Best area for hockey vacation?

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I'm looking for an area with inexpensive ice time and lots of it. I plan to spend a few months in said location working on my game. The best location I've found has been Vancouver: daily pick-up games and the Richmond Ice Centre holds weekday 6 hour stick & puck sessions. Unfortunately Vancouver is prohibitively expensive for a 2 month vacation.
Does anyone have other recommendations? Doesn't have to be N.A., Europe would be fine.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Rather than spend they money on travelling, why not take that money and just try to buy some ice time where you live now?

I presume he wants people to play with rather than hiring a rink for himself. Having a rink to yourself gets dull and it is very tiring.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I'm looking for an area with inexpensive ice time and lots of it. I plan to spend a few months in said location working on my game. The best location I've found has been Vancouver: daily pick-up games and the Richmond Ice Centre holds weekday 6 hour stick & puck sessions. Unfortunately Vancouver is prohibitively expensive for a 2 month vacation.
Does anyone have other recommendations? Doesn't have to be N.A., Europe would be fine.
I had a good hockey experience in Nashville many many years ago. I can only imagine the hockey culture there has grown significantly. Outside of the rink the hotel was nice with a massive indoor pool, lots of golfing and the country music hall of fame among other things. Best thing it was warm (im Toronto area)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Montreal in the winter

Lots of outdoor rinks, and you can rent a room there for about $400 - $500 a month

Also, it's a really fun city for when you're not at the rink

Reactions: JMCx4 and AIREAYE

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Montreal in the winter

Lots of outdoor rinks, and you can rent a room there for about $400 - $500 a month

Also, it's a really fun city for when you're not at the rink
Sounds good. So much cheaper than Vancouver. Any info on QC?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Brandon Ice Sports Forum in Brandon Florida. (Tampa Bay's practice rink.) Has the largest ran Adult leagues in the United States out of there. Three rinks. Levels from True Beginner all the way to former Pro's in the A league. (Nolan Pratt, Vinny Prospel, Cory Stillman and Mathieu Garon all to name a few that play there.) Great thing is? Not that far from the beach if your going in the summer.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sounds good. So much cheaper than Vancouver. Any info on QC?
Check the On The Road Forum for the Montreal entry. Mostly dining recommendations, but I believe there are some lodging & tourism references buried in the posts. Montreal & rural Quebec in winter would offer you lots of outdoor skating opportunities beyond the indoor ice, with the city having multiple municipal park rinks for free skating & possible pickup games if you time your arrival properly (weekends or after working hours). Smaller towns also have outdoor rinks.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Looks like it'll be Montreal but in April so likely too warm for outdoor rinks.

Any advice on best rinks for stick time?

Reactions: Neutrinos

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Ah, I guess I'm too late to suggest the Twin Cities area in Minnesota ;) You can basically find pickup games daily for most of the year. And lots of outdoor stuff to do in April if you somehow get sick of hockey :D

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

The 4 glaces is going to close down in may unfortunately, but it has a daily stick-pucks and shinny. YMCA has stick-pucks that turn into games 3x/week plus shinny. Glaces de l'est is a 3 on 3 rink but it has a ton of public ice time at noon and in the evening, and at 10pm.

The 4 glaces closing down will be a big hit for amateur hockey, but up until then I'm usually never having trouble finding ice.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

The YMCA arena on Hochelaga street has open practice which usually ends up in a game when there are enough players. For the summer it's on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 11:30 to 1PM, and costs $5.

Last edited:

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Ah, I guess I'm too late to suggest the Twin Cities area in Minnesota ;) You can basically find pickup games daily for most of the year. And lots of outdoor stuff to do in April if you somehow get sick of hockey :D
Would love more info on Minneapolis. If I came during winter would I have access to outdoor rinks?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Would love more info on Minneapolis. If I came during winter would I have access to outdoor rinks?

Absolutely, conditions depending of course. It's not as reliable as it was 50 years ago or whatever, but if you show up for a week between mid January and mid February, you can usually bank on it. Minneapolis has one of the best park systems in the country, so you're usually not that far from a park no matter where you are, and it feels like most of them will flood a huge area and put up boards up. And they maintain it too, which is awesome (clear the snow, re-flood it periodically, and so on). Most of them have warming houses too, once the ice is reliable. Maybe bookmark the parks and rec website in case you plan on coming by: Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board . Oh also, the nearby Saint Louis Park rec center has a sheet of outdoor ice with a roof over it that *I think* has refrigeration as well for good measure (I know guys who have played on it when it was like 40 degrees out). But yeah. One of my family's fond memories from this past winter was definitely heading down the road 2 minutes or whatever to the local park and skating around with my toddler son and meeting a family who were visiting from Texas for a hockey tournament, and were beside themselves over the fact that outdoor ice was even a thing :) My wife chatted with the mom for a bit until the parents didn't want to be outside anymore :laugh:

Oh by the way, even if it gets infuriatingly warm and the ice is too sloppy, you can still find pickup hockey pretty much every day in one of the billion or so indoor rinks in the Twin Cities. Check out www.jmshockey.com for pickup options. You sign up, fill out a questionnaire about your background, and you get a level to play at, basically from "novice" to "used to play Canadian juniors" :D

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Are
Absolutely, conditions depending of course. It's not as reliable as it was 50 years ago or whatever, but if you show up for a week between mid January and mid February, you can usually bank on it. Minneapolis has one of the best park systems in the country, so you're usually not that far from a park no matter where you are, and it feels like most of them will flood a huge area and put up boards up. And they maintain it too, which is awesome (clear the snow, re-flood it periodically, and so on). Most of them have warming houses too, once the ice is reliable. Maybe bookmark the parks and rec website in case you plan on coming by: Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board . Oh also, the nearby Saint Louis Park rec center has a sheet of outdoor ice with a roof over it that *I think* has refrigeration as well for good measure (I know guys who have played on it when it was like 40 degrees out). But yeah. One of my family's fond memories from this past winter was definitely heading down the road 2 minutes or whatever to the local park and skating around with my toddler son and meeting a family who were visiting from Texas for a hockey tournament, and were beside themselves over the fact that outdoor ice was even a thing :) My wife chatted with the mom for a bit until the parents didn't want to be outside anymore :laugh:

Oh by the way, even if it gets infuriatingly warm and the ice is too sloppy, you can still find pickup hockey pretty much every day in one of the billion or so indoor rinks in the Twin Cities. Check out www.jmshockey.com for pickup options. You sign up, fill out a questionnaire about your background, and you get a level to play at, basically from "novice" to "used to play Canadian juniors" :D
Thanks for info! If I come during summer will there be any stick & puck sessions? I've been looking but have only found drop-in games. I prioritize stick & puck

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Are

Thanks for info! If I come during summer will there be any stick & puck sessions? I've been looking but have only found drop-in games. I prioritize stick & puck

You're very welcome. Since hockey is something of an industry here, pretty much all the major rinks stay open all summer, as long as they're not renovating. Stick and Puck is definitely a thing during summer, though it's *usually* going to be pretty early in the day, and usually only a handful of days. The rinks I know of off the top of my head who have Stick and Puck (sometimes called "developmental ice"... depends on the rink) are Richfield, Bloomington Ice Garden, and the Eden Prairie Community Center. I haven't checked recently, but EPCC tends to have the most sessions that actually start *after* the crack of dawn :D I occasionally drop in at BIG during the summer for dev ice, but it's like T/Th at 6am or something.

Basically, I'd figure out where you might be staying in the Cities, and then pull up Google Maps to find where all the rinks are, and check the websites of the ones within a comfortable distance for you. They pretty much all have some sort of calendar; just make sure you're also looking for "dev. ice" because that's the same thing as "stick and puck" ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad