• Mud
  • The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza)
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Conjuring
  • Star Trek: into Darkness

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Add great gatsby, the conjuring, and star trek: into darkness.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Voted for Her and Blue Is the Warmest Color. I think Blue was my favorite of the year. Otherwise it was L'étrange couleur des larmes de ton corps. Her was a very good film too.

Edit: Added Before Midnight to my votes... strangely didn't have it on IMDB.

What I've got for 2014 is so thin...... my only 8/10 was The Babadook, which can't be the best film of the year. Otherwise I've got a half a dozen films at 7, Boyhood, Birdman might be considered... And a few films at 6 that I would have wanted to love and that were still good but just weren't what I hoped for, Bande de filles, Incompresa, Interstellar...

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I absolutely love 2013, might be one of my favourite years of the decade (that, and 2014) I could go at least 15 movies deep that I all truly adored and after that there's still a bunch I really liked as well.

1. Only God Forgives (Refn, Denmark)
2. Enemy (Villeneuve, Canada)
3. Blue is the Warmest Color (Kechiche, 2013)
4. Upstream Color (Carruth, US)
5. Under the Skin (Glazer, UK)
6. Stockholm (Sorogoyen, Spain)
7. Short Term 12 (Cretton, US)
8. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen, US)
9. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her (Benson, US)
10. The Past (Farhadi, Iran)

HMs: Honey (Golino, Italy); Coherence (Byrkit, US); Borgman (Warmerdam, Netherlands); The Garden of Words (Shinkai, Japan); Palo Alto (Coppola, US); Only Lovers Left Alive (Jarmusch, UK)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I absolutely love 2013, might be one of my favourite years of the decade (that, and 2014) I could go at least 15 movies deep that I all truly adored and after that there's still a bunch I really liked as well.

1. Only God Forgives (Refn, Denmark)
2. Enemy (Villeneuve, Canada)
3. Blue is the Warmest Color (Kechiche, 2013)
4. Upstream Color (Carruth, US)
5. Under the Skin (Glazer, UK)
6. Stockholm (Sorogoyen, Spain)
7. Short Term 12 (Cretton, US)
8. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen, US)
9. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her (Benson, US)
10. The Past (Farhadi, Iran)

HMs: Honey (Golino, Italy); Coherence (Byrkit, US); Borgman (Warmerdam, Netherlands); The Garden of Words (Shinkai, Japan); Palo Alto (Coppola, US); Only Lovers Left Alive (Jarmusch, UK)

I am quite surprised that I've seen 4 of your top-5 films (and less surprised that I haven't seen anything afterwards except for Only Lovers Left Alive). Enemy and Under the Skin were 7/10 for me. The Refn and Jarmusch films I have at 5/10 and thought were rather disappointing.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not a bad year when you look back on it. Mine would probably be Only Lovers Left Alive. Love Savi's top 2 picks as well. Didn't actually care too much for Blue.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Add great gatsby, the conjuring, and star trek: into darkness.
Since I think it's a pretty strong year (and those are genres that tend to get underrepresented in my polls) I've added all 3.

Not a bad year when you look back on it. Mine would probably be Only Lovers Left Alive. Love Savi's top 2 picks as well. Didn't actually care too much for Blue.

I'll include Only Lovers Left Alive in 2014 (that's when it got released in most countries).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
What a phenomenal year at the top. Went with Her (favorite of the decade), Blue is the Warmest Colour (possibly my second favorite), and The Act of Killing (an all-time great documentary), but I would recommend almost every film on this list without question.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Blue is the Warmest Colour and Her are definitely my top two, but the third is hard. It was between Gravity and Inside Llewyn Davis, but I went with Gravity at the end. The technology in that one is damn impressive.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
1- Tangerines (Mandariinid)
2- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
3- Louis Cyr
4- Omar
5- Rush
6- like father like son
7- 12 Years a Slave
8- Her
9- Blue is the Warmest Colour
10- Identity Thief
11- Dallas Buyers Club
12- Gravity
13- Short Term 12
14- Ida
15- We're the Millers

The main difficulty is finding the date of the foreign movie. I added the Hunt as my number 1 for 2012 and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya as my number 2 for this year.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Picked: Gravity
HMs: Like Father, Like Son; Upstream Color; Enemy; Blue Is the Warmest Colour

Suggested for 2014: Mommy
Also worth consideration: Ida; Goodbye to Language; Only Lovers Left Alive; Leviathan; Force Majeur

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I forgot about Like Father, Like Son. That would have been my third choice.

Man, what a great year for movies in 2013. There were so many good ones.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Man, what a great year for movies in 2013. There were so many good ones.

Almost too many to mention. I was just checking, and some that haven't been mentioned already but were also very good IMO: Fruitvale Station (Coogler, US); Young and Beautiful (Ozon, France); Blue Ruin (Saulnier, US); Metro Manila (Ellis, UK); Out of the Furnace (Cooper, US); Snowpiercer (Bong, South Korea); The Golden Dream (Diez, Mexico); Europa Report (Cordero, US); The Best Offer (Tornatore, Italy); The Spectacular Now (Ponsoldt, US); Stoker (Park, UK); Trance (Boyle, UK) and since I love me some good mumblecore I'll mention Drinking Buddies (Swanberg, US) too

Also had one of the more WTF movies of the decade with The Counselor as well :D

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No Under the Skin? Suggested it last time, I feel like maybe it would have got another couple votes. Favorite movie of all time so I would have taken it easily. Blue Ruin would be my next favorite, but from this list Prisoners and Blue Jasmine.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
1. Prisoners
2. American Hustle
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
Hm. Dallas Buyers Club

What a great year for movies

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
No Under the Skin? Suggested it last time, I feel like maybe it would have got another couple votes. Favorite movie of all time so I would have taken it easily. Blue Ruin would be my next favorite, but from this list Prisoners and Blue Jasmine.
I've got that listed for 2014 - it aired in festivals in 2013 but was properly released in 2014 - and I'll definitely include it.

That said, I realize that my determination of which year to include movies has created some confusion, and I feel like maybe I should have just gone with the IMDB-listed years, to keep things simple... but I've come too far to change now. :laugh:

Anyway, I agree with everyone that 2013 was a really great year in film... My top 3:

1. Her
2. The Wolf of Wall Street
3. 12 Years a Slave

HMs: Before Midnight, The World's End, Blue Jasmine, and Frances Ha

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Went with Wolf of Wall Street but seriously considered Her.

Vote would have been Under the Skin (which would be on my short list for my favorite of the decade) if it is 2013. Seen it listed as 2014 though too so I might still have my chance ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad