Best Conn Smythe winner not in the Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Usually the Conn Smythe Trophy is the topping of a great career. Most guys that win it are in the Hall of Fame. Rightly so cause its a major award and you have to be good to win. But some who win it arent that great but just good for a short time. So here's my list of guys who arent (or aren't going to be in the Hall) that won the Conn Smythe. For Giguere ('03) and Richards ('04) its too early, so forget them. So who are the best and if you had to chose which one to be in the Hall who deserves it the best? Or who is just the best in your opinion. (In brackets is the year they won it)

Roger Crozier - ('66) Really only had two good years. His first season in '64-65 and the next year.

Reggie Leach ('76) Like Crozier he won it on a losing team. He got 19 goals that spring for Philly! But to me what a streak scorer he was. The year he led the league in goals he had 61, then next year he had 32. Other than that he had a 45 goal season and another 50 in '80. Just terribly inconsistent I thought.

Butch Goring ('81) - Had a very good NHL career. He was traded to the Isles in March of '80 and they win the Cup two months later. then he wins the Conn Smythe the following year just to show that he's not just along for the ride.

Ron Hextall ('87) - Has 296 career wins. His best season was '87. He may not deserve the Hall depending on who you talk to, but I think he's in over Richter!

Bill Ranford ('90) - Led a team to greatness when no one thought they would without #99. Did the same to the Canada Cup team in '91. He was MVP there as well. Ranford was well on his way to a Hall of Fame career but didnt really do much after '91 to prove it.

Claude Lemieux ('95) - Much like Mike Richter. He was often in the right place at the right time. Clutch thats for sure, but terribly inconsistent.

Mike Vernon ('97) - Was surprised that he wasnt considered more seriously for Hall induction in '05 but oh well. Vernon is probably the best goalie on this list.

Joe Nieuwendyk ('99) - He's won three Cups with three different teams. That's very good, but for some reason with all of his skill and the good teams he played on he never hit 100 points. There's a lot of love for Nieuwy to be in the Hall but I have him on the outside looking in.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Patrick Roy, Scott Stevens, Joe Nieuwendyk, Nicklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Brian Leetch, and Al MacInnis are all locks for the Hall

Claude Lemieux, Ron Hextall, Butch Goring, and Reggie Leach are borderline Hall of Fames

Roger Crozier was a bit of a fluke

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Hedberg16 said:
Patrick Roy, Scott Stevens, Joe Nieuwendyk, Nicklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Brian Leetch, and Al MacInnis are all locks for the Hall

Claude Lemieux, Ron Hextall, Butch Goring, and Reggie Leach are borderline Hall of Fames

If Crozier wasn`t afflicted with stomach ailments, I have no doubt that he would be in the Hall with a full career on his resume. We all know why Reggie Leach was inconsistent, but in his prime he was as good as anyone. Lemieux and Goring are both tough calls, you don`t think Hall of Fame when you hear their names, but look closely at what they did and the idea isn`t farfetched. Hextall? Close but no cigar. I`d rate him in the same group as Hrudey, Peeters, Vanbiesbrouck, etc.- not Hall material, but one of the best of the rest. I`m not sure Nieuwendyk deserves to be there, but he`ll likely make it.

Ogopogo*

Hedberg16 said:

I would say that Nieuwendyk, Lemieux, Hextall, Goring and Leach should not be in the hall.

But, who am I? They elected Federko and Gillies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad