Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
1) To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey
2) Garbage - Garbage
3) A.M. - Wilco
4) Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
5) The Bends - Radiohead
6) Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris

Jagged Little Pill would get my vote as worst album of the year, and possibly worst album ever.

I actually like this album but I have a "musician joke" I make with friends: Flea doing a Jaco Pastorious impersonation got Alanis Morrisette onto heavy MTV rotation.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I remember this year very well. I waited what felt like forever for the Chili Peppers to finish One Hot Minute and I loved it when it came out in September. That August Mortal Kombat came out in the theaters and Warped by RHCP along with Galaxy by Blind Melon from their Soup album and Runway from Janet Jackson's Greatest Hits were on heavy rotation. It was the first summer of Warped Tour which would foreshadow the punk/ska movement that started a little later.

Big years for Rancid, Bjork, Oasis, Radiohead, Pulp, Pavement, Green Day kept the momentum going, and Faith No More put out a record that got trashed but would expand their universe.

To me 1995 was the epilogue of the Lollapalooza Era which went from 1991- fall 1995. The climate changed so much from the spring of that year to the fall, it was crazy. 1996 was like an entirely different ballgame too.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Nostalgia vote for this album

R-528351-1298180794.jpeg.jpg

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Solid year for metal. Voted Death, Opeth, and other

At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul
Fear Factory-Demanufacture
Dissection-Storm of the Lights Bane

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
1995 was a good year.

Behemoth - Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic)
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre
Death - Symbolic
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Isengard - Høstmørke
King Diamond - The Spider's Lullaby
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River
Running Wild - Masquerade
Saint Vitus - Die Healing
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Usurper - Diabolosis
Vader - De Profundis
Vital Remains - Into Cold Darkness

Land of the Free is probably a top ten power metal album of all time in a year with a lot of great power metal. I might put Burnt Offerings in that same group, but I'm going to pick Gamma Ray - Land of the Free as my album of the year.
I haven't listened to that album in ages. Something to do for later. Great album.

Reactions: Cas

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The Bends is my favourite album by Radiohead for My Iron Lung alone.

My favourites would be Just, Street Spirit and Fake Plastic Trees. Bones is an underrated one, and Nice Dream and Planet Telex are good too. I tend to skip the three songs between My Iron Lung and Street Spirit.

Reactions: Eisen

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
There are four albums that I hold higher than everything else in 95, and two of them are in my top-25 of all time. I go back and forth between which work I think is the best, but I'll go with Liquid Swords. I am a total sucker for hip-hop that is driven by extended motifs or thematic skits, and the samurai-and-son skit, alongside GZA's ironclad lyrics, are unforgettable. Songs like 'Duel of the Iron Mic' and 'Labels' are absolute stone-cold classics, and it is maybe my third-favourite hip-hop album of all time, behind Illmatic and Atrocity Exhibition. But Post also deserves a shout for being the first in perhaps the greatest album trilogy in any modern artist's catalogue. Björk is a goddamned genius.

1. Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
2. Björk - Post

3. Swans - The Great Annihilator
4. Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

5. Mobb Deep - The Infamous
6. Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
7. Fugazi - Red Medicine
8. Red House Painters - Ocean Beach

9. Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains
10. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Bends is my favourite album by Radiohead for My Iron Lung alone.

Yeah the noisy/deconstructed parts are pretty cool, but the song they mess up with is still pretty bland (to me). The comparable on the Mr. Bungle album would be Merry Go Bye Bye. I think it's better on all levels, but as said a few times before, I am Patton-biased (and you could add Spruance-biased, and probably Dunn-biased too) - and really not a fan of Radiohead.

(this is meant to be loud ;-) )

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Solid year for metal. Voted Death, Opeth, and other

At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul
Fear Factory-Demanufacture
Dissection-Storm of the Lights Bane

Great call and correct me if I'm wrong because Headbanger's Ball was over by the time this album arrived so it wouldn't have nearly the mainstream appeal in the US (MTV's SuperRock hosted by Jackie Farry was also over) but was this one of those albums that took about a year to gain momentum? I remember the first time I heard Fear Factory was the spring of 1996 and they'd be pretty well known the next 5 years.

Another album I'd like to mention is the debut of Candiria Sirealistic Madness.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Another album that has gone through many emotions and opinions over the years. Nirvana rips offs, overplayed, frauds (not my words), forgotten, and now appreciated since mainstream music is terrible.

I remember in 2007 when the song “Straight Lines” came out, and I heard it on the radio one day. I couldn’t believe it was Silverchair. I think on Frogstomp they were trying to sound like Seattle grunge bands, but over time, their music matured.

Frogstomp is still a good debut though.

Tomorrow
Pure Massacre
Shade
Suicidal Dream

Those are the standout tracks for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roo Returns

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Another album that has gone through many emotions and opinions over the years. Nirvana rips offs, overplayed, frauds (not my words), forgotten, and now appreciated since mainstream music is terrible.

They weren't even old enough to drive when they made that album...

From Frogstomp's Wikipedia page:

In 2015, James Rose of the Daily Review wrote of the album, "As an album in its own right, it's pretty good. As a debut by three 15 year olds, it's about as good as it gets."

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They weren't even old enough to drive when they made that album...

From Frogstomp's Wikipedia page:

In 2015, James Rose of the Daily Review wrote of the album, "As an album in its own right, it's pretty good. As a debut by three 15 year olds, it's about as good as it gets."

@Perennial @Darcy Loewen I agree with you both. I'm only saying what the perception was back in 1995 at least in the Northeast US.

Some of it definitely was jealousy. A bunch of teenagers put out one of the better albums of that year.

1995 was a weird time because it was still during the "trying to replace Nirvana with a trio" era. Green Day benefited that from a little, Silverchair had to deal with it.

Even later in the decade bands like Seven Mary Three got labelled as Nirvana rip offs and everyone was thirsty for a new Nirvana, it even impacted At The Drive-In in 2000/2001 for Relationship In Command.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
First Foo Fighters record was pretty solid. Dave Grohl played all the instruments on that one. 25 years later, they’re still going.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah the noisy/deconstructed parts are pretty cool, but the song they mess up with is still pretty bland (to me). The comparable on the Mr. Bungle album would be Merry Go Bye Bye. I think it's better on all levels, but as said a few times before, I am Patton-biased (and you could add Spruance-biased, and probably Dunn-biased too) - and really not a fan of Radiohead.

(this is meant to be loud ;-) )

I like the noisy part better as well, but you need the "bland" part as a contrast. I tried just noise music, but it doesn't work for me.
And yeah, Mr. Bungle is great.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad