• Cloud Atlas
  • Skyfall
  • The Avengers
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • 21 Jump Street
  • Holy Motors
  • No
  • Perks of Being a Wallflower

You can cast up to 3 votes, and the poll will be open for 5 days.

Feel free to suggest non-Oscar-nominated movies that I should include in the 2013 poll!

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
2012 was the first year I started attending film festivals, which kinda shows in my best of the year list, with plenty of foreign stuff.

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild (Zeitlin, US)
2. Postcards From The Zoo (Edwin, Indonesia)
3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Chbosky, US)
4. Elena (Costa, Brasil)
5. Spring Breakers (Korine, US)
6. 36 (Thamrongrattanarit, Thailand)
7. After Lucia (Franco, Mexico)
8. Pavilion (Sutton, US)
9. Leones (Lopez, Argentina)
10. First Time (Yan, China)

Once again wasn't a big fan of the Oscar noms, I think Life of Pi was a fun theatrical experience, I also enjoyed Argo and Silver Linings Playbook to a certain extent. I thought both Amour and Lincoln were extremely boring. As for the other nominaties, there's some fun films in there although almost all of them have (in my opinion) too much flaws to be called good/great films. No was probably the best of that list. I also think Holy Motors and Cloud Atlas are two of the worst films I have ever seen in my life :laugh: I remember actually being angry after I watched those because they were just so, so terrible.

Some HM's: End of Watch (Ayer, US); Stories We Tell (Polley, Canada); Rhino Season (Ghobadi, Iran); Frances Ha (Baumbach, US); Me and You (Bertolucci, Italy); Kid (Troch, Belgium)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
2012 was the first year I started attending film festivals, which kinda shows in my best of the year list, with plenty of foreign stuff.

4. Elena (Costa, Brasil)
8. Pavilion (Sutton, US)

Once again wasn't a big fan of the Oscar noms, I think Life of Pi was a fun theatrical experience, I also enjoyed Argo and Silver Linings Playbook to a certain extent. I thought both Amour and Lincoln were extremely boring. As for the other nominaties, there's some fun films in there although almost all of them have (in my opinion) too much flaws to be called good/great films. No was probably the best of that list. I also think Holy Motors and Cloud Atlas are two of the worst films I have ever seen in my life :laugh: I remember actually being angry after I watched those because they were just so, so terrible.

Some HM's: End of Watch (Ayer, US); Stories We Tell (Polley, Canada); Rhino Season (Ghobadi, Iran); Frances Ha (Baumbach, US); Me and You (Bertolucci, Italy); Kid (Troch, Belgium)

Exact opposite, 2012 is the year I completely stopped collecting and watching films. Most of the films you list I have no idea of. I've seen Spring Breakers, it was ok. Just saw Frances Ha this week, it was really blah. Amour was good and Holy Motors I thought were pretty good. My favorite of the year is Berberian Sound Studio, but I am fully aware there must have been about 100 better movies that year.

I've seen 12 of the 20 films listed, most of them were ok at best but there seems to be less smelly crap than in the two previous list. I'll vote for Holy Motors, only to see the results, BSS is my real vote!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Cabin in the Woods for me. Such a well written movie and one of the best genre critiques I've ever seen. I also loved Life of Pi and The Master.

Suggestions for 2013 (not nominated for an Oscar):

Under the Skin
Blue Ruin
Prisoners
Blue Jasmine

2013 has to be one of my favorite years. Under the Skin is actually my favorite movie of all time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Spring Breakers would be right up there for my worst of the decade list. I hate that movie with a passion. I don't think I've ever seen an hour and a half movie that felt THAT long. Just frustrates me to even think about lol.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
1- The Hunt
2-The raid
3- Silver Linings Playbook
4- Moonrise Kingdom
5- Kon-Tiki
6 The Perks of Being a Wallflower
7- Looper
8- wreck-it ralph
9- searching for sugar man
10- The Avengers
11- The impossible
12- Skyfall

Last edited:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Exact opposite, 2012 is the year I completely stopped collecting and watching films. Most of the films you list I have no idea of. I've seen Spring Breakers, it was ok. Just saw Frances Ha this week, it was really blah. Amour was good and Holy Motors I thought were pretty good. My favorite of the year is Berberian Sound Studio, but I am fully aware there must have been about 100 better movies that year.

I've seen 12 of the 20 films listed, most of them were ok at best but there seems to be less smelly crap than in the two previous list. I'll vote for Holy Motors, only to see the results, BSS is my real vote!
Just out of curiosity, if you've seen 12 of these films, why only vote for 1 of them?

For the sake of transparency, I should be clear that the films I include in future polls is largely based on what I think people would vote for, which is influenced by the types of films that get support in the previous polls. So if I see big blockbusters getting a lot of support, I'll probably include more of them in future polls. And if I see a lot of support for foreign films or critically acclaimed films that are less well-known, I'll probably include more of them.

So if you've seen 12 of the films in the poll, I'd encourage voting for your top 3, even if you didn't love them all. It's up to you of course, but by voting, it makes it a little more likely that I'll include the types of films you like next time.

BTW, on another note, Spring Breakers and Frances Ha will be included in the 2013 poll, since I'm trying to go by the year that movies got a major theatrical release, to align with the year that they were eligible for the Oscars. Those two aired in festivals in 2012, but got a wide release in 2013.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
1- The raid
2- Silver Linings Playbook
3- Moonrise Kingdom
4- Kon-Tiki
5 The Perks of Being a Wallflower
6- Looper
7- wreck-it ralpn
8- searching for sugar man
9- The Avengers
10- The impossible
11- Skyfall

4. Elena (Costa, Brasil)
8. Pavilion (Sutton, US)

Just realized I can add options after the poll begins, so I've added Perks of Being a Wallflower to the poll.

Normally I'll avoid changing the poll after it starts, but I'm making an exception this time, since you both put that movie high on your lists, and the poll just started late last night.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Just out of curiosity, if you've seen 12 of these films, why only vote for 1 of them?

For the sake of transparency, I should be clear that the films I include in future polls is largely based on what I think people would vote for, which is influenced by the types of films that get support in the previous polls. So if I see big blockbusters getting a lot of support, I'll probably include more of them in future polls. And if I see a lot of support for foreign films or critically acclaimed films that are less well-known, I'll probably include more of them.

So if you've seen 12 of the films in the poll, I'd encourage voting for your top 3, even if you didn't love them all. It's up to you of course, but by voting, it makes it a little more likely that I'll include the types of films you like next time.

BTW, on another note, Spring Breakers and Frances Ha will be included in the 2013 poll, since I'm trying to go by the year that movies got a major theatrical release, to align with the year that they were eligible for the Oscars. Those two aired in festivals in 2012, but got a wide release in 2013.

I wasn't complaining about your job as poll-keeper at all. I am well aware that my favorite films will not win any of these, no worry. As for voting for three... I didn't think it through I guess and voted only for one on every poll. I'll go add a vote for Melancholia right now :)

Reactions: Howard Beale

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Silver Linings Playbook got my third vote but Stories We Tell, It's Such A Beautiful Day and The Dictator are all more deserving.

EDIT: Actually if I could I would use my third vote to nullify the vote for Holy Motors. Not a fan!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
PIcked: Amour
HMs: A Simple Life; Norwegian Wood; No

Suggestion for '13: Gravity
Also worth considering: Like Father, Like Son; Blue Is the Warmest Color; Upstream Color; The Act of Killing

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
you have 21 jump street over Shame?
Shame was in the 2011 poll.

And personally I wouldn't call 21 Jump Street one of the best movies of the year, but I'm trying to include a variety of types of movies, including the occasional comedy, and that was a pretty good one.

Anyway, I'm always open to suggestions for the next polls.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Cabin in the Woods

A wonderful movie that was 1 part classic horror/comedy romp, and 1 part deconstruction of the horror genre.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
2012 seems to have less consensus, compared to other years, which is interesting. A lot of different films got a handful of votes each.

Anyway, I chose:
1. The Master
2. Looper
3. Moonrise Kingdom

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
giphy.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really love Moonrise Kingdom. It might be my favourite Wes Anderson film after The Royal Tennenbaums.

I also liked Zero Dark Thirty.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Way too many I haven't seen on this list. Really liked Django and Moonrise Kingdom, but I have to give a nod to Skyfall which is easily my favorite Bond film (though I could brush up on some of the earlier ones).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad