Best defensive defenseman in 2019 draft?

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
Who'd you consider the best or top 5 D-men in terms of defensive capabilities, shot suppression, etc.?
How'd you rank guys like Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider, York, Heinola, Harley, etc.?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd say it's something like this:

Seider
Soderstrom
Byram/York
Broberg
Harley/Heinola

I haven't really paid much attention to dmen this year though (Oilers desperately need forwards). So I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'd say it's something like this:

Seider/Soderstrom
Byram/York
Heinola
Harley/Broberg

I haven't really paid much attention to dmen this year though (Oilers desperately need forwards). So I'm probably wrong.
Switch Broberg and Heinola, and I agree.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Seider has an almost NHL level defensive game already, then Soderstrom is a couple tiers down from that. There really aren't that many pure defensemen in this draft besides Seider.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
In terms of ability to defend, probably something like this:

1. Seider
2. Robertson
3. Byram
4. Soderstrom
5. Johnson
6. Bjornfot
7. York
8. Heinola
9. Broberg
10. Kolyachonok/Misyul/Knyazev/Thomson

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
On the subject of defensive defensemen, I was listening to a radio clip in Vancouver and a pundit with a Boston accent was on talking about this very subject, and Ryan Johnson's name came up as a potential riser in this d-class:
Ryan Johnson at eliteprospects.com

Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned him
In terms of ability to defend, probably something like this:

1. Seider
2. Robertson
3. Byram
4. Soderstrom
5. Johnson
6. Bjornfot
7. York
8. Heinola
9. Broberg
10. Kolyachonok/Misyul/Knyazev/Thomson

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
On the subject of defensive defensemen, I was listening to a radio clip in Vancouver and a pundit with a Boston accent was on talking about this very subject, and Ryan Johnson's name came up as a potential riser in this d-class:
Ryan Johnson at eliteprospects.com

Edit: sorry just saw you mentioned him
I really wish there was video on this kid to analyze. He was a highly touted prospect and didn't put up point/game numbers this season, so he didn't get talked about much.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I really wish there was video on this kid to analyze. He was a highly touted prospect and didn't put up point/game numbers this season, so he didn't get talked about much.
Well for the record in the particular radio clip, the interviewee was saying that Johnson was responsible for shutting down Podkolzin in the World Jr A challenge in the match(es) between the USA/Russia.
That might be a good place to start if there is video available
Game Summaries | 2018 World Junior A Challenge

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
These aren't pure defensive defensemen, this is only based on ability to defend.

Söderström
Seider
Broberg
Byram
Björnfot
Robertson
Heinola
Kokkonen
Vlasic
York

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is there a future for defensive defensemen in today's NHL? Puck moving is becoming so important.
I still think there is room. Being a defensive defenseman doesn't automatically mean you can't move the puck... Every defenseman has to be able to win races for the puck .. win 1 on 1 puck battles and make a good controlled exit 1st pass under pressure. Not many D can do it all .

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not sure why people put Söderström so high on these lists. He's not bad in his own end and in a couple of years he could be great. But surely there has to be quite a few ones better than him right now? Björnfot is one.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I remember seeing the numbers tracked for the U18's. It showed the numbers for Vlasic.

Dead last by a fair margin in controlled exits, he prefers glass and out or just icing it.
But he is very good and defending entries into his own zone as he uses his tree trunk of a stick to force dump ins which was best on the team.
really poor at moving the puck,
great at clearing the net , and breaking up cycles.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I remember seeing the numbers tracked for the U18's. It showed the numbers for Vlasic.

Dead last by a fair margin in controlled exits, he prefers glass and out or just icing it.
But he is very good and defending entries into his own zone as he uses his tree trunk of a stick to force dump ins which was best on the team.
really poor at moving the puck,
great at clearing the net , and breaking up cycles.

He's awful defending in transition, but isn't bad when already in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad