Best D man from this years draft?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
what's so funny or interesting about that. stick to the Leafs board.

In a thread of "Best D from this years draft", mentioning the two offensive leaders in that regard are a valid contribution. Just funny how its finally going Torontos way in draft after years of mediocrecy.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You didn't take my advice and you obviously don't know what qualitative and quantitative mean. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking these stupid questions.

And apparently you still haven't answered my question. I know exactly what qualitative and quantitative means and the fact that you haven't answered my question means that you know what they mean as well and you just want to avoid it. If you can tell me how Karlsson is a better 'qualitatively' than Chara, Weber and Doughty with out bringing in his 'quantitative' stats than I'll apologize and admit he is the best defenceman of that draft.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Remember Rielly was injured at the draft, so there really wasn't an accurate reading on his potential based of his draft year. I'd say Murray is definitely more NHL ready, but I would like to think that potential should be based on the impact a player will have on his team rather than just being NHL ready. After all, it would be a huge waste if Murray makes the BlueJacket's line up and they still end up at the bottom of the league. I don't really see that as 'NHL ready'. (Referring to Nugent Hopkins and Taylor Hall)

Columbus has made alot of good changes with drafting of Murray to an already quite good group of Dmen and the trading of Nash.

If Bob can be even half decent Columbus makes a jump this year, if they finish last they get a Nathan or Seth.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
D men are very difficult to project. Would victor hedman have been a top 2 pick if 3 years down the line he has been who he is? what about luke schenn going top 5? Kulikov has shown promise and other D men from that draft seem to have high upside going into the second round with brian dumoulin. Who knows who will be the best when all is said in done from 09? so talking about '12 already? maybe rielly? maybe skeji? maybe pelech? maybe grzelcyk? lets let a few years go by first. maybe reinhart is a huge bust, or matheson turns into nik lidstrom.

Agreed. This is what makes drafting defensemen so much fun, just from a general hockey point of view; you can get a top 5 talent in the teens or even the second round. Rielly's producing very well on a terrible Moose Jaw team, but I really like what Lindholm's done in his limited time in the A. I mean, I lold along with every one else when the Ducks made that pick, but he slowly may be justifying it this year. I'm wary of Murray and Reinhart, not because of any perceived lack of talent, but because defensive defensemen are so hard to project accurately from junior. Still think they're both great players though. I like Ceci, but his skating turns me off a bit. He's putting up the points, which is reassuring. And don't look now, but Matt Finn is tearing up the OHL. Almost certainly just a hot streak, but you like to see that out of a second rounder. This should be a fun draft to look back on in a few years :)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Funny how Rielly is tied in CHL D scoring and Finn is #2 in OHL D scoring. Great first two picks for the leafs this draft.

Gives the Leaf fans something to hang their hat on eh?

Eternal hope.

Getting Lou will make you go wild and save Burkies job as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Remember Rielly was injured at the draft, so there really wasn't an accurate reading on his potential based of his draft year. I'd say Murray is definitely more NHL ready, but I would like to think that potential should be based on the impact a player will have on his team rather than just being NHL ready. After all, it would be a huge waste if Murray makes the BlueJacket's line up and they still end up at the bottom of the league. I don't really see that as 'NHL ready'. (Referring to Nugent Hopkins and Taylor Hall)
Columbus has made alot of good changes with drafting of Murray to an already quite good group of Dmen and the trading of Nash.

If Bob can be even half decent Columbus makes a jump this year, if they finish last they get a Nathan or Seth.

The organization as a whole has changed, Jack Johnson is going to be the new face of the organization, and the acquisitions of Foligno, Ansimov, and Dubinsky are going to be huge. CBJ gained 4 players who all have a change to take a chance to be a major role in the organization, which all take the pressure off murray to perform. All he has to do is play his game when his number is called. Jack Johnson is going to the perfect role model for Murray to style his game off of. They are going to be a very dangerous Duo for the future. And if somehow there is a season and we get Jones, oh boy.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The organization as a whole has changed, Jack Johnson is going to be the new face of the organization, and the acquisitions of Foligno, Ansimov, and Dubinsky are going to be huge. CBJ gained 4 players who all have a change to take a chance to be a major role in the organization, which all take the pressure off murray to perform. All he has to do is play his game when his number is called. Jack Johnson is going to the perfect role model for Murray to style his game off of. They are going to be a very dangerous Duo for the future. And if somehow there is a season and we get Jones, oh boy.

I would have higher expectations then Jack Johnson... Not to mention they are essentially polar opposites of each other so they would make a better pair if Murray translate his current playing style rather than model himself after JJ.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Jack Johnson sucks. Do you really want Murray styling his game off him?

Kershaw

IMO Reilly is the best defenseman in the draft. Next I would have Dumba.

WilderPegasus*

And apparently you still haven't answered my question. I know exactly what qualitative and quantitative means and the fact that you haven't answered my question means that you know what they mean as well and you just want to avoid it. If you can tell me how Karlsson is a better 'qualitatively' than Chara, Weber and Doughty with out bringing in his 'quantitative' stats than I'll apologize and admit he is the best defenceman of that draft.

The PHWA voted him the defenceman who demonstrated the greatest all-round ability in the position last season. It's pretty freaking simple.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jack Johnson sucks. Do you really want Murray styling his game off him?

Jack Johnson sucks? Lol ok.

21 GP for CBJ.

4G 10A +/- 5. LA was his problem. He was named Captain of Team USA this offseason. Jack Johnson is only 25 yrs old and has plenty of time to improve. He scored half of what he scored in LA in 60 games in the 20 games he played for CBJ. And that was with no offensive help or real defensive help. Now they have some veterans on Defense to help, not to mention the potential in the youth on the team. And now they have and actual offense where he can put up some actual numbers.

Oct 18, 2011
What is Lindholm doing? Is he a big point producer? Is he a steady defender? The way you are describing him makes him sound like he's tearing up the AHL like Dougie Hamilton is doing in the OHL

What is he doing? he's playing a top 4 role as an 18 year old the OHL is nowhere close to as good as the AHL

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The PHWA voted him the defenceman who demonstrated the greatest all-round ability in the position last season. It's pretty freaking simple.

:laugh: Greatest 'all-round ability' :laugh:

You're gonna need to shake your head if you actually believe Karlsson has that.

I mean, I'll admit that Karlsson's offensive numbers were impressive enough that he has to be considered a norris candidate, like Mike green was a year or two ago. But let's not kid ourselves, Erik Karlsson did not have the greatest all-round ability in his position last year. If anything, I am pretty sure he wasn't Ottawa's top penalty killer.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

21 GP for CBJ.

4G 10A +/- 5. LA was his problem. He was named Captain of Team USA this offseason. Jack Johnson is only 25 yrs old and has plenty of time to improve. He scored half of what he scored in LA in 60 games in the 20 games he played for CBJ. And that was with no offensive help or real defensive help. Now they have some veterans on Defense to help, not to mention the potential in the youth on the team. And now they have and actual offense where he can put up some actual numbers.

I really hope you have higher expectations for Murray than just Jack Johnson.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

21 GP for CBJ.

Yes. Jack Johnson has sucked his entire career other than 21 games in CBJ. Murray is already better than that scrub.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What is he doing? he's playing a top 4 role as an 18 year old the OHL is nowhere close to as good as the AHL

(I'm only bringing this up as a reference. Not in order to start a leaf debate) Luke Schenn was playing in the NHL as an 18 year old and he was actually doing well at the beginning. So forgive me if I'm not overly impressed with that general statement.

WilderPegasus*

:laugh: Greatest 'all-round ability' :laugh:

You're gonna need to shake your head if you actually believe Karlsson has that.

I mean, I'll admit that Karlsson's offensive numbers were impressive enough that he has to be considered a norris candidate, like Mike green was a year or two ago. But let's not kid ourselves, Erik Karlsson did not have the greatest all-round ability in his position last year. If anything, I am pretty sure he wasn't Ottawa's top penalty killer.

Since you disagree with them, it suggests that either you know more or less about hockey than the professional hockey writers association. Based upon your posts I'd wager on 'less'.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yes. Jack Johnson has sucked his entire career other than 21 games in CBJ. Murray is already better than that scrub.
Im not going to argue, but hes no scrub. His play, columbus' play will speak for itself this (if there is one) season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad