• Elia Kazan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Where the **** is Denis Villeneuve

The poll function only lets you have so many options lol.

I was debating including him over some others, but ultimately I think he's about 5-10 years (and 2-3 more quality films) away from being a serious consideration.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
1. Raoul Ruiz, no contest

2. Alain Resnais, Marguerite Duras, Tsai Ming-Liang
3. Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Jean-Luc Godard, Michael Haneke
4. Luis Bunuel, Chris Marker, Alain Robbe-Grillet
5. Yorgos Lanthimos, Abel Ferrara, Atom Egoyan, David Cronenberg, Brian De Palma, Éric Rohmer, Gaspar Noé, Pascal Bonitzer, Nobuhiro Suwa, Andrei Tarkovsky, Lars Von Trier, Catherine Breillat, Werner Schroeter, Emir Kusturica, Stanley Kubrick, etc.

Probably forgetting quite a few.

I understand that most of my favorites might not be very popular choices and not in the poll, but Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Bunuel, Tarkovsky, and maybe Chris Marker and Haneke should be ahead of quite a few of the choices there.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There have been many great directors, but a few more underrated ones worth mentioning are Victor Erice, Edward Yang, Marlen Khutsiev and Michael Powell.

And what about women directors? Honestly most of my picks are men (movies are historically a male dominated industry after all), but I do like the work of Maya Deren, Larisa Shepitko and Gillian Armstrong a lot.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I have to go with Spielberg. He's done so many great movies, blockbusters and more serious ones.

I also always like Robert Zemeckis and he should be in the poll before a couple others (Peter Jackson, besides LOTR, hasn't done enough things to be considered the best ever, IMO. Zemeckis has Back to the future, Forrest Gump, Roger Rabbit).

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1. Raoul Ruiz, no contest

2. Alain Resnais, Marguerite Duras, Tsai Ming-Liang
3. Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Jean-Luc Godard, Michael Haneke
4. Luis Bunuel, Chris Marker, Alain Robbe-Grillet
5. Yorgos Lanthimos, Abel Ferrara, Atom Egoyan, David Cronenberg, Brian De Palma, Éric Rohmer, Gaspar Noé, Pascal Bonitzer, Nobuhiro Suwa, Andrei Tarkovsky, Lars Von Trier, Catherine Breillat, Werner Schroeter, Emir Kusturica, Stanley Kubrick, etc.

Probably forgetting quite a few.

I understand that most of my favorites might not be very popular choices and not in the poll, but Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Bunuel, Tarkovsky, and maybe Chris Marker and Haneke should be ahead of quite a few of the choices there.
Tsai Ming-liang's I Don't Want to Sleep Alone is my favourite film of the century (pretty much in a tie with Jia Zhangke's Still Life). Both are in my all-time Top Ten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad