best D in the 08 draft, 2nd, 3rd 4th round types

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
hey just wondering who you guys think will be the next good D coming out of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rds. players who are ranked kinda 40-100 right now. I'm breaking it down to best offensive, best defensive and best all around
here's the guys who I see best fitting in there and how I rank them

list (mid season rank)
Cody Goloubef (48)
Shawn Lalonde(49)
Matt Delahey(50)
Michael Stone(51)
Travis Hamonic(54)
Justin Schultz(56)
Brandon Burlon(57)
Andrew MacWlliam(59)
Cory Fienhage(61)
Steven Delisle(62)
Eric Mestery(63)
Julien Demers(64)
David Carle(74)
Jordon Southorn(75)
Roman Josi(5)
Tomas Kundratek(10)
Kristoffer Berglund(9)
Johan Motin(12)
Philip Larsen(18)

top 5 best offensive (in no order)
Kristoffer Berglund
Shawn Lalonde
Roman Josi
Philip Larsen
Brandon Burlon

top 5 best defensive (in no order)
Johan Motin
Cody Goloubef
Julien Demers
Michael Stone
Matt Delahey

top 5 all around D (in no order)
Roman Josi
Shawn Lalonde
Cody Goloubef
Philip Larsen
Johan Motin

Breakaway23*

Aaron Ness should be on your list, and isn't. He will be a 2nd round pick.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
i like both ness and bourdon too, i'm just not sure where either will go, bourdon could sneak up to the 4th i supose but i think ness will go 1st, i see someone in the 25-30 spots taking him, maybe a team with 2 1st's?

Buzz Killington

Nov 1, 2007
I don't know if his offensive skills are better than the guys you listed, but Goloubef definitely struck me as an offensive dman. A couple games I saw he was very aggressive and jumped into the play at every opportunity. His numbers weren't special but remember he was one of the youngest players in NCAA this year. There was a HF feature on him a few months ago: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10137/2008_prospects_cody_goloubef/ .

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Milan Doczy is ranked in the 60's I think by ISS. He is very underrated - big, strong on the puck, amazing in one-on-one situations. have no idea if he has NHL upside or not, but he could be a guy to watch, among others.

dougy

Mar 31, 2007
I noticed an overager in the OMJHL who is putting on quite the offensive show. Patrik Prokop. He may get a 7th round look.

Dillon

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
There are a lot of potentially great Swedish d-men that'll probably go in those rounds:

Dennis Bozic (i think he's in the 2008 draft at least)
Erik Karlsson (A great quartertyp d-man. His powerplay skills are already elit-level and he's already gotten a lot of PP ice time for his SEL team Frolunda.)
Mattias Ekholm

Are 3 of em. All three are currently playing with the Swedish u18 team in russia.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
There are a lot of potentially great Swedish d-men that'll probably go in those rounds:

Dennis Bozic (i think he's in the 2008 draft at least)
Erik Karlsson (A great quartertyp d-man. His powerplay skills are already elit-level and he's already gotten a lot of PP ice time for his SEL team Frolunda.)
Mattias Ekholm

Are 3 of em. All three are currently playing with the Swedish u18 team in russia.

Karlsson is the best of them. Amazing talent.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Mestery will turn some heads, indeed. But his teammate Tyler Schmidt should be a hotter commodity. Schmidt has proven that he can not only put up some offensive numbers, but can also be one of the top shutdown defensemen in the US division. A pain in the neck to play against, opposing forwards are more likely to get popped in the mush than get a rebound opportunity. He's got a downright evil look on his face all the time, too.

Schmidt should go somewhere between round 3-5.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Mestery will turn some heads, indeed. But his teammate Tyler Schmidt should be a hotter commodity. Schmidt has proven that he can not only put up some offensive numbers, but can also be one of the top shutdown defensemen in the US division. A pain in the neck to play against, opposing forwards are more likely to get popped in the mush than get a rebound opportunity. He's got a downright evil look on his face all the time, too.

Schmidt should go somewhere between round 3-5.
I really like Schmidt and I'm at a loss to explain why he has not been ranked by CSS. Perhaps that will change in the final rankings?

miltty

Feb 7, 2007
Got to agree with Go Chiefs Go and Timlap's comments about Tyler Schmidt. CSS has really made an error with this kid. I watched game 2 of the Chiefs and Ams and Schmidt was the Ams best defenceman in the game. I hope some NHL team takes this kid cause he's got so much character and desire its incredible.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Do I have this correct? Erik Karlsson is 5'06", 130 lbs. defenseman and plays for Frolunda?

That's a bit small...

Erik is small, but not THAT small. He is listed as 5'11 165 lbs ar Frolunda's site. Though I think he's more like 5'10.

Still he is bigger than such NHL defensemen as Tobias Enstrom or Niklas Kronwall when they were same age.

DEATHtrap

Dec 5, 2005
Ottawa
Erik is small, but not THAT small. He is listed as 5'11 165 lbs ar Frolunda's site. Though I think he's more like 5'10.

Still he is bigger than such NHL defensemen as Tobias Enstrom or Niklas Kronwall when they were same age.

Well watching the U18, Karlsson has me sold. He has been one of the best players on the ice in the Canada vs. Sweden game.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site

I looked him up on eurohockey.net and was shocked by his listed size. But if he is as big as you say, he has an actual chance to make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad