Best all around Defensemen in the NHL (Current Players)?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Based on what sample? The 10 games or less played so far this season?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Weber has really impressed me and I hate to admit it.

Honourable mentions:

Keith - CHI
Letang - PIT
Karlsson - OTT
Matt Hunwick - Every team the Leafs have played against.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If I am listing all situation defenseman I am going with.

Doughty
Keith
Weber
McDonagh
Pietrangelo (A little bias but w/e)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ken Hitchcock on Doughty just the other night, actually:

"“He’s the most complete defenseman in the league,” said Hitchcock, who with Doughty won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2014 Winter Olympics. “He’s the guy that you talk five tools, he’s got five tools. He’s got all five, and they’re all at a high level. He has ice in his veins when the game means the most, his competitive level is through the roof, but his disposition is calm, which has a major impact inside the locker room. Your feeling when you’re in the locker room with Drew is that you’re never in trouble. You’re never nervous, you’re never in trouble, you’re always in control of the situation. He reminds me of these elite golfers, to be honest with you, that the higher the stage, the more calm they are, and he has the ability to do that. It’s a very, very unique talent.”"

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/10/29/ample-respect-and-fun-quotes-when-kings-blues-meet/

Great way to describe Drew. I'm obviously biased but I think that's what makes him so great, being able to do everything at an elite level.

I don't think my list changes regardless of the 'all-around' label though. Still would go Doughty/Karlsson/Keith on top, Letang/Hedman right behind them, Subban/Weber/Suter/Pietrangelo right behind them.

Sgooter

Dec 4, 2014
Hedman...not. His intimidation rating is zero or less. Pretty much the same for the rest of Tampa's defensemen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hedman...not. His intimidation rating is zero or less. Pretty much the same for the rest of Tampa's defensemen.

Don't agree. Hedman has become a very solid Dman and a very good skater. Plus he has room to grow. This comes from a Habs fan and I hate facing him 8 games a year. Maybe he gets knocked out the top 5 but he's in top 10 mix for sure IMO

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Right now strictly based off of 2016 season id say Mcdonagh has to be up there, anchoring a putrid D core and hes on a 7 game point streak, day in and day out one of best NYR skaters and matches up against anyone they want. Obviously value wise not top but based off small sample this year i tip my hat to him

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Right now strictly based off of 2016 season id say Mcdonagh has to be up there, anchoring a putrid D core and hes on a 7 game point streak, day in and day out one of best NYR skaters and matches up against anyone they want. Obviously value wise not top but based off small sample this year i tip my hat to him

Came here to post about McD, hell of a defenseman.

Puts up points, shuts down top players and is a really strong skater. He's also amazingly disciplined, you don't see him take penalties often and he rarely is involved in any sort of altercation with the opposition.

When he's at his best he's top ten in the NHL

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You know I've been pumping eks tires for a few years but I'm not sure is take him first if I had a competent offense.

Webers style of play is a breath of fresh air compared to the offensive/puck carrying mindset of pk. I'm stating to lean towards the all around guys like dd, weber,vlasic, piets,MCD, Keith. I can't even pretend to have an opinion on burns, in my limited viewing its wrong so I'll withhold.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

I'm biased as a Rangers fan, but he has been an all-situations d-man for the Rangers and has done well.

Non-Rangers:

A guy I haven't seen mentioned here is Ekblad. I'd feel pretty good about him.

I think Brent Burns is up there, as is Doughty, even though I hate the Kings. Weber is also an all-situations d-man. He has that shot, but he's also defensive (and nasty) for a good PK unit.

Duncan Keith is part of that group, of course, and I think OEL is one of the premier young d-men in the league, though that's hardly a secret.

Karlsson is very good, but he's not a guy I'm totally comfortable with on the PK.

None of these are revelations, by any means.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Came here to post about McD, hell of a defenseman.

Puts up points, shuts down top players and is a really strong skater. He's also amazingly disciplined, you don't see him take penalties often and he rarely is involved in any sort of altercation with the opposition.

When he's at his best he's top ten in the NHL

Your right... He's pretty impressive when he's on his game for sure!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Weird not seeing the current co-leader in points and not too far removed from a 50 point season with a 7+ year reputation of elite defensive play on any top 10 list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad