Best defensive pairing ever?

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
What I could remember I would go with Niedermayer - Pronger.
If I should stand against them in a game, I throw my stick far away and run for my life out of rink :laugh:
Chelios - Lidstrom version 2002 seems pretty good, too. Also McInnis - Pronger.

Again... run for my life... Niedermayer - Pronger

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
Where would Ivan "Ching" Johnson - Earl Seibert rank? Those are two hard nosed d-men. Johnson was considered the best open ice hitter of his day and Seibert was an excellent defensive defenseman, but also could rush the puck.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Orr and Park only played 10 games together.....made for a cool picture though:

1of10large.jpg

If that picture was blown up and stood up on the ice, the other team would be so intimidated it would probably forfeit.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Konstantinov and Lidstrom together would have been on the list if it was not due to Vladdie's tragic injury. Together, they shut down the Flyer's Legion of Doom line in the finals. Lidstrom was just starting to come into his own and Vladdie was his perfect partner as one of the best open ice hitters and an under-rated puck mover. At the time, we did not know if Vladdie or Lidstrom was better.

If they had the chance to develop and play together for years it would have been unreal and domination.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Fetisov-Kasatonov

Robinson-Savard

Coffey-Lowe

Pronger-MacInnis

Pronger-Niedermayer

Chelios-Suter

Howe-McCrimmon

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Cleghorn and Shore together should have been illegal.
They probably made some heads roll..

Wasn't Shore more often paired with Lionel Hitchman? I was under the impression Hitchman was a mainstay with Shore for several years.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If I want to win the pair I take would be Robinson and Savard in a nanosecond. FOr what it's worth Savard is very underrated around here. Not many d-man would be described as playing "errorless" defense. But that was Savard. For about 7 years they paired off and the result was absolute dominance especially if you like to use the +/- stat.

Another poster mention Horton and Stanley. That's a pretty good one that had long shelf life but they fall just a bit short of Savard/Robinson.

I'm trying to remember here, did Harvey and Johnson play much together? That would be up there if they did.

And my memory serves me that Pronovost and Kelly did NOT play much together but I could be wrong. Anyways, that would be quite a pairing

FTR Red was mostly paired with Leo Reise Jr

......and yes Johnston & Harvey spent quite a few seasons together at least to my knowledge

Clancy & Day

Clapper & Shore

Conacher & Coulter

Kelly & Reise Jr

Horton & Stanley

Orr & D Smith

Savard & Robinson

Johston & Harvey

McInnis & Pronger

Potvin & Persson

all dynamic duos no doubt

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

......and yes Johnston & Harvey spent quite a few seasons together at least to my knowledge

Clancy & Day

Clapper & Shore

Conacher & Coulter

Kelly & Reise Jr

Horton & Stanley

Orr & D Smith

Savard & Robinson

Johston & Harvey

McInnis & Pronger

Potvin & Persson

As I mentioned to you before, it's unlikely that Clapper and Shore played together. The two were only defensemen at the same time for two seasons: 1937-38 and 1938-39. The bio for Jack Portland states that he was Eddie Shore's partner, and he was only on the the team for three full seasons, '37, '38, and '39. He and Shore were shipped off at almost the same time in the 1940 season, too.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
As I mentioned to you before, it's unlikely that Clapper and Shore played together. The two were only defensemen at the same time for two seasons: 1937-38 and 1938-39. The bio for Jack Portland states that he was Eddie Shore's partner, and he was only on the the team for three full seasons, '37, '38, and '39. He and Shore were shipped off at almost the same time in the 1940 season, too.

possibly true, don't know for sure though.......anything else

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Did Lidstrom/Konstantinov play much together?

Man, some good pairings listed so far!

No. Some PK time, but Nick when he started was paired with McCrimmon, then he let Coffey roam free for a few years, then was paired with Murphy. Konstantinov played with Chiasson and then mostly with Fetisov until the crash.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008

Clancy & Day

Clapper & Shore

Conacher & Coulter

Kelly & Reise Jr

Horton & Stanley

Orr & D Smith

Savard & Robinson

Johston & Harvey

McInnis & Pronger

Potvin & Persson

Johnson and Harvey were rarely if at all paired as a duo. Toe Blake pretty much rotated the other three (sometimes four) defenseman around Harvey and Johnson. If you watch some of the old games you'll see that there is rarely a moment where the Canadiens don't have either Harvey and Johnson on the ice, but rarely, if ever are they paired together.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Johnson and Harvey were rarely if at all paired as a duo. Toe Blake pretty much rotated the other three (sometimes four) defenseman around Harvey and Johnson. If you watch some of the old games you'll see that there is rarely a moment where the Canadiens don't have either Harvey and Johnson on the ice, but rarely, if ever are they paired together.

I see the point and while I suppose he could have invariably been paired with Bouchard as much as St Laurent or Johnson maybe even perhaps Talbot the youngster of the group, it also makes sense that he spent a greater amount of time on the the ice with Johnson.

Dark Shadows may have a firmer grip on this than you or I as he is a witness and an afficiando of those "Flying Frenchmen"

not if you're expecting me to say that those aren't great pairings.

But yeah, one more thing - are you just assuming Conacher and Coulter played together, or do you have some proof of that?

Yup they are;)

Intuition/assumption of course, the teams two best D, short benches in the old days, short scheds that put bigger a premium on winning every game. Any coach I've ever known puts his best guys on as much as possible. There is unfortunately, not a lot of anecdotal evidence of this pairing nor of eithers career for that matter, as you well know;)

Last edited:

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
I see the point and while I suppose he could have invariably been paired with Bouchard as much as St Laurent or Johnson maybe even perhaps Talbot the youngster of the group, it also makes sense that he spent a greater amount of time on the the ice with Johnson.

Dark Shadows may have a firmer grip on this than you or I as he is a witness and an afficiando of those "Flying Frenchmen"

No offense to Dark Shadows who is knowledgeable about the topic, but having watched all of the available footage (including some unavailable to the general public), in addition to having comprehensively interviewed Red Fisher, Dick Irvin, Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Dickie Moore, Phil Goyette etc ... all (in the research for my Jacques Plante biography) I think I have some grasp of the issue.

In the course of my research I was also fortunate to be able to discuss Doug Harvey at length with Jean-Guy Talbot and 'Junior' Langlois (two Habs defensemen of the time) and it is from these discussions (and then a later check of the available footage) that I became aware of Toe Blake's penchant for not having Harvey and Johnson on the ice at the same time, and of rotating his other defensemen through them.

To repeat, according to the available footage, as well as the testimonials of Talbot and Langlois ... Harvey and Johnson were not a regular defense pairing.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No offense to Dark Shadows who is knowledgeable about the topic, but having watched all of the available footage (including some unavailable to the general public), in addition to having comprehensively interviewed Red Fisher, Dick Irvin, Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Dickie Moore, Phil Goyette etc ... all (in the research for my Jacques Plante biography) I think I have some grasp of the issue.

In the course of my research I was also fortunate to be able to discuss Doug Harvey at length with Jean-Guy Talbot and 'Junior' Langlois (two Habs defensemen of the time) and it is from these discussions (and then a later check of the available footage) that I became aware of Toe Blake's penchant for not having Harvey and Johnson on the ice at the same time, and of rotating his other defensemen through them.

To repeat, according to the available footage, as well as the testimonials of Talbot and Langlois ... Harvey and Johnson were not a regular defense pairing.

Thats very cool, thanks for that and all the best with your book, is it your first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad