Best defense man before Giordano?

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I don't know. We've haven't had a good 2-way defenceman in a long time. They were either a great offensive d-man (Phaneuf) or a great defensive d-man (Regehr).

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I'd say post 2005 lockout:

Dion Phaneuf was the best offensive defenseman we've had during his first 3 years with the team. Our best all-round defenseman was Jay Bouwmeester, I know many blamed him for a lot of the goals he was on the ice against, but we really didn't have anyone who could fill the minutes like he did every game. As for our best skating defenseman... Anders Eriksson by a thousand miles.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I'd say post 2005 lockout:

Dion Phaneuf was the best offensive defenseman we've had during his first 3 years with the team. Our best all-round defenseman was Jay Bouwmeester, I know many blamed him for a lot of the goals he was on the ice against, but we really didn't have anyone who could fill the minutes like he did every game. As for our best skating defenseman... Anders Eriksson by a thousand miles.

It's hard to include Eriksson for anything "best", but... yeah. You're right. Although I'd slot in Hale there too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The only Dman I've ever seen play at a higher level for the Flames other than Gio is playing at right now, is MacInnis. I actually don't even think it's debatable. For a couple of seasons Dion was fantastic at making an impact on the PP and throwing monster hits, but he was never a legit top pairing shut down guy. Regehr was pretty darn amazing as well for a lot of years, but never had the offence. JBo had a great 4 months under Hartley where he played like a top 10 dman, but still I don't think he was quite this good. Going back further, Housely was great offensively but pretty terrible in his own end. Suter was great to. But if your talking Norris caliber type of season, in my mind theres only one other guy and that's big Al.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Honestly, right now there isn't a dman in the league Id prefer over Gio. Yes, Doughty is a great player who controls a game and Weber is a great leader with a cannon. But Gio is just so well rounded and reliable. So much effort and no real weakness. Such a good guy, good leader, and community contributor. Just a real easy guy to cheer for. I'm not old enough to really remember the MacInnis days, but there's no Dman in my memory that Ive preferred over Gio.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
MacInnis, unfortunately.

Would have been great to see Bouwmeester under Hartley for 3 seasons. B. Sutter did not use him correctly.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who was it? How long has it been?

Edit: just to be clear, I mean someone better than Giordano.

Top-10-Hockey-Nicklas-Lidstrom.jpg

That's the guy who Gio for the last two years has reminded me of on the ice.

Suffice to say, I think we're on to a team that could be contending for a title much sooner than I can fathom.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad