Best "defensive" Defence-man of all time

J15

Mar 18, 2009
There's no arguing that Orr was the best D-man to ever lace 'em up, but that was because of the way he redefined the offensive role of the position. If we were to only look at the defensive aspect of the position the title of "best all-time" is debateable, who do you think the best defence-man of all time is?

Homer vote for Nick Lidstrom, IMO the smartest player in NHL history, he just didn't make mistakes. If there's was offensive break coming from the opposition and my team only had one player back, it's a no brainer to me I'd want it to be Nick.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Chara

Lidstrom was extremely smart positionally, his stick, he was physical

But chara is just down right dominant. His reach alone makes him extremely hard to play against

Orr and Bourque agree

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
There's no arguing that Orr was the best D-man to ever lace 'em up, but that was because of the way he redefined the offensive role of the position. If we were to only look at the defensive aspect of the position the title of "best all-time" is debateable, who do you think the best defence-man of all time is?

Bobby Orr was also one of the best defensive defencemen to have ever played the game, perhaps even the best.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Lidstrom is the best. Just watching him play and be able to predict, and knock pucks out of mid air when the opposing team is trying to dump the puck in demonstrates his unique vision.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Bobby Orr was also one of the best defensive defencemen to have ever played the game, perhaps even the best.

Probably. But Lidstrom didn`t score as much as Orr; therefore, Lidstrom must be better defensively. That seems to be the logic at play.

Shore should get a mention along with Harvey and surprising that there`s not more love for Big Bird....and that coming from a B`s fan.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

This -- Orr isn't just known for his offensive talent and how he revolutionized the position. He is in even more elite company amongst the elite company because he really didn't have any flaws. He was the best offensive defenseman, he was the best defensive defenseman, he could fight really well, he was tough, he was fast, etc.

chcl

Apr 8, 2009
This -- Orr isn't just known for his offensive talent and how he revolutionized the position. He is in even more elite company amongst the elite company because he really didn't have any flaws. He was the best offensive defenseman, he was the best defensive defenseman, he could fight really well, he was tough, he was fast, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure the romantic view of Orr is completely correct. Him being the best at everything is highly likely, especially with the style he played...

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Homer vote for Nick Lidstrom, IMO the smartest player in NHL history, he just didn't make mistakes. If there's was offensive break coming from the opposition and my team only had one player back, it's a no brainer to me I'd want it to be Nick.

Orr was known for being great in his own zone as well. Looking at his stats many people assume he was an offensive defenseman-that's not true. He was very very well rounded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad