Best and Worst Personal "Finds"

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Simple fun idea for a summer thread, what are some of the best and worse calls you made from impressions from live viewings, separate from media and scouting reports.

Two of my best now were Simmonds and Giordano when they were in Owen Sound,

worst was Kevin Dallman in Guelph, I was sure he was going to be a star.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
In the flip side, I felt from viewings that Tyson Sexsmith as a Giant was never going to make it

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I called Auston Matthews a future superstar almost two years ago. I don't think I'll ever get a better one.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I thought Ryan White was going to be much better. After watching S Reinhart play the Hitmen over the years I have yet to be impressed with him.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Best: Giroux early on in his rookie season with Gatineau. There was no doubt in my mind he was going to be a star.

Worst: Mark Mancari. I was convinced he was going to become a real solid power forward for Buffalo. Wayyy off on that one.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I remember watching Jonas Brodin at the u18s and thinking his hockey sense should have had him ranked way higher than the late-ish 1st area he was at the time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I had Gaudreau in my 1st round in 2011 after seeing him dominate a friend of mine in the USHL.

I also thought Chad Denny was going to be a good defenseman. I'm not as good with the dmen :(

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I thought Marcus Foligno was going to be a stud top line power forward.
I also thought Martin Frk was going to be a star.
What do I know? :laugh:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I thought Mark Stone would never be a NHL regular because he was way too slow. :laugh:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I was convinced John Moore was going to be a great #2/#3 defenceman after watching him in Kitchener. He's still young-ish, so it's not too late for him to improve, but he's cetainly not trending towards that.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I remember watching Getzlaf with the Hitmen back in the day and wondering exactly how much ass he was going to kick at the pro level.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
On top of my head

I thought Louis Leblanc would be a solid 2/3 two-way center with grit
I thought Dan Carcillo would be the next Dale Hunter
Brett Connolly was a 100% failure territory.
I laughed when Ottawa drafted Karlsson in 08 and I was really piss when Calgary drafted Greg Nemisz with the pick Montreal traded for Alex Tanguay

I thought Gallagher was going to be a steal in 2010 draft
I really, really wanted Montreal to draft that American kid in 2009 named Kreider instead of Lebust. Im still piss about it.
I thought Larkin was at least a top-10 pick in 2014
I thought Columbus future would be insane after they got Filatov

Last edited:

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
I thought Jonathon Blum would become a superstar lol. During his junior years and also in his first season with Milwaukee in the AHL... then he busted.

My "best find" would be Mark Stone, I was convinced he'd become a beast even if he was drafted in the 6th round and he's finally becoming a pretty strong player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Simple fun idea for a summer thread, what are some of the best and worse calls you made from impressions from live viewings, separate from media and scouting reports.

You're not that wrong on Dallman. He may not have made it in the NHL, but he's been a stud in the KHL.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I was very high on Corey Perry and i always taught that Grigorenko was going to bust,i was so afraid that the habs draft him at 3rd overall in 2012 but i guess there was a reason he slided at 13th. I also fell in love with Tatar times ago during his WJC year.

On the other side, i expected Patrice Cormier to be a stud and tough middle six player

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I thought Jonathon Blum would become a superstar lol. During his junior years and also in his first season with Milwaukee in the AHL... then he busted.

My "best find" would be Mark Stone, I was convinced he'd become a beast even if he was drafted in the 6th round and he's finally becoming a pretty strong player.

Blum looked like quite the deal between 09-11. It is much a surprise he busted IMO

Last edited:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

To be fair, Dallman is a star, just not in North America.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Living in California, I don't get to see too many prospects live. But in recent years, I have been making an effort to visit friends and catch junior/college games.

I'm not sure I would call it a find per se, but I watched Michigan whenever they were on TV while Jon Merrill was there. So there were semi-frequent matchups against Michigan State. I liked what I saw out of Torey Krug there, but I can't say that I thought he was a surefire NHLer.

I caught a London/Plymouth game in person in November 2012. Domi/Zadorov were the heralded prospects, but I came away liking Bo Horvat more from that game. It was somewhat gratifying to see him steadily rise up the rankings that year.

The first junior game I saw live was a season opener in September 2009 between Portland and Seattle. Definitely was a humbling experience in pretending to be a pseudo-scout. I came away from the game liking Troy Rutkowski who'd end up being a 5th rounder at the 2010 Draft.

Meanwhile I completely missed some unheralded rookies in Ryan Johansen and Nino Niederreiter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad