Best All Star Game Ever

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
It will be very hard to recreate the Scott angle in all this though, which was a huge part of the success. The players did seem more engaged and I think the money on the line helped that.

It is a good idea going forward, but we will have to see how it goes year to year. People have thought other concepts were cool as well in the first couple years for it to fade. It is really on the players to bring this kind of energy to it each year. It really helped that Nashville fans were outstanding this week in my opinion as well.

That wasn't your typical corporate crowd either in my opinion.

Think it would have been entertaining regardless of the whole Scott angle. That seemed like more side show / subplot to the main event to me. At least that's how I saw it. Would have tuned in if Scott was there or not.

That said, you bring up a good point. In addition to the money, it could be the novelty of the whole situation that contributed to the guys actually competing to some extent. Guess we'll see how it holds up like ya say. Hope they stick with the same format for a while going forward while though.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
First time I have ever been sad to see an ASG end. Scott narrative aside the action on the ice was genuinely exciting for a change.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
John Scott was the why the game ruled. It was better than other all star games, sure, but the Scott stuff made it fun.

Really? I just don't see that.

It's a good story, yeah. The whole Scott thing started out as a joke, and eventually turned into a good ol' **** you to NHL executives once they tried to force him outta there. I'm all for that. Guy had a good night to which makes it especially cool.

Whether he was there or not though, I still think it'd be a good event.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Talked a lot of **** about the all-star game to friends, ended up watching it anyways. WOW, what I great game and awesome back story to go along with it. Also great to see Larkin shine in that first game. Brent Burns also turned me into a bigger fan of his after watching him tonight, kenneh needs to kick some tires around :sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the scott story is what MADE the asg great

you can tell the players themselves love the enforcers and know how hard a job it is and respect them for it, i

the scott angle was a rallying cry for the rest of the players and they delivered

that wont and cant ever be repeated

from
scott
burns
pavelski
subban
jagr

the game had so many great angles and the nashville fans were so receptive and so great

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Last year's was objectively entertaining, proved by the fact that there were more goals.

Sarcasm emoji.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Last time I watched an ASG was in the NA vs. World format. Watched all of five minutes of this and changed the channel.

Oh, and I hated the Scott idea from the get go. So there's that.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Would have ever predicted an NHL All Star game in 3 v 3 format would go 15 so long without a goal?

5 on 5 all star games had a lot of guys floating around doing nothing. In this game, everyone was skating hard. The Corey Perry interviewed showed him out of breath. When was the last time that happened in an all star game?

I called a 1-0 final, but I also figured it could just have easily been 15-13 :laugh:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Last time I watched an ASG was in the NA vs. World format. Watched all of five minutes of this and changed the channel.

Oh, and I hated the Scott idea from the get go. So there's that.

5770723+_52759c3c23bffcc9fd3e1ce8f657d8e2.jpg

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Really? I just don't see that.

It's a good story, yeah. The whole Scott thing started out as a joke, and eventually turned into a good ol' **** you to NHL executives once they tried to force him outta there. I'm all for that. Guy had a good night to which makes it especially cool.

Whether he was there or not though, I still think it'd be a good event.

I agree. The focus on Scott was cool but don't think it affected the higher compete level this ASG.

It was interesting how deeply the players and Nashville fans rallied to support Scott. Says a lot about the solidarity between NHL players and the values of the hockey community who went above and beyond to uplift a guy who represents the underdog or working class.

I loved Hall with Gaudreau, they were a sick combo, and being from rival teams added an entertaining element. All 3 games were fun to watch, good job by the players.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I would agree it was the most fun I've had watching an NHL AS game in years as well. Hell, I can't remember the last time I even watched one. But the elevated level of play, while appreciated, was only a minor benefit for me, and would not have attracted me to the game on its own. I watched for two reasons:

1) To see Dylan Larkin set a milestone in his rookie year. AS games are dumb, but this kid is special, and this AS experience is a huge part of his young career. Will be cool to be able to look back on it some day.

2) The John Scott side of the John Scott saga. Couldn't help but root hard for that guy. Glad it went well for him.

On the other hand, there were a couple of things (in addition to it being an AS game, which is stupid) that turned me off:

1) The NHL side of the John Scott saga. I just can't get on board with the people who run the NHL. They generally do a terrible job, and this was another bumbling screw-up that makes my favorite league look like amateur hour. I always try to support the Wings as much as possible while supporting the NHL as little as possible.

2) The cash prize involved. This is 2016 and these players make a ton of money. Don't give a million dollars to the players, give the million dollars to a charity (or charities) of the winning team's choosing. If that doesn't motivate them as much as the prospect of getting 100K when you're already a millionaire, then you've lost me before we've even hit the ice. The idea of these guys playing hard for a belated holiday bonus is kinda gross (but I do believe the bonus had a lot less to do with the players' motivation than did the actual 3v3 style.... it's harder to float and not feel embarrassed in that format).

Since neither the Larkin nor Scott factors will exist next year, it's extremely doubtful I watch it in 2017 (I'll probably still watch the skills competition, though).

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
2) The cash prize involved. This is 2016 and these players make a ton of money. Don't give a million dollars to the players, give the million dollars to a charity (or charities) of the winning team's choosing. If that doesn't motivate them as much as the prospect of getting 100K when you're already a millionaire, then you've lost me before we've even hit the ice. The idea of these guys playing hard for a belated holiday bonus is kinda gross (but I do believe the bonus had a lot less to do with the players' motivation than did the actual 3v3 style.... it's harder to float and not feel like a total ****** in that format).

Totally agreeing with that. Would have been much better.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...)
1) The NHL side of the John Scott saga. I just can't get on board with the people who run the NHL. They generally do a terrible job, and this was another bumbling screw-up that makes my favorite league look like amateur hour. I always try to support the Wings as much as possible while supporting the NHL as little as possible. (...)
At least the NHL PR department learned from its blunders and finally gave Scott's fairytale some coverage. On the other hand, the Coyotes' twitter account managed to completely refrain from mentioning their former "good soldier" (quote by Coyotes GM Maloney when he tried to explain the trade, which uprooted Scott from his nine-months-pregnant wife).

Gruß,
BSHH

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Totally agreeing with that. Would have been much better.

Don't know if it is true or not but the pacific team said they where giving there cash to Scott because of his twins about to be born and the bs the NHL did with trading him to ahl team/montreal.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Watch Holland trade for Scott...just so he can read the ********* here that would follow :laugh:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Watch Holland trade for Scott...just so he can read the ********* here that would follow :laugh:

If they could get him for NHL min salary him as a #7 def-d or 4th line winger that got 10 mins wouldn't be bad. If he was told only answer the bell in defense of teammates. Play hockey.

I really don't think that would be a bad role cause more often than not he can sit out as a extra or if he plays and plays well it would be a good deal. Sure he has skating issues but him as a winger for say AA and a scoring winger wouldn't be a bad line.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I woul like them to have the shootout challenge the day before and have the final game the next day. To be blunt I thought they looked gassed in the end.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The ASG is never going to have the magic it did when you were a child. Seeing Kane and Seguin together is like watching Thor and Ironman team up. It's the thrill of seeing the biggest names you watch on TV all together at the same time. It's the Avengers of hockey.

But that veneer is a thin one as a mature hockey fan, as you see guys floating around the ice and showing off their practice drill level of compete at best. We see the game for what it is, a corporate driven celebration of NHL self-promotion. One so concerned with their precious image they try to bully a guy voted into the game out of it.

Seeing Larkin skate fast was pretty cool. John Scott getting his cake and eating it too was even better. I had a few good laughs at how after Roenick is with a microphone. I can't believe he gets paid to talk about hockey. Maybe it's because he generates conversation he still has his job, because lord knows there's too many dry toast personalities in the NHL. If you watched the Friday night music thing they did, the player interviews were brutal. I just wish PK Subban was the only guy they followed around.

It's an event for the light-hearted. And more accurately, for the young at heart. Jaded folks like some of us aren't really the target market and there's nothing they can do to change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad