Best Centers/Defensemen That Should Be Available At Picks #19 and #31?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Assuming that the Oilers can't or won't trade up, who could we get at these picks? Are there any potential 2nd line centers with size? Top 4 two way d-men or a top notched physical stay at home D?

JMcLeaf

Mark Scheifele is a big center (6'3) with lots of potential. He may be a few years off though because he needs to fill out his frame, but he had a great rookie season for Barrie (22g-53a-75pts). His stats and scouting reports make me think of Ryan Johansen. I'm not so sure he will fall all the way to 19th though.. his stock continues to rise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mark Scheifele is a big center (6'3) with lots of potential. He may be a few years off though because he needs to fill out his frame, but he had a great rookie season for Barrie (22g-53a-75pts). His stats and scouting reports make me think of Ryan Johansen. I'm not so sure he will fall all the way to 19th though.. his stock continues to rise.

That's the worry, ideally LA would've missed the postseason and we'd have the #14 or #15 pick, but it didn't pan out that way. I could see the Oilers trading up to get a guy like Scheifele, McNeil, Zibanejad, or Beaulieu if they are really high on one of these players.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I think the Oilers pick at #19 might be tied-into what they do with the first pick.
If they take Nugent Hopkins #1, I can see them targeting a d-man at #19.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If we don't move up, miss out on the marks AND don't grab a winger... I would like to see us grab the following:

1. Jonas Brodin
2. Scott Mayfield
3. Jamieson Oleksiak

Unfortunately the only center that still projects to be there is Zach Phillips. If we grab RNH and have Gagner already, Phillips might not be as useful as a dman.

I still think someone drops to that pick but if not I would certainly welcome any of those 3 dmen listed. Brodin IMO would be perfect with the number of tough dmen we already have. Having said that if you feel one of the other 2 is bpa rhen you take him.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I really hope Edmonton goes after Oleksiak. RNH and Oleksiak in one draft could be huge for that franchise.

zeus3007*

I really hope Edmonton goes after Oleksiak. RNH and Oleksiak in one draft could be huge for that franchise.

That's how I feel about Shiefele, ha ha. Our center issues would likely be over if we drafted both RNH and Shiefele in the first round, especially considering how good Vande Velde looked this year (future bottom sixer), and us already having a couple of decent prospects (Pitlick, Lander) and a decent young top 6 gut in Gagner...then its development time, and time to start searching for a few d-men.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Assuming that the Oilers can't or won't trade up, who could we get at these picks? Are there any potential 2nd line centers with size? Top 4 two way d-men or a top notched physical stay at home D?

Assuming we go defence then centre or centre then defense, it'll likely benefit us more if we go centre first, even though I'm a huge proponent of Larsson.

I think most of the top centres will be off the board by pick 19, but there should be at least a few good dmen to choose from still, like at least a couple of Brodin, Morrow, Musil, and Oleksiak.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Jenner or Scheifele. Both are great and could carve themselves out as not elite, but solid #1 Cs in the future on the right team, or very good #2 Cs (upside.)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It really comes down to what happens in the top 8-10 spots. It's quite possible that after that range, there could be a team or 2 that doesn't really love what is left on the board and thinks they can get a guy they like at 19 and still add a pick or boy as well.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Mark Scheifele as mentioned,

also Jonas Brodin - D, Joe Morrow - D, Jamie Oleksiak - D at 19 would be great.

Oscar Klefblom - D, JT Miller - C, Boone Jenner - C, Connor Murphy - D, would all be great at 31.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad