Movies: Best Film of the Year: 2010

Best Film of the Year 2010

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
As the 2010s comes to a close, I think it would be fun to run see what everyone thought were the best films of the past decade.

My plan is to run a poll for each year, starting with 2010, then 2011, and so on, until we reach 2019. That way, we'll have a little more time to watch some 2019 movies before that poll.

For 2010, I've included the year's 10 Oscar nominees:
  • The King’s Speech
  • The Social Network
  • Inception
  • Black Swan
  • 127 Hours
  • The Fighter
  • Winter’s Bone
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit
  • The Kids Are All Right
As well as 8 others:
  • Incendies
  • The Town
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Certified Copy
  • Shutter Island
  • Blue Valentine
  • Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

You can cast up to 3 votes, and the poll will be open for 5 days.

Feel free to offer suggestions for which non-Oscar-nominated movies I should include in the 2011 poll!

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I watched 9 of these. Rated them this way:

1. Inception
2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
3. How to Train Your Dragon

(voted for these^ 3)

4. True Grit
5. Black Swan
6. The King's Speech
7. The Social Network
8. Toy Story 3
9. Winter's Bone

Feel free to offer suggestions for which non-Oscar-nominated movies I should include in the 2011 poll!

2011?
Source Code, Kung Fu Panda 2, Captain America: The First Avenger

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Black Swan for sure for me

One of the weaker years at first glance though.

I think I'll follow you on that one with Black Swan, which indeed seems a bit like a weak year. Other notable films not mentioned: Biutiful (my second choice I think), Bibliothèque Pascal, Mistérios de Lisboa, I'm Still Here, Tournée, Curling, Les amours imaginaires, and Marti, dupa Craciun.

I love the thread, and I'd like to see the previous years done. From 2010 on, I've seen a lot less films.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This'll be fun! Good idea OP.

Inception and True Grit are my top 2 choices for sure. Tough to pick that 3rd one, ended up going with The Fighter

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives is one of my favourite films of the century and an easy choice for me. I also liked Somewhere very much that year.

For 2011, Once upon a Time in Anatolia should make the list. Other movies worthy of consideration: Drive, Cafe de Flore, A Separation; Tomboy; Mysteries of Lisbon, Take Shelter, The Turin Horse.

Great idea for a thread.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives is one of my favourite films of the century and an easy choice for me. I also liked Somewhere very much that year.

For 2011, Once upon a Time in Anatolia should make the list. Other movies worthy of consideration: Drive, Cafe de Flore, A Separation; Tomboy; Mysteries of Lisbon, Take Shelter, The Turin Horse.

Great idea for a thread.

Mysteries of Lisbon is listed as 2010, but yeah pretty good film, even if far from my favorites by Ruiz. As for 2011, I have three 9/10: Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, L'Apollonide (Souvenirs de la maison close), and Melancholia. I'd also consider Schlafkrankheit, My Little Princess, Shame, En terrains connus, Polisse, and We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Imo that's a pretty meh list, I'd say Inception and Blue Valentine would make my best-of list of 2010, the others not so much. I found many of the bigger movie titles that year to be overrated.

Looking back at 2010, many of my personal favourites were foreign movies, especially Asian. The one that stands out as the best was Confessions (Nakashima, Japan), from Japan I also loved both Norwegian Wood (Tran) and Ghibli-produced Arrietty (Yonebayashi). South Korea had a great year as well with The Man From Nowhere (Lee) and No Mercy (Kim). My favourite English language movies included Never Let Me Go (Romanek) and Monsters (Edwards) and there were some beautiful Spanish language films as well with Even The Rain (Bollain, Spain) and Nostalgia For The Light (Guzman, Chile).

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Imo that's a pretty meh list, I'd say Inception and Blue Valentine would make my best-of list of 2010, the others not so much. I found many of the bigger movie titles that year to be overrated.

Looking back at 2010, many of my personal favourites were foreign movies, especially Asian. The one that stands out as the best was Confessions (Nakashima, Japan), from Japan I also loved both Norwegian Wood (Tran) and Ghibli-produced Arrietty (Yonebayashi). South Korea had a great year as well with The Man From Nowhere (Lee) and No Mercy (Kim). My favourite English language movies included Never Let Me Go (Romanek) and Monsters (Edwards) and there were some beautiful Spanish language films as well with Even The Rain (Bollain, Spain) and Nostalgia For The Light (Guzman, Chile).

Only film I've seen in there is Monsters, and it was indeed pretty good.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Shutter Island and Inception where probably my favorites of 2010

HM for Hot Tub Time Machine in the Comedy genre. Loved that movie.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
2010 had a lot of fun smaller/indie movies as well; Hesher, Flipped, It's Kind of a Funny Story, Third Star and Submarine to name a few. I also rated a couple of documentary's such as The Two Escobars and Senna, the last one especially.

Actually my top rated title of the year was Italian drama Longlasting Youth (orig.: Le Cose Che Restano) which was very similar to 2003's The Best of Youth however it's 6 hours long and I think it has been released as a TV mini-series instead of a movie.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
It's amazing how quickly time flies by. 2010 seems like only a few years ago.

My favorite film was Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. Might not count because it was a British made for tv film, but I watched the DVD as a movie in one sitting.

Next up is Inception, then The Social Network. The Social Network wasn't in my top list at first but it has weathered time well and it has gone up recently, in my estimation. The King's Speech gets an honourable mention.

It's amazing how many good films I missed that year. I suppose I miss many every year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm tempted by Senna. I loved that one. Did not care for Black Swan. From the list, I also enjoyed Blue Valentine. Les Amours Imaginaires is also a good mention. Somewhere is also a near masterpiece for me. One of the decade's greats. That'd probably be my pick.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Incendies (9/10) was terrific. Runner ups on the list are Blue Valentine (8/10) and probably Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (7/10). Lots of movies I liked on this list more than loved.

My personal favorite from 2010 would have to be 13 Assassins (9/10), with an honorable mention for The Other Guys (8/10).

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The people who think so highly of Somewhere, can I ask why?

I don't remember much of that film, but I have it at 6/10, which to me means I thought it was interesting enough to be seen / good. Nothing more.

(for reference, I have Monsters at 7/10)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The people who think so highly of Somewhere, can I ask why?

I thought the delicate cinematography was a beautiful sight and I thought the story had a lot of style without embellishing the potential pop and glamorous aspect of Johnny Marco's work and life. It works well in that there's a heavy, lingering atmosphere to its story without much of anything ever really happening which captures my attention. I also think it makes brilliant use of pop music without it feeling overly self-referential or as a substitute for style and substance. For example, I couldn't care less about Gwen Stefani's Cool, but its use in the scene where Marco's daughter is ice-skating in an indoor summer rink just hit it so right for me. Just a well-crafted and well-acted film all-around. I can't think of anything that it doesn't do well and its best moments are dainty in the best of ways, such as when Marco and his daughter lounging by the pool. Presentation of ennui at its best, with characters who aren't insightful enough to justify or articulate it. I thought it was an effective way of presenting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I think I'll follow you on that one with Black Swan, which indeed seems a bit like a weak year. Other notable films not mentioned: Biutiful (my second choice I think), Bibliothèque Pascal, Mistérios de Lisboa, I'm Still Here, Tournée, Curling, Les amours imaginaires, and Marti, dupa Craciun.

I love the thread, and I'd like to see the previous years done. From 2010 on, I've seen a lot less films.
Thanks!

Back in 2011, I actually ran polls like this for the years 1970 to 2010, but it looks like those threads have disappeared into the ether (everything pre-2016 is gone).

I'd definitely be open to running a series of threads for discussing movies pre-2010, but if I use the year-by-year polling format, I suspect we'll get a lot of similar results as we did in 2011... I'll think it over!

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Even though it wasn't the best. The Town was the best for me.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks!

Back in 2011, I actually ran polls like this for the years 1970 to 2010, but it looks like those threads have disappeared into the ether (everything pre-2016 is gone).

I'd definitely be open to running a series of threads for discussing movies pre-2010, but if I use the year-by-year polling format, I suspect we'll get a lot of similar results as we did in 2011... I'll think it over!

But we don't have these results! :)

And once you've done every year, make a best film of the 2010s, with all the winners!

Reactions: Howard Beale

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
It's interesting to see that 127 Hours has fallen completely off the radar, after getting quite a bit of buzz back in 2010.

Anyway, I chose The Social Network, Inception, and Black Swan (and so did everyone apparently :P).

HMs: Certified Copy and Scott Pilgrim

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is a pretty good year. Not just the actual list, but many of the suggestions as well.

I'll fess up as the lone vote (so far) for Winter's Bone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad