Best Capitals Memory

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thought this would be a fun thread, post your top 3 favourite memories as a caps fan. I've only been a fan since the Ovechkin era (I know fanboy) so my top 3 will be post 2005-2006.

1. Federov game winner against the Rangers. I've probably never been so excited watching a game before....that was something special, especially when Journey played through Verizon Center right after !

2. Game 2 agains the Penguins, don't think I'll ever witness another battle like that between two elite players in a game let alone a series again. Sheer awesomeness. Oh how I thought we had that series wrapped up.

3. Final game of the season in 2007-2008 against Florida, sill get chills watching the excitement of the team and fans as we finally pushed into the playoffs !

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco
1. ward ending boston's playoff hopes
2. I dont remember but I went to my first playoff game and it was against tampa. I think we actually lost but the atmosphere was electric, high fives all around with every random stranger around you for every goal, and it was an exciting game

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
When we had that 14 game winning streak. Those were the times every game was winnable from any point of it. Fun!

Obviously, Ward's goal.

Ovechkin vs Crosby in playoffs.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Has to be Federov's winner against the Rangers

That was the most excited I have been and the most excited crowd I have been in

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The best Caps game memory was sitting 8 rows behind the net when Dale scored the OT winner v the Flyers.

Best overall Caps memory was when Jack Lynch and another Caps player invited my friend and I to join them for an afternoon of bowling after we called out a hello as we walked by. (Lynch used to purposefully disrupt our street hockey games and we knew him based on that.)

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Joe Juneau OT winner against Hasek in 98 to take us to the SC finals. I have to admit I cried a bit that night.

Non game related, I remember back in either 85 or 86 I went to a game with my dad and they had a fan appreciation night. I got to go down on the ice after the game and get autographs. Met my all time favorite Mike Gartner.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Joe Juneau OT winner against Hasek in 98 to take us to the SC finals. I have to admit I cried a bit that night.

That was nothing compared to the tears that came over the next two weeks!

Of the Ovechkin era:

Everyone here thought the run was over here:

But it wasn't.

You can barely hear Joe B. There was a 100% chance we were winning this game.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
As many great moments as heart breakers.

The run to the first playoffs, and the Cap Centre for the first playoff game against the Isles.

The 2008 run was nothing short of fantastic, and as others noted, there was no way they weren't winning those last games.

There were some playoff games against the Pens where the Caps ended up losing the series, but where there were early successes in the series. There was one game in particular, in the early/mid 1990's where the Caps just blew the Pens out, like 6-2. It was a party.

And yes, the Juneau goal. I was at a friends house and we were all huddled around a 6 inch TV screen catching the game.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
1. John Druce OT winner against the Rangers to go to conference finals.

2. Hunter's OT winner against the Flyers.

3. Ward's OT winner versus Bruins.

Worst moment...sitting 25 rows behind Caps net watching Hextall score in playoffs.

Old...I'm old.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My strongest memories are all since I became a STH. Seeing them in person just ingrains them that much more.

-Ovie stick lift and lead goal late in the third against Philly in the first playoff series.
-Feds game 7 goal
-The whole 2009-10 season in general. That team was just a monster, and incredibly fun to watch. They were never out of it.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Being raised and currently living in New England I have grown to despise the (b)Ruins. SO my two favorite Capitals moments....

1. Joel (Cool as a cucumber) Ward with the Game 7 winner.

2. I don't remember the year or what game but I remember Fehr splitting the D of the (b)Ruins and sniping one past Rask top corner for the GWG. Amazing.

EDIT: Found it.

I can never get videos to work.....

Last edited:

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Being raised and currently living in New England I have grown to despise the (b)Ruins. SO my two favorite Capitals moments....

2. I don't remember the year or what game but I remember Fehr splitting the D of the (b)Ruins and sniping one past Rask top corner for the GWG. Amazing.

I'm remembering that goal being the last game of the season in one of the last couple years not sure though. The video isn't working so I can't see it...lol

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That Bondra vs Hasek Series was epic!

A token shout out to Dr Brian Bellows and his huge goal. My Bellows story - as he left his german team to come play for us, I took my first trip to Europe - Germany was my first stop. The blackened city of Dresden. Fun driving there as an american punk in my rental in the tram lanes.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I don't have any real specific memory of it anymore, but if it were actually still in my brain I'd probably vote for whenever exactly it was in 1983 I found out the Caps had finally made it into the playoffs for the first time, which I think was season #9. Maruk, Gartner, and Carpenter all had 30 goals that year. Scott Stevens and Rod Langway on D. Randy Holt led the NHL in penalty minutes that year.

I definitely do remember the feeling of, year after year, the Caps being one of a very small number of teams that didn't make it. In 1983, 5 of the 21 teams didn't make it, and that was the case for at least like about two or three of the seasons right before that one, and finally the Capitals weren't one of those five teams in 1983. It's hard to express the frustration Capitals fans had before then. Y'know, because you could be really pretty bad and still make the playoffs. Right whenever the Capitals clinched it that year, a new and much less frustrating era started.

Maybe the first time the Capitals beat Montreal, in 1980, in season #6--I kinda remember that and that'd probably be in my top 10 or 20 somewhere. That was a big deal at the time. That was like one of the first very solid indications to me that the Capitals were growing up.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
April 16, 1988 the Dale Hunter OT winner in game 7 at Caps Centre against the Flyers.
Caps had been down 3 to 1 in the series against the Flyers. Was at game 7 and remember some Flyers fans in attendance that were merciless towards Caps fans when the Flyers went up 3-0 in the game. Caps came back though, with the white pom poms that were given out to those in attendance going in unison in the direction of Flyers goalie Ron Hextall with the crowd chanting Hextall - Hextall - Hextall.

Once Hunter scored the OT winner I looked for those Flyesr fans who were just a section over, and they were no where to be found. Great memories, great game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-caps-history/2011/11/28/gIQAHcf94N_blog.html

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
For me with the playoffs and Caps:

1. Joe Juneau's series clincher. I stayed up late and was crossing my fingers the whole time.
2. Joel Ward's Game 7 OT winner. I jumped up and down.
3. Fedorov's Game 7 winner vs the Rangers. I almost did a back flip.
4. Dale Hunter's OT winner vs Philly. Finally felt good to advance and a magical moment.
5. Beating the Pens in 94 when all odds were against us.

Many more memories, but those were series successes. My hatred for the Ranger, Flyers, and Pens still boils to this day.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
1. John Druce OT winner against the Rangers to go to conference finals.

2. Hunter's OT winner against the Flyers.

3. Ward's OT winner versus Bruins.

Worst moment...sitting 25 rows behind Caps net watching Hextall score in playoffs.

Old...I'm old.

Can't believe I forgot about that one. I was in the 9th grade and couldn't believe it. What a beast performance.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Maybe the first time the Capitals beat Montreal, in 1980, in season #6--I kinda remember that and that'd probably be in my top 10 or 20 somewhere. That was a big deal at the time. That was like one of the first very solid indications to me that the Capitals were growing up.

I remember going into school the next day all excited, and really, no one else cared or knew. It was deflating. The Post headline though: "Eureka 3-1" said it all.

Last edited:

Vladiator16*

there are directions on how to do it on main boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

You can barely hear Joe B. There was a 100% chance we were winning this game.

I got to work the ice crew for that game with a few teammates, awesome experience. Fedorov's goal happened right in front of me. Incredible moment.

That Ovi slapper at 0:45... holy ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad