Best D-men in Oilers History

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Al Hamilton?

Took a long time for this obvious name to be on the list. (the no WHA distinction is arbitrary and agenda based in anycase.) This is a huge name in our storied franchise and needs to be there. He's up in the rafters for crying out loud, he opted WHA AFTER NHL success. He played several seasons in the NHL. He played 8 seasons for the Oilers, he had seasons of 61 and 59pts while being a defensive standout. Al Hamilton choosing to come here was the first name to give this franchise credibility. He was the face of an early Oilers club along with Jim Harrison.

No love seen yet for Luke Richardson or Pat Price either. All those guys did is have long sought after careers.

Any of these guys were better hockey players than Steve Staios.

Any of them were fiercer D, and harder to play against than talented but indifferent Bobo Mironov. If we're opening the door that wide how long before mistake prone Janni Ninimaa comes knocking..:D

Last edited:

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
1.Coffey
2.Pronger
3.Reijo Ruotsalainen - without him, no cup in 89-90. the guy ran our D.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Ha! Love the Staios nickname.

There are definitely arguments that could be made for any and all of those players (except for maybe Brewer IMO), and they were certainly better than Steve Staios at hockey.

There were all sorts of factors though, and longevity did weigh in a little. And Staios was pretty reliable for almost a decade.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
  1. Paul Coffey
  2. Charlie Huddy
  3. Kevin Lowe
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Al Hamilton
  6. Randy Gregg
  7. Janne Niinimaa
  8. Boris Mironov
  9. Risto Siltanen
  10. Tom Gilbert

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
  1. Paul Coffey
  2. Charlie Huddy
  3. Kevin Lowe
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Al Hamilton
  6. Randy Gregg
  7. Janne Niinimaa
  8. Boris Mironov
  9. Risto Siltanen
  10. Tom Gilbert

I'd swap Lowe with Huddy and replace Gilbert with Hamrlik. I'd also bump Niinima to 11 and add Beuk.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Solid list. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but I'd flip Pronger and Coffee. The list is simply the best dmen who played here, and Pronger is one of the most dominant defensemen of all time... in all 3 zones. Not just one. He's literally the difference between contending for a cup and contending for the top draft pick

He didnt start playing great until late january when spacek arrived and he had adapted to the new rules.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How on earth is Niinimaa not on that list and Staios is?? :huh:
I can see why, if we are counting the length of consistent service from Staios in his favor. However, shouldn't that subtract a lot of points from Pronger? There doesn't seem to be a consistent logic to the list from the article.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can see why, if we are counting the length of consistent service from Staios in his favor. However, shouldn't that subtract a lot of points from Pronger? There doesn't seem to be a consistent logic to the list from the article.

If the criteria is "best", then longevity as an Oiler shouldn't be a factor. Whether a guy has been year one year or 10 should not affect what kind of player he is/was.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
All fair points for sure - I see how I was being a little inconsistent with my reasoning, but in the end it's just a list I made for fun.

Niinimaa was actually my last cut, but to be honest if you were to ask me who I'd rather have on the ice as a defenseman at any given moment, I'd say Steve Staios over Janne. Defensemen should be good at defense!

(and yes, I see how this statement now contradicts the fact that Boris Mironov is on the list).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad