Best defensive players - location based.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Bare with me here, these thoughts are forming at a late hour.

Watching replays of Leafs games from this year (got some time off, as missing hockey already), I noted how well Jay McClement defends between the two point men while the Leafs are on the PK. I was wondering if anyone on this wonderful forum has ever thought to of attempting to quantify, or knows of someone who has, the effectiveness of defensive players in different locations on the ice. Sorry if that seems muddled, but for example, trying the answer questions like -

Who is the best crease-clearing defenceman?
Which forward is most effective at breaking up half-wall play?
Who is be best player at defending the high-slot?
Which player breaks up the most D to D point passes on the PK?

I understand that these location-based stats would be difficult to come by, but I feel like it could uncover some unappreciated players who are very good at specific, but valuable tasks, like moving a Holmstrom-type from the front of the net, or the best at breaking up a cycling PK.

Just interested in the conversation, and if there are any statistical articles about this topic. Thanks.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Stats don't capture this as of yet. We would have to use proxies for example, how many goals against or shots against to understand how effective they were at clearing the crease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad