didn't bury their chances. When it was 2-1 Staal had a breakaway shooting wide, Weber hit the post, Pronger hit the post, Heatley had a point blank chance only having to lift the puck over Miller, and Crosby missed on a breakaway where he looked exhausted. All of that would change the game but in the end Canadians still got their result they wanted and a MUCH more memorable game. This is a new generation of Henderson/Lemieux type of goals

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005

If the US doesn't tie this game late then it's a completely forgettable game. So by the US tying it you think it's the "best game ever"... give me a break...

How nice of you to take the time to post in this 'terrible thread'.
I guess your attention just proves how terrible it is huh?

kivaerijo

Apr 14, 2007
EastNashville

have to disagree. was a great game even without that goal. pretty intense for me the whole time.

DoomMF

Sep 17, 2009
I live NYC
Yup, US proved they're the best in the world 5 on 5, and Canada won the 4 on 4 battle in OT. :)

Kidding, great game, Canada and the US put on a nice show and Canada came out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad