Music: Best Albums of the Year series: 2004

Select your 10 (or fewer) favourite albums of 2004

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Other:
Best Of Both Worlds-Midnight Oil
Shock/Denial/Anger/Acceptance-Rick Springfield
Unearthed-Johnny Cash
Love. Angel. Music. Baby.-Gwen Stefani
Around The Sun-REM
Our Kind Of Soul-Hall And Oates

My Best-Carey

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Omnia - Crone of War
The greatest folk album ever made, I doubt it will ever be topped.

HM:
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Converge - You Fail Me
Circle Takes the Square - As the Roots Undo
Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer
Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer
Jem - Finally Woken

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Nice to see Madvillainy getting a lot of love. I don't know anyone who likes hip hop that doesn't like that album.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Friendly reminder: if you're going to select 'Other' as a poll option, please choose at least of the 30 available options.

Only choosing 'Other' skews the poll, and eliminates the whole purpose (and fun) of the exercise. If I could include 100 albums in the poll, I would.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Omnia - Crone of War
The greatest folk album ever made, I doubt it will ever be topped.

Reigning Sound - Too Much Guitar

Interesting choices! I'm only through two songs from that Reigning Sound album, but I like it. Omnia, I'm really not too sure what that was, and I don't think I could listen to it start to finish, but parts of it were amazing, I'll get back to it for sure (and Aladyyn, got to love the diversity of that short list!).

Reactions: Aladyyn

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
Interesting choices! I'm only through two songs from that Reigning Sound album, but I like it. Omnia, I'm really not too sure what that was, and I don't think I could listen to it start to finish, but parts of it were amazing, I'll get back to it for sure (and Aladyyn, got to love the diversity of that short list!).

If you can dig an album full of Garage Rock/Punk Blues, it’s a great album, albeit rather unvaried. That can actually be said of almost everything Greg Cartwright (the frontman) does tbh.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Well shit, CTTS already has a vote...was not expecting to see that.

The correct answer to this is: Circle Takes the Square - As the Roots Undo.

AINEC

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well shit, CTTS already has a vote...was not expecting to see that.

The correct answer to this is: Circle Takes the Square - As the Roots Undo.

AINEC

Not that I want to question your correct answer, but just on the metal spectrum, there's at least Miss Machine and The Blood Brother's Crimes that are far above As the Roots Undo (AINEC, IMO).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
My all-time favourite album was released in 2004 (which was a great year). It was Hopes & Fears by English band Keane. Unique sound in a way despite being a pop rock album because they used the keyboard and completely ignored the guitar excluding bass.

Also I know a bunch of you are into Tool so there was a debut album released by Amplifier in I think 2004 which is a nice mix of that prog/alternative.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Not that I want to question your correct answer, but just on the metal spectrum, there's at least Miss Machine and The Blood Brother's Crimes that are far above As the Roots Undo (AINEC, IMO).
Miss Machine is aiight. Never listened to the blood brothers much.

But, As the Roots Undo is the best album of all time by a wide margin in my opinion. So I disagree

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
T.E.F. - Corrugation
Halo Manash - SYoMA
Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta: Die Rückkehr Der Tollwütigen Bestie
Morton Feldman - Triadic Memories [Marilyn Nonken]
Revenge - Victory.Intolerance.Mastery
Thomas Köner - Nuuk
Kaija Saariaho - Chamber Music [Wolpe Trio]
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Ludwig van Beethoven - The Late String Quartets [Takács Quartet]

EDIT: Man, other is really crushing the field in this poll. Double the number of votes of the second highest choice. 21 of the 30 (?) options have garnered 2 or fewer votes. Is this the result of atomization among modern music listeners or just an outlying year?

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'm all for people voting Other. 30 is the maximum that the polling will allow me, but if I could put 100, I would. I totally get it. Half the fun of these threads are the recommendations that come from 'Other'.

Bottom line is that, for this to work, people can't just select other. It makes the gaining of consensus impossible, and kind of eliminates a big part of the exercise. I'd again ask anyone who is voting in the poll, to please choose at least one provided option. If you genuinely don't like a single of the 30 options... I'm not really sure what to say. I'll continue to do my best to provide diverse and genre-encompassing options.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
"Other" is probably going to dominate most post-2000 polls. There's much more diversity in the post-Napster age.

Reactions: Saturated Fats

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
"Other" is probably going to dominate most post-2000 polls. There's much more diversity in the post-Napster age.
You're 100% correct and it's totally expected for anything post-1998. I just hope some sense of consensus is gained from those years.

It's looking pretty good for Madvillainy here, regardless - which I love, but would definitely say is an upset!

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm all for people voting Other. 30 is the maximum that the polling will allow me, but if I could put 100, I would. I totally get it. Half the fun of these threads are the recommendations that come from 'Other'.

Bottom line is that, for this to work, people can't just select other. It makes the gaining of consensus impossible, and kind of eliminates a big part of the exercise. I'd again ask anyone who is voting in the poll, to please choose at least one provided option. If you genuinely don't like a single of the 30 options... I'm not really sure what to say. I'll continue to do my best to provide diverse and genre-encompassing options.

I know who I'd vote for on that poll (I've heard exactly one album on your list, Mastadon's Leviathan, and I'd have to vote for it by default), but I have to ask the incredibly stupid question... how do I vote in the poll?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I'm not sure to understand why it's that important for everybody to select albums from the list. I picked Bjork (that's in my top-10), Waits (that's just out of it) and Cave (that's out, but still a great album). These votes don't change anything in the final results and I could have voted only other and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

But you're the boss and I'll do as you wish. Anyway, I'm pretty sure some chunk of my list will be in your 1969 poll (I have a lot of fun making my list before you post the poll, so I see which of my picks are known enough to deserve this honor).

1969.... just too much top-end stuff, it's worse than 2004, I won't be able to pick only 10.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I know who I'd vote for on that poll (I've heard exactly one album on your list, Mastadon's Leviathan, and I'd have to vote for it by default), but I have to ask the incredibly stupid question... how do I vote in the poll?

Poll is closed, catch the next one. 1969. L'année érotique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad