Best DMan and best goalie?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its early and we only have an 8 game sample, but both Weber and Price have a very impressive resume to back them up.

So right now do you think we have the best Dman and Goalie in the league? I would say in the east for sure.

Weber isn't going to keep up his point pace, but he has been doing this for a decade and from what little we have seen from him I don't think he is all of a sudden going to just drop off.

Price is Price. Does anyone think he is just going to start sucking?

So what other teams stack up against those two out there?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is a thread really needed to assert that Weber and Price are the "best"?

What is the point, given that we already know Price has won a ton of hardware and has backed it up as the league's top goalie. Meantime, Weber's pedigree has already been lauded in numerous threads dedicated to him.

Glad to have Price and Weber. Are we going to have a conversation about how great they are as a duo, every 8 games where the team is doing well? They are outstanding players, will anyone say the opposite? You're preaching to the converted.

8 games do not a season make. There will be ups and both of these players will experience their lot of games where they are not at their best. Whatever will we do then -- have a thread about how they are regressing? I really think the conversation is premature. Wouldn't mind an end of season recap though -- there will be a lot more data, allowing better comparatives to their peers. Just my opinion.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Weber is a TOP 5 dman. The best ? Doughty and Keith says hi

As for Price. Its pretty clear that he is the best.

Are Keith and doughty playing better than Weber right now ?

Weber has always been considered a top 10. Some even think he was robbed of a Norris or 2. With price back th3re I think he could hav3 a Norris season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Are Keith and doughty playing better than Weber right now ?

Weber has always been considered a top 10. Some even think he was robbed of a Norris or 2. With price back th3re I think he could hav3 a Norris season.

If you're taking a snapshot in time, then the answer is no, Weber is the best but Montoya is ahead of Price. Better GAA, better save % and has a shutout. :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, I think there is no question we got the best goalie and thus far this season, we are ahead by a longshot in having the best goalie tandom. Add to it, both our goalies are first round picks. Not sure how many teams can boast that.

Right now, clearly Weber is right up there among the best in the stats that matter when it comes to Norris consideration. Do I think he is the best? No (still say it's Doughty), but he is definitely top-5 and I'd vote for him #1 if we were voting for the Norris today based on current stats and how they are playing right now.

But... we are 8 games in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are we talking defensibly or all around? When Weber was acquired, that's the first thing I thought of (after getting myself beyond the fact PK was gone)... was dam! The Price/Weber combo will be awesome! Habs are no longer considered a "push over" kind of team. Still soft up the middle with DD and Pleky but that's extremely hard to change in a heart beat.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Are we talking defensibly or all around? When Weber was acquired, that's the first thing I thought of (after getting myself beyond the fact PK was gone)... was dam! The Price/Weber combo will be awesome! Habs are no longer considered a "push over" kind of team. Still soft up the middle with DD and Pleky but that's extremely hard to change in a heart beat.

4+ years. is patient still alive? :laugh:

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
If Weber can keep this up he may just win his first Norris. That would be something.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Price is the best.
Weber is a top 10 defenseman.
Pacioretty is a top 10 Left winger.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If you're taking a snapshot in time, then the answer is no, Weber is the best but Montoya is ahead of Price. Better GAA, better save % and has a shutout. :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, I think there is no question we got the best goalie and thus far this season, we are ahead by a longshot in having the best goalie tandom. Add to it, both our goalies are first round picks. Not sure how many teams can boast that.

Right now, clearly Weber is right up there among the best in the stats that matter when it comes to Norris consideration. Do I think he is the best? No (still say it's Doughty), but he is definitely top-5 and I'd vote for him #1 if we were voting for the Norris today based on current stats and how they are playing ]right now.

But... we are 8 games in.

Not just any first round pick
Price 5th overall pick
Montoya 6th overall pick

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If Weber can keep this up he may just win his first Norris. That would be something.

Playing in front of Price really helps.

IF Weber has a big year with all the media attention from the trade I think the Norris is in the bag for him.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
We don't have Drew Doughty, so no, we don't have the best defenseman.

We may have the best D-man/Goalie combo though.

- Doughty/Quick
- Keith/Crawford
- Hedman/Bishop

All come to mind, but we've got the edge there

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
We don't have Drew Doughty, so no, we don't have the best defenseman.

We may have the best D-man/Goalie combo though.

- Doughty/Quick
- Keith/Crawford
- Hedman/Bishop

All come to mind, but we've got the edge there

Good points. Its going to be hard for any team to beat Price so we have a leg up in the best goalie department.

Question is would you take any of those pairs over the pair we have. Trade both for both?

Doughty/Quick is the only combo that entices me.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Doughty, subban, karlsson, keith, hedman, burns are all ahead of Weber. 8 games won't change that.

Quick, Rinne, Anderson, Crawford, Bishop, Jones. Would you take any of those above Price?

The only competition for our 1-2 punch right now is LA but Quick is MIA.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Quick, Rinne, Anderson, Crawford, Bishop, Jones. Would you take any of those above Price?

The only competition for our 1-2 punch right now is LA but Quick is MIA.

No. But as I said, I'd take those 5 defensemen over Weber.

And this goalie-defenseman combo shouldn't be a new revelation or mind-blowing news to you...we had Subban-Price last year, one could argue we downgraded.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Habs certainly has one of the best blueline in the league and of course, the best goaltender of the world.. We are built the exact opposite as a team like Edmonton.. Oilers have an explosive offense while being rather average defensively and in goal, (though they are improving but still lacking a real quarterback on D) while the Habs are getting better offensively but still not among the best offensive teams in the league IMO.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Price is not the best goalie, he's the best hockey player on the planet, period.

He'd be making crazy saves and leading the Habs to a 100 pts season even without Weber (or Subban before).

He's that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad