Best Alternative Hit of 2016

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
What was your favorite hit on alternative radio this year?

For the sake of consistency, the poll is limited to songs that entered the top 3 of the Alternative Songs Billboard chart this year. You're welcome to mention other songs, but these will be the only poll options. And yes, I know Walking on a Dream came out years ago, but it first charted this year.

Poll is anonymous.

2015: Cold War Kids - First, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B. (tie)
2014: Lorde - Team
2013:Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Sound

Last edited:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
For me the top 3 is clearly Kaleo (No Good is better), Nothing But Thieves, and Foals. Walking on a Dream shouldn't be listed as that's like 7 years old and a re-issue.

Thread title should also be "Your favorite song of my favorite 2016 alternative hits". No real rhyme or reason to the selection.

Bishop Brigs is amazing live, I will say that. They have a drummer that reproduces all of the beats and effects on his board. Pretty impressive and she's a great singer.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't know if this is considered alternative anymore with all these subgenres but for me it's "This Girl" by Kungs/Cookin' on 3 Burners. In the 90s/early 2000s it would have been on 120 Minutes on MTV or alternative rock radio so that's why I included it.

The Blink 182 single and album were decent.

I did like Dark Necessities as I'm a lifelong RHCP fan. I'm happy it did well. I would've changed a few things in the arrangement to make the piano creepier and guitars louder, but that's just me.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
For the sake of consistency, the poll is limited to songs that entered the top 3 of the Alternative Songs Billboard chart this year. You're welcome to mention other songs, but these will be the only poll options. And yes, I know Walking on a Dream came out years ago, but it first charted this year.

Walking on a Dream shouldn't be listed as that's like 7 years old and a re-issue.

Thread title should also be "Your favorite song of my favorite 2016 alternative hits". No real rhyme or reason to the selection.

"....but why male models?"

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Had to go with Good Grief because I'm a Bastille guy but this was an incredible year for alternative IMO.

This is sarcasm right?

The only options in that list even remotely appealing were the Cage the Elephant singles. The rest of the songs are pretty much pop-rock ******** that are a disgrace to rock music.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't get exposed to much new music at my age, but I heard this coming from a co-workers car and had to know what it was. I really like it. Not sure if it's what the youngin's call alternative these days though. Let me know :)

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I don't get exposed to much new music at my age, but I heard this coming from a co-workers car and had to know what it was. I really like it. Not sure if it's what the youngin's call alternative these days though. Let me know :)

Was on the alt charts. Last I saw K. Flay was more of a rapper, but guess she's changing it up for more appeal. This has a real Yeah Yeah Yeahs vibe.

Last edited:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This is sarcasm right?

The only options in that list even remotely appealing were the Cage the Elephant singles. The rest of the songs are pretty much pop-rock ******** that are a disgrace to rock music.

Completely serious. I follow modern alternative music very closely and almost every song on this list is a song I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Alternative is a completely different genre from rock, and it has differentiated itself as a separate genre more and more as time has gone on. If that genre does not match your personal tastes, that's fine, but don't call all these songs bad because they aren't rock, because that's not what alternative is. In recent years, alternative has put less emphasis on the classic 'guitar-heavy' setup, and there has been a bigger amount of emphasis in creative usage of instruments in many bands (although, of course, not all). If that's not for you, no problem, there's still the rock genre pumping out great music as well with a more 'classic' style.

There's lots of space in the music industry for every taste nowadays, with excellent music being produced for every genre if you know where to look. Within the boundaries of what modern alternative is, 2016 has had lots of very good popular songs.

I'll agree completely, I really enjoy this song. And yeah, it would definitely fit within the boundaries of alternative. I would personally not be ready to vote for it for a poll like this because I fear it will not be the type of song that will stay with me long-term like some of the others here, but that's just a gut feeling at this point.

Last edited:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Completely serious. I follow modern alternative music very closely and almost every song on this list is a song I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Alternative is a completely different genre from rock, and it has differentiated itself as a separate genre more and more as time has gone on. If that genre does not match your personal tastes, that's fine, but don't call all these songs bad because they aren't rock, because that's not what alternative is. In recent years, alternative has put less emphasis on the classic 'guitar-heavy' setup, and there has been a bigger amount of emphasis in creative usage of instruments in many bands (although, of course, not all). If that's not for you, no problem, there's still the rock genre pumping out great music as well with a more 'classic' style.

There's lots of space in the music industry for every taste nowadays, with excellent music being produced for every genre if you know where to look. Within the boundaries of what modern alternative is, 2016 has had lots of very good popular songs.

I'll agree completely, I really enjoy this song. And yeah, it would definitely fit within the boundaries of alternative. I would personally not be ready to vote for it for a poll like this because I fear it will not be the type of song that will stay with me long-term like some of the others here, but that's just a gut feeling at this point.
Lol bud, I know what alternative is, it's been my genre of choice for over a decade. Just not a fan of the pop path it has gone done recently. Barely resembles the great genre it once was.

For that reason, I guess I'm more of an indie guy these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad