Best Curve (up close)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I just assume that if someone had good technique, they wouldn't be asking about more open curves. They'd look at some blades and say "hey, that one's more open" and buy it.

When I first started, I thought one curve was good for slapshots, another good for wrist shots, another for passing, another for stickhandling. I thought that if I wanted to be a good defenseman, I'd use the Lidstrom and if I wanted to be a good sniper, I'd use the Gaborik. I'm glad some people set me straight, and I'm a better player because of it.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
how many of you play golf? what is your handicap? would you rather chase the manufacturers dream of buying the newest driver to help you hit the fairway, or would you rather hit the range and hit bucket after bucket of balls until you understand the golf swing.
Are you the guy that year after year looks for the easy fix around your house only to have to make the same repair year after year?
If you take the time to learn to do something (anything really) the correct way you will find enjoyment and satisfaction every time you do that thing.

LISTEN UP BOYS... its the Indian, not the arrow.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
These threads always bring out the guys who "know how to shoot" and talk down to everyone else. It does get old rather than just answering a question.

Ok. Here's the answer. Hockey is a sport. Being good/developing any skill in a sport requires practice. If this thread was "Best Bat For Hitting Home Runs On Fast Balls" would you feel the way you do? Best Nikes for Dunking? The simple answer is you can't buy a piece of equipment that magically grants you a skill. If you can't shoot from in close, you need to keep practicing; that's all there is to it. Even a curve with a wicked hook that is geared towards shooting high will NOT help someone who simply can't do it to make it happen. Shooting is +95% technique, no matter what anyone else says about it. What buying a ridiculous toe curve in hopes that you'll magically start roofing pucks without learning to WILL do is handicap you everywhere else in the game. Rather than looking for an easy answer (there is none), you simply have to keep at it until you develop the skill more. If the OP doesn't have the resources that (according to you) we all must have had for practice, than he just has to keep at it in beer league and it will take him longer to learn it. Ultimately it will only come with time and practice. If you're shooting along the ground with a Malkin curve and you buy a Naslund but don't change the way you shoot, you might get a very slightly different result, but you're not going from shooting ankle height to going roof with an equipment change. End of the story.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
This rant is a little lame to be honest. Me and several others did answer his question... then several people got into an argument about curve vs. technique.

Also, not everyone who plays hockey grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth and had things handed to them. I delivered newspapers as a kid so I could buy all of my gear and used hand me downs from my uncles and older friends, then worked two jobs as a teen to afford my equipment. My parents never bought me one piece of hockey equipment except a stick when I was 10...

I also learned to make my own backdoor rink and did it all by myself. So don't pre-judge people on this forum bro...

Wow, you're so awesome bro. Good for you.

Did I ever say anything about a silver spoon? No, I said some had the OPPORTUNITY, which you gave yourself...great.

You were able to do something that some others may not have had the opportunity to do. I'm not going to argue, but not everyone would be able to do it if they wanted (and its not personal, I played as a kid).

What about the kid that did not have uncles or parents that played and no hand-me-downs? What about the guy who is 40 years old now and as a kid lived in an area that didnt have any rink or hockey presence at all? What about the kid that didnt have a backyard to build his rink?

Sounds like you didnt have a silver spoon, but still had an awesome opportunity, great for you.

Some just need to come down off their high horses and get a grip on reality for some people.

Of course practice and technique will always be the right answer. But some dont have the opportunity to practice...period. Some play and know the basics but may just want a bit of an edge. No one here can argue that an open blade does not make it EASIER to lift the puck. Maybe that is all he wants, something to work with his current technique to make it easier. Why cant people just get off their soapboxes and answer a damn question?

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Because some people want to give GOOD advice and not just advice for the sake of it.

And it can be done without doing it over and over and over again and without telling us how awesome you are in the process. How about:

"If you're having trouble lifting the puck, I'd suggest spending some time each time you have the chance working on it because having good technique will go a long way and you should be able to do it regardless of curve. However, that said, something like a Sakic or P92 curve will give you some help and be an advantage due to its open face. You'll need to work on not lifting things too much from out far, but those curves will help in close."

Is that so hard? We dont need the "I can hit top shelf from the dressing room with a straight blade since I know how to do it."

If all that was needed was technique, we'd all be using flat blades and so would all the pros since they're better than most of us anyway.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Wow, you're so awesome bro. Good for you.

Swell...

Did I ever say anything about a silver spoon? No, I said some had the OPPORTUNITY, which you gave yourself...great.

You implied it. To deny you did is a joke.

You were able to do something that some others may not have had the opportunity to do. I'm not going to argue, but not everyone would be able to do it if they wanted (and its not personal, I played as a kid).

I grew up in the inner city and had a number of friends who didn't have a father and their mothers struggled to make ends meet, but they all found ways to play hockey.

If there is a will, there is a way.

What about the kid that did not have uncles or parents that played and no hand-me-downs? What about the guy who is 40 years old now and as a kid lived in an area that didnt have any rink or hockey presence at all? What about the kid that didnt have a backyard to build his rink?

I coached in the "Hockey in the Hood" program and know all about the struggles you are trying to portray, and all of the kids in the program found a way to play hockey, even if it was just on the street.

I think I know more about the people you are trying to describe, than you do. I grew up as one and then coached them. So I have first hand knowledge of what I speak about.

Do you?

Sounds like you didnt have a silver spoon, but still had an awesome opportunity, great for you.

I made my opportunity and didn't expect things from people... I worked hard to get all of my gear and even harder to develop my skills.

Opportunities come to those who work for them. Period.

Some just need to come down off their high horses and get a grip on reality for some people.

Of course practice and technique will always be the right answer. But some dont have the opportunity to practice...period. Some play and know the basics but may just want a bit of an edge. No one here can argue that an open blade does not make it EASIER to lift the puck. Maybe that is all he wants, something to work with his current technique to make it easier. Why cant people just get off their soapboxes and answer a damn question?

There is always an opportunity to practice. Or perhaps the people you speak of can't find a slab of cement to shoot pucks at a wall or fence?

They can't afford $30 used rollerblades to practice skating?

Again, excuses.

No one in this thread was on their high horse. They stressed that shooting is a learned technique, which it is. Too many people want to take the lazy route and think there is a magic pill you can buy to give you a better shot or better skating.... doesn't exist.

Those skills only come from tons and tons of practice.

And finally, the OPs question was answered several times. If he uses the tips I gave him and others, he will be well on his way - if he practices it over and over.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And it can be done without doing it over and over and over again and without telling us how awesome you are in the process. How about:

You mean like this:

I've played both ice and roller for years and helped several friends who were straight roller players learn how to shoot the puck when they transitioned to ice.

Most of them had trouble lifting the puck in close, so you aren't alone in having that problem.

When you are in close, to lift the puck, you want to shoot off the toe of your blade instantly. Don't start your shot from mid heel, start with the toe of the blade and snap your bottom wrist up as quickly as possible.

Your bottom hand should be facing fingers up after your release to get the best elevation and snap.

It helps to do a little toe drag first and then snap it like I explained above. Just keep practicing and it will come to you. It really isn't that difficult.

Again - he was given advice. The thread turned when people argued about how a curve is the difference in how you shoot.

Others and I argued the reality that we can shoot the same with any curve because we learned the proper technique.

That isn't bragging. It is stating facts to show if you learn how to shoot the right way, the curve doesn't matter.

There is no lazy way to develop a good shot. Sorry.

BadHammy*

Guys, chill out eh? The technique makes 90%+ of it but there's a reason NHL players use curved sticks, mostly heel curves. Each curve has a natural tendency, you can easily negate it or exaggerate it based on how you follow through. With that said, I've been really happy to use an open heel curve several times. It's not always easy to use proper technique when you're getting crunched or knocked on your duff.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
You mean like this:

Actually, I was never singling you or anyone else out, but since you ask, this is what I mean:

I use a 3/4 curve and still roof it on the backhand, because I know the technique for doing it. It took hours of practice and doing it over and over again until I was sick of it... then when i was sick of it I did it over and over and over and over...

I can pick up a stick with any type of curve and shoot exactly the same both forehand and backhand.... because I practiced my shooting fundamentals over and over and over...

I only care about the curve on my stick for stickhandling, period.

Again, no one is arguing the practice point, but not everyone can spend hours doing it.

You dont say how old you are, but I'm guessing you're still fairly young. What you describe in the inner city was not around 30 years ago, when some people on this board grew up playing. Additionally, some dont have the time or, dare I say it, DESIRE, to spend hours a day practicing their game these days. Some have families that are more important to them than a game they might play once every couple of weeks. For some, hockey is NOT life.

For those, I dont see the harm in asking for advice on a particular curve that might give them a little help. You can rant all day long about how they need to spend all this time practicing, well, some dont want to. Some enjoy the game like they enjoy picking up a basketball and shooting a few hoops on the weekend.

You're right, where there is a will there is a way, but guess what, in the real world that most people live in, that will is not that great. For that guy, give him an open wedge blade so he can chip it in when up close with his limited skills and technique so he can have a good time. And dont tell us about all your accomplishments and how your will to be good is so much greater than the rest of us and how you overcame all your difficulties to become the star player you are today in your beer league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Actually, I was never singling you or anyone else out, but since you ask, this is what I mean:

I never said you were singling anyone out, my point was your rant was lame and I didn't see anyone acting the way you were exclaiming...

As for the bolded part, again that was posted to explain that technique trumps curve type.

It is pretty sad that you took it as some kind of bragging, I'd say that is a personal issue with yourself.

I know tons of people who can do that, so it isn't anything to really brag about.

Again, no one is arguing the practice point, but not everyone can spend hours doing it.

You dont say how old you are, but I'm guessing you're still fairly young. What you describe in the inner city was not around 30 years ago, when some people on this board grew up playing. Additionally, some dont have the time or, dare I say it, DESIRE, to spend hours a day practicing their game these days. Some have families that are more important to them than a game they might play once every couple of weeks. For some, hockey is NOT life.

I am 35 and my uncles are in their 50s and it was much worse for them, but they still found a way.

Again, excuses. I have first hand knowledge of what disadvantaged kids go through to play hockey. Do you?

For those, I dont see the harm in asking for advice on a particular curve that might give them a little help. You can rant all day long about how they need to spend all this time practicing, well, some dont want to. Some enjoy the game like they enjoy picking up a basketball and shooting a few hoops on the weekend.

He was given a lot of good advice on how to roof a puck in close. The thread turned in another direction about technique and blade type.

Two separate issues that you are trying to blend into one. I never chastised him for wanting to use a different curve type, but I stressed that technique is much more important.

Also, I played soccer, baseball and football so, who says you have to dedicate every minute of your life to hockey?

You're right, where there is a will there is a way, but guess what, in the real world that most people live in, that will is not that great. For that guy, give him an open wedge blade so he can chip it in when up close with his limited skills and technique so he can have a good time. And dont tell us about all your accomplishments and how your will to be good is so much greater than the rest of us and how you overcame all your difficulties to become the star player you are today in your beer league.

You obviously have some kind of issue with the way you read into things. Again, a personal issue and not really my concern.

Now lets talk about the real world you referenced...

In the real world if you want to be good at something, you work hard and practice.

There are no shortcuts in life.

If you don't like hearing that a certain curve or piece of equipment is a magic pill to make you a super sweet bad ass hockey player... again, not my problem.

It's yours. Now step off the soapbox.

Last edited:

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I would like to add that Mr. Jiggy has been around this board for a long time and isn't the type to flame a thread. You jsykes have only been around a couple of months and haven't built up any creditability.

Also I would assume that the guy that was the op is probabably rather young by reading the slang language that he used. the point being he would better be served by practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad