Best and Worst: 1993-94 Rangers

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Messier had nothing to do with it--Keenan hated Gartner. Thought he was soft and was a lousy playoff performer. Keenan had Smith trade every player he didn't like and Smith was desperate to get the franchise a Stanley Cup.

Brooklyn my friend, Messier absolutaly had alot to do with Gartner leaving town. I recall at time reading lots of stuff of how Mess didn't think he was a winner and he wanted him gone. I agree with you tho that Keenan also wanted him gone. It was a combo deal as both Mess and Keenan wanted Garts to leave. So please if you need to, do a bit of research, it wasn't only Keenan who didn't want Gartner anymore. it was Messier as well.

Any of us who were old enough to remember knew that Messier was the one who truly called the shots seeing he was the only one in the organization at the time who knew what it took to win a Cup. And I read many times that Messier thought Gartner was too soft and that we needed more grit to win the Cup hence the trade to Toronto to get his buddy Anderson.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyway, I mostly agree.

My 3 best - Leetch, Zubov, Graves. I know Mess is Mess, but let's face it, Mess had better years as a Ranger. Zubov and Graves had career years and Leetch won the Conn Smythe.

Two of the worst would definitely be Wells and Gilbert. They were just bodies. Game was different back then. You could have guys who were just bodies cause there was less emphasis on "rolling four lines" at the time.

Now I was a little guy at the time but looking back, I feel like we were too hard on Lidster, whereas Kevin Lowe is always a guy I've had serious doubts about.

Probably just the advanced statistician in me. And no I don't have stats, but it's just a hunch based on play styles.

That makes it sound like you're breaking codes for the NSA. :laugh:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Brooklyn my friend, Messier absolutaly had alot to do with Gartner leaving town. I recall at time reading lots of stuff of how Mess didn't think he was a winner and he wanted him gone. I agree with you tho that Keenan also wanted him gone. It was a combo deal as both Mess and Keenan wanted Garts to leave. So please if you need to, do a bit of research, it wasn't only Keenan who didn't want Gartner anymore. it was Messier as well.

Any of us who were old enough to remember knew that Messier was the one who truly called the shots seeing he was the only one in the organization at the time who knew what it took to win a Cup. And I read many times that Messier thought Gartner was too soft and that we needed more grit to win the Cup hence the trade to Toronto to get his buddy Anderson.

I'm old enough to remember too....I don't need to do any "research".

And in the end, it doesn't matter--since the Rangers won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad