Best and worst ballparks in baseball

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I have nothing bad to say about Cincinnati's place at all. It's a lovely park. I think the main thing is that other parks elicit emotion. There's a romance about baseball stadiums that fans have.

And Cincinnati just doesn't give off much of that at all. I don't know what it is. It feels like a nice, new park. And that's it. It doesn't have one thing that draws your focus (other than the LF scoreboard, maybe). I don't know if it's because the seats are red so everything just seems to be equally weighted visually? I can't put my finger on it.

Pretty much comes down to winning. The Reds have been warm dog poop for the entire run of that stadium. So there are no nostalgic or important moments with it as the backdrop.

PNC has the same problem. Yeah it's a pretty stadium but does anyone really love it or the experience?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Pretty much comes down to winning. The Reds have been warm dog poop for the entire run of that stadium. So there are no nostalgic or important moments with it as the backdrop.

PNC has the same problem. Yeah it's a pretty stadium but does anyone really love it or the experience?

I really don't think it's that simple. I went to Cincinnati when it was brand new, so yeah, no memories of glory days in that park. But I went to Minute Maid when Houston was freaking terrible and hadn't won anything ever yet, either. The Padres have had like three good seasons in their history, Petco is still gorgeous. I'm a Mets fan, we suck 85% of the time or more. Seattle, same thing. Cubs have one WS in 115 years, Wrigley still elicits emotion.

I honestly think it might be something about the red seats that makes everything seem like foreground, nothing like background and just feels really visually different in that stadium than elsewhere.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not MLB, but Kōshien is an easy favorite of mine.

AS20210820001685_comm.jpg

Summer_Koshien_2009_Final.jpg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Cell is great ballpark.

Not a single bad seat in building, great atmosphere (Especially at night), great food, etc

I understood why it got flak in early years but the renovations completely changed the character of stadium

Comiskey Park II early on
1-new-comiskey-park-chicago-white-sox-panoramic-images.jpg

ct-spt-white-sox-new-comiskey-anniversary-20190418

vs Cell now
R.30fe94c3889676a4ac459344ae2a0cb0

96cb5206b15e057e4ada820f75a7527d.jpg

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Agreed- stadiums aren't much fun when they are empty, or filled with fans from visiting teams. GABP has been much better this year.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
The Cell is great ballpark.

Not a single bad seat in building, great atmosphere (Especially at night), great food, etc

I understood why it got flak in early years but the renovations completely changed the character of stadium

I think it gets shortchanged because of timing. I think it's GREAT for "what it is" but it wasn't built to be what everyone else starting building for right after.

In another thread talking expansion, someone casually said "if Omaha builds an MLB park, they'd get a team". Which sparked a debate on Omaha's College World Series stadium and if it was "an MLB stadium" or not....

The Cell reminds me of Omaha a lot: In terms of the fan-friendly, "great place to watch a game" aspect. THAT'S what it's built for.

But the rest of baseball has stadiums that are more about "entertainment and SALES" than about actually watching the game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I really don't think it's that simple. I went to Cincinnati when it was brand new, so yeah, no memories of glory days in that park. But I went to Minute Maid when Houston was freaking terrible and hadn't won anything ever yet, either. The Padres have had like three good seasons in their history, Petco is still gorgeous. I'm a Mets fan, we suck 85% of the time or more. Seattle, same thing. Cubs have one WS in 115 years, Wrigley still elicits emotion.

I honestly think it might be something about the red seats that makes everything seem like foreground, nothing like background and just feels really visually different in that stadium than elsewhere.

There's just something about that stadium that rubs me the wrong way and I'm not 100% sure what it is. I just don't find it pleasant to look at. Obviously there's far more important aspects to a stadium than just looks and it was a massive improvement on Riverfront...but it just doesn't present itself well.

I think you're onto something with the red seats.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
There's just something about that stadium that rubs me the wrong way and I'm not 100% sure what it is. I just don't find it pleasant to look at. Obviously there's far more important aspects to a stadium than just looks and it was a massive improvement on Riverfront...but it just doesn't present itself well.

I think you're onto something with the red seats.

Thank You! I know some of my takes are a little "Well, that's a weird way of looking at things." And that definitely a weird take. But while being difficult to articulate, I think it "makes sense."

If you go down the list of what a good new stadium needs to have, GABP has every single thing, and with good grades in all the categories. Good concourse, good site lines, unique features (and the quirks/features of GABP actually are for a REASON, unlike a bunch of places).

Barbershops have that spinning candy-cane thing to get attention! The Reds stadium is that color scheme, so your eyes aren't taking in a wide vista of a beautiful ballpark, they're darting around, because your brain is trained to focus on the red/white things, and everything is red/white.

The only other stadium with red seats is Fenway, but Fenway doesn't have the same problem because their seats are always full so you barely see them; AND there's really not a sea of red seats in your view: The RF seats are set way back, and LF/CF are giant green walls.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Thank You! I know some of my takes are a little "Well, that's a weird way of looking at things." And that definitely a weird take. But while being difficult to articulate, I think it "makes sense."

If you go down the list of what a good new stadium needs to have, GABP has every single thing, and with good grades in all the categories. Good concourse, good site lines, unique features (and the quirks/features of GABP actually are for a REASON, unlike a bunch of places).

Barbershops have that spinning candy-cane thing to get attention! The Reds stadium is that color scheme, so your eyes aren't taking in a wide vista of a beautiful ballpark, they're darting around, because your brain is trained to focus on the red/white things, and everything is red/white.

The only other stadium with red seats is Fenway, but Fenway doesn't have the same problem because their seats are always full so you barely see them; AND there's really not a sea of red seats in your view: The RF seats are set way back, and LF/CF are giant green walls.

Plus the outfield bleacher seats are green (starts in right center).

Even the red seats get broken up because only the back and seat is red, the supports and arm rests are all green

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't remember if I have done so already but I am here to offer Tropicana Field as the single biggest dump in sports. Shit on it. It deserves it

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I can't remember if I have done so already but I am here to offer Tropicana Field as the single biggest dump in sports. Shit on it. It deserves it

Massive bad luck for St. Pete to design a place in 1986, and while it's being built, it became totally antiquated by the Orioles opening Camden Yards.

And really weird/ridiculous/poor thinking for the Rays to sign "the usual 30-year lease" for a stadium that opened EIGHT YEARS before they started playing (and was outdated).

Eight teams had nice new ballparks in the few years leading up to the Rays, and seven more had deals for new stadiums DONE to open in the next five years.

They were in like the seventh-worst stadium situation in baseball... ON DAY ONE!

How the hell they didn't get a 25-year lease is crazy.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The Rogers Centre is totally different when the roof is open. When it’s an open in the middle of summer during the sunset looking up at the CN tower it’s very nice. When it’s closed it’s pretty blaaa with all the concrete. I do appreciate ownership putting a ton of money into renovations.

Reactions: weaponomega

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I haven't been to too many stadiums outside of the Skydo.....uh, I mean the "Rogers Centre", here in Toronto.

Been to Fenway, been to Wrigley, and been to PNC Park.

Of the four, I would still list PNC at the top. There's something about a ballpark that's right on the water, that just elevates it for me.

I'd love to go back there someday, although there are still plenty of other parks on my bucket list.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
attended a game at globe life field this past weekend. enjoyed it for the most part

parking and getting around the stadium was very easy and a number of good food options. not sure how rangers fans attended games at the old stadium in that heat. it was still pretty hot indoors

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Rogers Centre is totally different when the roof is open. When it’s an open in the middle of summer during the sunset looking up at the CN tower it’s very nice. When it’s closed it’s pretty blaaa with all the concrete. I do appreciate ownership putting a ton of money into renovations.
I think this past off season was phase 1/3 for renovations. I have long despised the architecture and atmosphere of the dome. In the 90's it was fine for the times but basically 2000-2022 it was pretty awful.

They've done a pretty awesome job giving it the facelift it needed this past year. If they can keep making improvements then it will jump into the higher tiers of stadiums. Will never be one of the best just based on the bones of the building but it's nice to see management and Rogers putting money in to make the experience better.

Reactions: stats1

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I think this past off season was phase 1/3 for renovations. I have long despised the architecture and atmosphere of the dome. In the 90's it was fine for the times but basically 2000-2022 it was pretty awful.

They've done a pretty awesome job giving it the facelift it needed this past year. If they can keep making improvements then it will jump into the higher tiers of stadiums. Will never be one of the best just based on the bones of the building but it's nice to see management and Rogers putting money in to make the experience better.
Agreed, it’s never going to be top tier like you said based off the way it was built but definitely the new patio deck and expanded seat areas it’s going to be a lot better. They’re at least trying to make the experience better. I just wish more seats had cup holders lol

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’ve been to every single one. I’m going to use city names because the stadiums change names so much.

Top 5:
Pittsburgh
SF
Chicago Cubs
Baltimore
Los Angeles Dodgers

Bottom 5:
Tampa Bay (easily the worst experience)
Oakland
Detroit
Los Angeles Angels
St Louis. All my homies hate STL.

I did enjoy Fenway and have had a couple beautiful roof open games in Toronto.

I also think San Diego is the nicest ball park in terms of facilities. The restaurants and drinks are awesome.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I’ve been to every single one. I’m going to use city names because the stadiums change names so much.

Top 5:
Pittsburgh
SF
Chicago Cubs
Baltimore
Los Angeles Dodgers

Bottom 5:
Tampa Bay (easily the worst experience)
Oakland
Detroit
Los Angeles Angels
Detroit

I did enjoy Fenway and have had a couple beautiful roof open games in Toronto.

I also think San Diego is the nicest ball park in terms of facilities. The restaurants and drinks are awesome.

Damn, how long did that take?

Also agreed on Pittsburgh being Top 5. Beautiful stadium.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Damn, how long did that take?

Also agreed on Pittsburgh being Top 5. Beautiful stadium.
My father and I started in 2017. We already had like 6 by then just through normal traveling. Then after that we did a couple parks every summer.

The longest trip was flying to phoenix and renting a car and driving to Seattle. It’s also difficult sometimes to catch all teams at home. Especially on a 7 team trip without flying.

Towards the end we got lazy and started flying everywhere lol

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
My father and I started in 2017. We already had like 6 by then just through normal traveling. Then after that we did a couple parks every summer.

The longest trip was flying to phoenix and renting a car and driving to Seattle. It’s also difficult sometimes to catch all teams at home. Especially on a 7 team trip without flying.

Towards the end we got lazy and started flying everywhere lol

24 stadiums over seven seasons is still a massive undertaking but I am indeed envious.

Maybe sometime down the road I'll be able to pull off a tour like that. :laugh:

Reactions: TLEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad