Best backwards skater

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I bring this up because of this:

Start the video about 7:50 and watch Skinner skating backwards down the ice to receive the pass.

I've never seen anybody skate backwards that fast. Off the top of my head I would guess Karlsson could probably be one that could pull this kind of thing off too, but there can't be many.

Oh, if you care to finish the play until the end, it was a great exciting goal, too

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not really, I mean he had to turn and only took like a step and half, maybe 2? before flipping his hips the other direction and getting backwards. I'm sure that's a lot different from doing it from a hard stop, but Either way its really impressive, I've watched it 4-5 times and it gets better every time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll nominate Nurse because he's a great backwards skater. Skinner's got that figure skating background and is a hell of a skater so no idea if Nurse is actually as good.

40:04

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Start the video about 7:50 and watch Skinner skating backwards down the ice to receive the pass.

I've never seen anybody skate backwards that fast. Off the top of my head I would guess Karlsson could probably be one that could pull this kind of thing off too, but there can't be many.

Oh, if you care to finish the play until the end, it was a great exciting goal, too

Most underwhelming video I have ever watched.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Karlsson would be the first to admit he's not great at skating backwards. Of course that's not totally true, but there are better defensemen going backwards.

Morgan Rielly, Duncan Keith, PK Subban all stand out to me, but I think Brent Burns might be the most impressive, due to his size. Guy is an amazing skater.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

He's one of the best skaters the league has ever seen IMO

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I read a very long time ago Jay bouwmeester was a really fast backwards skater. Idk if that still holds up.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I read a very long time ago Jay bouwmeester was a really fast backwards skater. Idk if that still holds up.
He was the first that came to mind but I don't watch the Blues all that much so I don't know how it has held up

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Karlsson isn't very fast backwards by any means, even at his best he wasn't.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I guess a lot of people here have never skated. Skinner gained all of his speed speed turning doing crossovers before he flipped backwards.

As a side note defensemen often skate backwards better than forwards because coaches often pick kids at a young age to play D based solely on that ability.

Reactions: 57special

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
Every time the leafs play the hurricanes they talk about how Jeff skinner used to be a figure skater for like 10 min.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse is in the conversation. He's a phenomenal skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad