Best Finnish Center Right Now

Who is the best Finnish center right now?

• Mikko Koivu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mikael Granlund

• Henrik Borgstrom

• Julius Nattinen

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yikes. This is definitely a 2 man battle between Barkov and Aho.

For me its Barkov. Had a down year points wise but is still one of the better defensive forwards in the league. I think he will bounce back to 30+ goals and 90ish points. Aho is no slouch however. Looking like a consistent PPG center at only 22 years old.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I think this poll flips as early as next season. I'll eat crow and take the abuse if I'm wrong but I think Barkov settles into the 70-80 point range and Aho pots close to 40 and 90+ points.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Much like the Best American Center, there's really only 2 options needed (Barkov, Aho).

Also, just like the Best American Center (Matthews), there's a pretty clear choice at #1, IMO.

Barkov.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barkov, but the advantage is not as big as the vote may indicate. If Aho was playing in a larger market, I would say this would be a lot closer. He's a phenomenal talent.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I love Barkov but to be honest, i'd go with Aho.

Barky had a bit of a down year without looking at the stats he didn't look like his best self, still was able to put up near PPG i believe so he's morphed into a very reliable producer.

But Aho has a couple things on him. He seems to be settling in as a 30 goalscorer and in my opinion has a better variety in the way he can score. For example he's actually a threat to one-time it on the PP.

Most importantly though, it's the motor and skating that makes the difference for me. Especially in today's game that's very nice to have. Not that Barkov is a bad skater, but there's going to be games where his legs just aren't quite there. And i don't think Barkov uses his size so well that it would make up for it.

Personally i don't see Barkov as a much superior defensive player. The results of this poll clearly say that he's becoming quite overrated, which is not difficult to see why, on paper he's near perfect package.

People don't even seem to remember anymore how 1.5 years ago the Canes were the perennial "maybe? okay maybe not" team every year. Aho came to last season saying he's sick of losing and wants his team to hit a 100 points. Well they ended up with 99 but just like that the drought was over. And it's not like the team was that great still. Justin Williams was 3rd on the team with 53 points and while Teuvo has taken steps over the last few years, there's no way he's 70 point player without Aho.

The guy just is a freaking winner. I still remember how he was the best player on the ice against Canada in WHC gold medal game, without any NHL experience whatsoever.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Barkov over Aho.
While this is close, imo it’s not nearly as close as the best American Center poll where Eichel and Matthews are essentially a coin flip, with a razor thin edge to Eichel in the poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianSharks

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Much like the Best American Center, there's really only 2 options needed (Barkov, Aho).

Also, just like the Best American Center (Matthews), there's a pretty clear choice at #1, IMO.

Barkov.
No, the clear choice is where this one differs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Man, if Kotkaniemi and Lundell develop well, Finland could have a centre group that could hold its own against any team in the world. Stacked with two way centres who can pass and score goals. Obviously a lot of development to go, but Finland has been producing some incredible skaters lately. Seems like their run of nothing but good goalies is over. Any good Finnish goalies on the horizon?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Man, if Kotkaniemi and Lundell develop well, Finland could have a centre group that could hold its own against any team in the world. Stacked with two way centres who can pass and score goals. Obviously a lot of development to go, but Finland has been producing some incredible skaters lately. Seems like their run of nothing but good goalies is over. Any good Finnish goalies on the horizon?
Barkov, Aho, Hintz, Kotkaniemi, Lundell, Räty, Lambert.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Barkov, Aho, Hintz, Kotkaniemi, Lundell, Räty, Lambert.
I like Hintz, but feel he's more suited to a bottom 6 winger role with Team Finland (that's not a knock). Raty is a name I forgot about. I don't know much about Lambert. Again, Finland has a potentially very bright future at centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad