Best finnish NHL season in a long time?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
In quality, not quantity that is.

It looks like we have three players hitting 82 points or more this season, when was the last time that happened? Has it even happened?

6 finnish defensemen seem to be regulars too, I remember the times we had like four at the time and had to convince ourselves our euro/ahl option during international competition was fine!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No, but depending on Teräväinen it could be the second time since 1987/88 that four players hit 70.

Jari Kurri 43+53=96
Mikko Mäkelä 36+40=76
Esa Tikkanen 23+51=74
Christian Ruuttu 26+45=71
Petri Skriko 30+34=64

Reactions: mattihp

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I wonder how many points Haula would have scored if he hadn't been injured for the most of the season. His points per game for the games he played wasn't great but that was early in the season when Vegas wasn't playing so great. Now they are just scoring a lot of goals and have a lot of forward depth, I'm sure Haula's PPG would have been much better later in the season.

Overall, great season even though there were some injuries and Laine has had a down year. Rantanen, Barkov, Aho and Teräväinen led the charge of forward group. Borgström, Kotkaniemi and Hintz finding their way into NHL lineups. And of course, Heiskanen has been very impressive.

Next season should be even better with more Finnish players in the league. Tolvanen and Vesalainen should be fighting for a spot, Kakko should make it right away, a lot of young defensemen breaking in: Jokiharju, Välimäki, Vaakanainen etc. Very exciting times for Finnish players.

Edit: Although I have to say that I am a bit disappointed overall with the defensemen. Ristolainen, Määttä and Vatanen haven't been that impressive, although two of them play in a bad team. I expected more from Nutivaara points-wise. Riikola and Niku have found their ways into the NHL, next season they have to stay there. Lindell has been his solid self, some things don't change.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I wonder how many points Haula would have scored if he hadn't been injured for the most of the season. His points per game for the games he played wasn't great but that was early in the season when Vegas wasn't playing so great. Now they are just scoring a lot of goals and have a lot of forward depth, I'm sure Haula's PPG would have been much better later in the season.

Overall, great season even though there were some injuries and Laine has had a down year. Rantanen, Barkov, Aho and Teräväinen led the charge of forward group. Borgström, Kotkaniemi and Hintz finding their way into NHL lineups. And of course, Heiskanen has been very impressive.

Next season should be even better with more Finnish players in the league. Tolvanen and Vesalainen should be fighting for a spot, Kakko should make it right away, a lot of young defensemen breaking in: Jokiharju, Välimäki, Vaakanainen etc. Very exciting times for Finnish players.

Edit: Although I have to say that I am a bit disappointed overall with the defensemen. Ristolainen, Määttä and Vatanen haven't been that impressive, although two of them play in a bad team. I expected more from Nutivaara points-wise. Riikola and Niku have found their ways into the NHL, next season they have to stay there. Lindell has been his solid self, some things don't change.

Haula led the team with 12ppg's last season. I firmly think he has some of the most consistent hands in the league. Ofc I'm happy and proud with the finns currently having success with some classy players, but I'm really disappointed that Haula got injured. I'm thinking his cap is way above last years 29 goals, if he would get to play with an elite playmaker.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hate u and proud at the same time. I know how much you love hockey. Ok i dont hate,but i dont want to meet you any more in tournaments. Please bottle some Sisu and send it to Swedish hockey. And some money to, we are broke.

Reactions: ElHefe

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

To be fair Nutivaara has exceeded all expecations already. Haven´t seen Columbus play so I can´t say much about how he has played. I believe he was healthy scratch at some point? I think if Nutivaara carves himself a career in NHL that´s more than we could expect.

Ristolainen. Well people seemed to go bit power crazy with him. I believe some even said he is already the alltime best Finnish D in NHL. Not entirely comparable as player, but reminds me of Niinimaa. Big minutes and offensive product in poor D corpse. I guess it´s small disapointment that he hasn´t able to develop in his overall game, but still not bad. Needs smaller role and bit of sheltering.

Määttä is clearly NHL defenceman. Considering all the obstacles things could be worse. Maybe the Teppo Numminen type of expectations were too high (raising my hand up). But solid NHL D nevertheless.

Vatanen is the only disapointment. I was expecting him to take bigger role in Devils. Riikola? Was big surprise in last years WHC. Big surprise in early season fitting to Penguins lineup. If he can carve himself third pair place in any NHL team I´m pleasantly surprised.

Lindell is great. Exceeded expectations and seem to do little things better every year. It´s too early, but Heiskanen may very well end up being the best Finnish D alltime.

We don´t yet have enough depth in D. But then again does it really matter. No best vs best in near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad