Best D man from this years draft?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Since you disagree with them, it suggests that either you know more or less about hockey than the professional hockey writers association. Based upon your posts I'd wager on 'less'.

You must be an Ottawa fan because everything about your posts screams extreme bias. Now if you want to believe that Karlsson is an amazing all-round defender then go right ahead. Who am I to disrupt your little fantasy world? But Doughty has a Stanley cup, a world junior championship gold medal and an olympic gold medal and he was arguably the top defenceman on each of those championship teams. So Karlsson can brag about his one season of glory while Doughty brags about the three biggest prizes in hockey.

What does the PHWA have to say about that?

WilderPegasus*

You must be an Ottawa fan because everything about your posts screams extreme bias.

Yes, I'm the biased one for stating who the PHWA voted for the Norris. Unlike yourself who believes he knows better than the PHWA.

Now if you want to believe that Karlsson is an amazing all-round defender then go right ahead. Who am I to disrupt your little fantasy world?

You're the one living in a fantasy world. A fantasy world where Erik Karlsson didn't win the award for the defenceman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position.

But Doughty has a Stanley cup, a world junior championship gold medal and an olympic gold medal and he was arguably the top defenceman on each of those championship teams. So Karlsson can brag about his one season of glory while Doughty brags about the three biggest prizes in hockey.

Does that mean that Mike Richards is better than Steven Stamkos since he has won all three championships as well?

What does the PHWA have to say about that?

They said that Karlsson is better than Doughty when they awarded him the Norris Trophy.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Does that mean that Mike Richards is better than Steven Stamkos since he has won all three championships as well?

Buddy, the goal is to win championships, you don't play to get individual stats. Besides, that's a bad comparison. Stamkos has had two 50+ goal seasons and has won the Rocket Richard twice. Karlsson has had one good year. Cheechoo is more of a comparison than Stamkos. Like I've been saying, one good year doesn't define you.

And if Doughty has a better season next year than Karlsson, those PHWA you respect so dearly aren't going to be so high on him anymore.

Karlsson is talented offensively, but he's built like a little girl. Like you saw in the Rangers series, once he gets into a rough physical type of game, his offensive talent disappears. What kind of top defenseman is that? But if he produces similar results next year, I'll gladly take back everything I've said. But for now, Doughty is a Stanley cup winning defenceman while Karlsson is a talented offensive dman that disappears in crucial games.

Anything else?

WilderPegasus*

Buddy, the goal is to win championships, you don't play to get individual stats. Besides, that's a bad comparison.

It's not a comparison. It's logic, something that you apparently lack.

And teams win championships, not individual players.

Stamkos has had two 50+ goal seasons and has won the Rocket Richard twice. Karlsson has had one good year. Cheechoo is more of a comparison than Stamkos. Like I've been saying, one good year doesn't define you.

Why do you keep bringing up Cheechoo? He is completely irrelevant and it is stupid to do so.

And if Doughty has a better season next year than Karlsson, those PHWA you respect so dearly aren't going to be so high on him anymore.

And if Karlsson wins the next dozen Norris trophies in a row, he'll go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Karlsson is talented offensively, but he's built like a little girl.

So was Wayne Gretzky. But no one ever claimed that Mark Messier was a better player.

Like you saw in the Rangers series, once he gets into a rough physical type of game, his offensive talent disappears. What kind of top defenseman is that?

You didn't watch any of that series, did you?

But if he produces similar results next year, I'll gladly take back everything I've said. But for now, Doughty is a Stanley cup winning defenceman while Karlsson is a talented offensive dman that disappears in crucial games.

I might actually take this seriously if you actually watched hockey games instead of basing your opinions on what you read in the boxscores.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Doughty is easily a better player than Karlsson, Karlsson just put up more points and has a better year this season

would you take Mike Green or Drew Doughty?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You didn't watch any of that series, did you?

I might actually take this seriously if you actually watched hockey games instead of basing your opinions on what you read in the boxscores.

I watched the whole series actually, but plz enlighten me. From what I saw Brian Boyle got under his skin in the first game. Ottawa couldn't get much in the way of offense for the first few games...actually, if I need to explain the whole series to you than there's no point arguing.

I bring up Cheechoo, because he is what Karlsson will become if he can't manage to replicate his numbers in the next few seasons. After all, this year, he flew under the radar with a surprising Ottawa team. Next year should be different. I mean all of your facts are based off of one season and you're calling this guy the best of an entire draft class full of good dmen that some haven't even reached their full potential yet. And you say I'm stupid? I'm pretty sure no one else wants to respond to your post because they realize how ridiculous you are sounding.

But anyway, to get back on topic, I'd say Murray, Rielly, and then Reinhart would be the best defenceman coming out of this years draft. Although Rielly, since Rielly kind of plays like Karlsson, so you never know how his offensive numbers will turn up like.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I find it funny how Murray isn't at the top of most lists.

Three years later and Murray still probably isn't on top of most peoples lists. Infact if anything answering this question (best dman from 2012 draft) is even more difficult now.

Such a deep draft for d!

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
1. Morgan Rielly (Comparable: Duncan Keith) Great offensive ability combined with an good defensive instinct and great skating
2. Ryan Murray (Comparable: Jay Bouwmeester) Very solid all-round game. Probably the best shutdown D in the group, great skating and still has offensive potential. Great leadership qualities as well
3. Mathew Dumba (Comparable: Dion Phaneuf) Explosive in terms of skating and throwing open ice hits. Has a cannon of a shot and can skate like the wind.
4. Jacob Trouba (Comparable: Shea Weber) The most physical defenseman overall in the draft, has a booming shot and underrated playmaking
5. Griffin Reinhart (Comparable: Brent Seabrook) Great size and defensive ability. Offensive potential, but just how much is questionable
6. Cody Ceci (Comparable: Dan Boyle) Big offensive defenseman with a huge shot and pretty good defensive abilities
7. Olli Maatta (Comparable: Ryan Suter) Phenomenal skating, decent offensive ability and strong shutdown ability. Does a lot of things right but not the best in any field.
8. Hampus Lindholm (Comparable: Tobias Enstrom ) Standard "pass-first" two-way defenseman. Great stamina and skating, and good passing ability as well.
9. Slater Koekkoek (Comparable: Zach Bogosian) Physical defenseman with good skating and a hard, accurate shot. Likely to be more of a shutdown D who can play the point on the PP than a puck-mover
10. Derick Pouliot (Comparable: Brian Campbell) One of the better pure offensive D in the class. Smooth skating and great vision to make the pass, questionable defensive consitency

Great list for 2012, only comparison I would say is really off is Maatta, and lindholm, I would reverse their comparables.

Enstrom could also be a comparable for Morgan Rielly as well. All in all super impressive analysis looking back.

Would love to see an update on this list from you dk.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Since no one has picked him, and this is basically a crap shoot, I'll go with Trouba.
Now there's a small chance I'll look like a genius when this thread gets bumped in a few years. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think Trouba has a good chance. After a year or two of polishing his game at Michigan, I think he could be a scary good NHLer.

So, should I be calling NHL teams about a job or will they be calling me? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad