Music: Best Albums of the Year series: 2004

Select your 10 (or fewer) favourite albums of 2004

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Man, I love Beefheart, but organic is not a word I would use to describe the conveyance of their music. While it sounds distinct in the way that I couldn't imagine it anyway else, to me, his music comes across as an elaborate puzzle that resembles more a masterful jenga tower made by a ridiculous architect.
Sure, but I don't see why that wouldn't be considered organic, personally. Again, it's not really a how much work actually goes into it thing for me. I imagine that even among meticulous architects and puzzle-makers, there are guys who seem naturally brilliant at it and guys who feel like they're trying too hard.

Beefheart just sounds like someone who absolutely naturally "gets it" to me, regardless of how elaborate his music is-- his material doesn't come across like he's going "look how impressive my music is"-- it just is what it is. I don't think it feels forced or artificial at all, unlike how I sometimes feel about a lot of complex/intricate acts like, say, Tool or Jazz Fusion bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sure, but I don't see why that wouldn't be considered organic, personally. Again, it's not really a how much work actually goes into it thing for me. I imagine that even among meticulous architects and puzzle-makers, there are guys who seem naturally brilliant at it and guys who feel like they're trying too hard.

Beefheart just sounds like someone who absolutely naturally "gets it" to me, regardless of how elaborate his music is-- his material doesn't come across like he's going "look how impressive my music is"-- it just is what it is. I don't think it feels forced or artificial at all, unlike how I sometimes feel about a lot of complex/intricate acts like, say, Tool or Jazz Fusion bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever.

Maybe we just have a different way of using the word 'organic'. To me, organic kind of points towards a sort of sound flow that seems to respect the logical/respectful order of the preceding action (if that makes any sense? Words aren't always sufficient.). I don't get that with Beefheart and yet it works in the best of ways. In the most extraordinary manner, his music, to me, sounds labored in the way that one can itch the same skin spot until it bleeds...

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Maybe we just have a different way of using the word 'organic'. To me, organic kind of points towards a sort of sound flow that seems to respect the logical/respectful order of the preceding action (if that makes any sense? Words aren't always sufficient.). I don't get that with Beefheart and yet it works in the best of ways. In the most extraordinary way, his music, to me, sounds labored in the way that one can itch the same skin spot until it bleeds...
Yeah, that definitely sounds different to me. Wouldn't that just mean organic = conventional/straight-forward and make even something like Thelonious Monk artificial/inorganic? He's about as genuine and natural as they come.

I don't know what to do with that last line at all. :laugh:

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, that definitely sounds different to me. Wouldn't that just mean organic = conventional and make something like Thelonious Monk artificial/inorganic? He's about as genuine and natural as they come.

I don't know what to do with that last line at all. :laugh:

I treat it like sort of but not really exactly the opposite of pretentious. Something's organic as long as it doesn't feel like heavy-handed bull-**** in some way, IMO.

Eh..it doesn't have to be conventional at all to come across as organic or coming from a genuine, truthful sensibility. I want to say effortless, but that doesn't work either. But it's more than just not feeling heavy-handed, at least on a technical level. There's something incredibly cacophonic about his music that almost defies the idea of organic, to me. What I meant by the last sentence is not that itching the same spot until it bleeds to be an honorable or pleasurable action, but just the kind of give an image to the sort of madman, almost absurd dedication that the music communicates.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Eh..it doesn't have to be conventional at all to come across as organic or coming from a genuine, truthful sensibility. I want to say effortless, but that doesn't work either. But it's more than just not feeling heavy-handed, at least on a technical level. There's something incredibly cacophonic about his music that almost defies the idea of organic, to me. What I meant by the last sentence is not that itching the same spot until it bleeds to be an honorable or pleasurable action, but just the kind of give an image to the sort of madman, almost absurd dedication that the music communicates.
Yeah, you caught that before the edit. I'm having trouble pinning it down too. I ended up landing on this:

To me, something feels inorganic if there's an air of it being just an ambitious perfectionist trying to come across a certain way and appear impressive to other people or meta-game the reaction, and something feels organic if it feels like they're only out to impress themselves and indulge in their interests naturally, regardless of whether or not they're being watched. To me, an unhinged psychotic madman (and really cacophony in general) would be more likely to fall under that category than not, because psychotic madmen tend to just do whatever they want without a care for perception.

It's rare (and seem bizarre) for me to think of total eccentrics who 100% march to the beat of their own drum (with music that feels that way) and who aren't easily swayed by others as inorganic. That's close to synonymous to the definition, to me.

In any case, that's what I mean when I defend the idea that "some artists can indeed feel like they're trying too hard."

Edit: I guess you're using it in more of a "this music sounds so intuitive and natural that it has a familiarity to it that seems like it should have always existed, and somebody was bound to make it eventually" kind of way. Like the way Ceremony sounds, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad