Best Drafted Goalie Prospects?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Kitchener on paper was the best team in the league. Too bad paper doesn't count for much. Without Gibson, the series goes to six maybe seven games.

Anyways, the poster I was referring to is obviously a Ducks fan, and he made statements throughout the OHL season about how bad the Rangers defense was and how Gibson was the only reason they were a playoff team/were winning games, despite him not actually seeing Gibson. Kitchener's defense was pretty great all season, and sometimes made Gibson's job incredibly easy. Gibson was awesome when they weren't.

No I really didn't. Stop lying. I came by one time in February for an injury update. Then again after the 64 shots against game to ask if the defense looked as bad as it did on paper. Come back with quotes and evidence of my constant badgering of the Kitchener organization and subsequent Gibson pimping. Yeah that's right. You can't.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No I really didn't. Stop lying. I came by one time in February for an injury update. Then again after the 64 shots against game to ask if the defense looked as bad as it did on paper. Come back with quotes and evidence of my constant badgering of the Kitchener organization and subsequent Gibson pimping. Yeah that's right. You can't.

Curiously, I could say the same thing to you.

You know what you said, it's not my place to prove you're backpeddling.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Kitchener on paper was the best team in the league. Too bad paper doesn't count for much. Without Gibson, the series goes to six maybe seven games.

Anyways, the poster I was referring to is obviously a Ducks fan, and he made statements throughout the OHL season about how bad the Rangers defense was and how Gibson was the only reason they were a playoff team/were winning games, despite him not actually seeing Gibson. Kitchener's defense was pretty great all season, and sometimes made Gibson's job incredibly easy. Gibson was awesome when they weren't.

Belleville provided a much much better defence in front of Subban than Kitchener did in front of Gibson. Just look at the shot totals both goalies faced this year. Gibson routinely faced 35-40 shots a night and had impressive numbers. Subban didn't face as many shots.

Kitchener's offense is why they were eliminated from the playoffs. That and quite simply, London is a far superior team. London proved this. I'm liking how Stolarz is looking as well. Impressive goalie crop in the OHL this year no doubt with Gibson, Subban, Stolarz, Binnington, Paterson and Sparks.

Again, going back to Gibson vs. Campbell debate. I like both goalies and they both should prove to be #1 netminders within the next few years. Really don't know why so many people have written Campbell off already, or so it seems on here anyway.

Had to laugh at the Spitfire fan saying Campbell was a bust in Windsor. Dude, he was by far the best goalie you had which might point more toward Spitfire lack of defence rather than poor goalie play.

Campbell is the real deal IMO, lacking some consistency at this point in his career but he wants it so bad he will get there. Gibson is a monster, cool, calm, collective, mature poised beyond his years. Both of these goalies make my top 5 drafted goalie lists not in NHL.

Gibson
Vasilevski
Campbell
Subban
Gillies

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Curiously, I could say the same thing to you.

You know what you said, it's not my place to prove you're backpeddling.

I do know what I said. Look I even went to go FIND what I said.

So....Kitchener's defense...is it as bad as it sounds? 62 shots against in 73 minutes.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1307823&page=16

Anyone got an update on Gibson.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=60877365

Those are all two of my posts in the Kitchener Rangers thread. The only place I would bother talking about Gibson. Would you look at all the insisting, implying, and badgering I'm doing! I thread ***** those pages with a whopping TWO posts! I'm not backpedaling. But you're either lying outright, or you're falsifying things for dramatic effect hoping no one is going to call you out on it.

Numerous times you either posted in a Gibson thread or came into the Kitchener thread and either said that Gibson is "carrying the horrible Rangers defense" or insinuating it. You just recently did it after the overtime loss where Kitchener gave up 60 shots. You did it numerous times throughout the season. You don't watch the team, so you shouldn't have commented on what happened. But you did anyway.

So let's recap.

Numerous times I've posted in the Kitchener thread=Nope

Gibson threads: I don't even talk about Kitchener. My contributions to Gibson threads are usually ETA since some misinformed fans don't know.

"Carrying the horrible rangers defense" never said that. You pulled that out of nowhere.

You just did it recently after the OT loss where Kitchener gave up 60 shots=No I didn't I was inquiring about the defensive group that included prospects like Murphy, Corrado, and Iafrate. I wanted an outlook on their performance cause that shots against sounded terrible. You on the other hand jumped to conclusions and assumed I came in to start some kind of flame war/gibson love fest which just simply isn't true. Your continued slander is either intentional lies, or beliefs derived out of delusions.

You did it numerous times throughout the season. No I really didn't. Gibson was injured after WJC's and I was too busy with the NHL season to care about how Kitchener was doing. Once again. My post count regarding the team is still...just two.

EDIT: Hey and just for fun, here are all the Gibson threads I can find followed by how many times I mention the kitchener team and their defense

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1008059&highlight=john+gibson (0 times)
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=843413&highlight=john+gibson (several times I talk about the praise he gets from Kitchener fans. I mention nothing about the defense)
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1137033&highlight=john+gibson (0 times)

Last edited:

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I honestly haven't seen him play much but as a Blues fan I thought Jordan Binnington had good numbers this season and has played well. Yet he doesn't seem to get mentioned much. How do people who have actually watched him play a lot feel about him?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Does Lehner still count as a prospect? If so, it's him. He won a Calder Cup and posted unreal stats this year in the AHL leading up to when the NHL started again. In the NHL, he's got a 2.22 GAA and .936 Save%. That's an unbelievably high Save% considering his GAA.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Belleville provided a much much better defence in front of Subban than Kitchener did in front of Gibson. Just look at the shot totals both goalies faced this year. Gibson routinely faced 35-40 shots a night and had impressive numbers. Subban didn't face as many shots.

Kitchener's offense is why they were eliminated from the playoffs. That and quite simply, London is a far superior team. London proved this. I'm liking how Stolarz is looking as well. Impressive goalie crop in the OHL this year no doubt with Gibson, Subban, Stolarz, Binnington, Paterson and Sparks.

Again, going back to Gibson vs. Campbell debate. I like both goalies and they both should prove to be #1 netminders within the next few years. Really don't know why so many people have written Campbell off already, or so it seems on here anyway.

Had to laugh at the Spitfire fan saying Campbell was a bust in Windsor. Dude, he was by far the best goalie you had which might point more toward Spitfire lack of defence rather than poor goalie play.

Campbell is the real deal IMO, lacking some consistency at this point in his career but he wants it so bad he will get there. Gibson is a monster, cool, calm, collective, mature poised beyond his years. Both of these goalies make my top 5 drafted goalie lists not in NHL.

Gibson
Vasilevski
Campbell
Subban
Gillies
is gillies far behind campbell and gibson?

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
are is gillies far behind campbell and gibson?

Gillies has nothing to do in this thread. He is a promising prospect, but he is by far not the only NCAA rookie goalie that had a great year. Wilcox, Hellebuyck and Kasdorf all had season on the exact same level of Gillies. HE is right now one of many good NCAA goalies and will be just that until he shows the same on the pro level.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Gillies has nothing to do in this thread. He is a promising prospect, but he is by far not the only NCAA rookie goalie that had a great year. Wilcox, Hellebuyck and Kasdorf all had season on the exact same level of Gillies. HE is right now one of many good NCAA goalies and will be just that until he shows the same on the pro level.

he said gillies was in his top 5 so i asked how he compares to players i know more about

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Really was hoping vasilevski or subban were still on the board when the devils picked at 29 last summer. Only way I possibly could have seen justification for not surrendering that pick

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado

Agreed.

MetalGodAOD*

Based on 1 tournament? Overated

Try reading the thread. Campbell has been lights out the second half of this season on the best team in AHL West. He's always had raw talent, but has been too floppy/uncontrolled. Mike Valley has been simplifying his game and it's having tremendous effects.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Try reading the thread. Campbell has been lights out the second half of this season on the best team in AHL West. He's always had raw talent, but has been too floppy/uncontrolled. Mike Valley has been simplifying his game and it's having tremendous effects.

My problem is his "elite" status was from 1 short tournament and he has not done anything special in 2 years until the last few months.

He is a great prospect. Not nearly as good he was touted when he was drafted and not nearly as good as some people think he is. Maybe you guys are right and he may have fixed his issues. But this reminds me of when people were saying Kessel was gonna score 60 after 3 great months last year, after like 4 years of consistent 30 goal scoring.

I understand goalies are different and develop at a different pace, especially when compared to skaters, but you cannot ignore the last few years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sparks is looking pretty good, especially considering where he was drafted.

He's from the same draft as Gibson, played on a significantly worse team compared to Gibson/Subban, tied the league lead for shutouts (with Binnington) and was 5th for save %. Not bad for a recent 7th round pick and for a guy playing on Guelph.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Here's a new one for you ....

Connor Hellebuyck.

The kid had a tremendous year for UMass - Lowell. You're going to start hearing a lot more about him in the coming seasons. A 5th round steal imo.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
What is everyone opinion on Johan Gustafsson he played very well in 2012 for Sweden in the WJC winning gold. Whats the story on Andrei Makarov? When is he draft eligible, for those who dont remember he made 57/58 saves in the Gold Medal game in 2012 vs Sweden in the WJC

captaincaptain

Mar 9, 2011
What is everyone opinion on Johan Gustafsson he played very well in 2012 for Sweden in the WJC winning gold. Whats the story on Andrei Makarov? When is he draft eligible, for those who dont remember he made 57/58 saves in the Gold Medal game in 2012 vs Sweden in the WJC

Makarov passed through last summer's draft and was signed by Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad