Movies: Best Actor Tournament (Round 5) - VOTING CLOSED

Choose an actor for each pairing based on acting talent + movie/TV selection/filmography

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
For each match-up, please consider:

- Acting talent
- Movie/TV selection/filmography

Actors seeded "based on the cumulative domestic box office of all the movies a star has had a leading role in over their lifetime".

Top 100 Stars in Leading Roles at the Domestic Box Office

BRACKET (Click to Enlarge):

oy1h1joy.svg

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Now it's on.

There were a few coin flip choices for me in this round.

I've already called the winner (in my own mind). Not suggesting we should make predictions aloud and ruin the fun.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
De Niro vs Pitt is a tough one for me... Too bad there's still weaker actors that sneaked in all the way... (Neeson vs Elba, well... at least they'll be both gone by next round, but making it to the quarter finals will be huge for the winner here, whoever it is, he should add this HF poll to their resume).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
De Niro vs Pitt is a tough one for me... Too bad there's still weaker actors that sneaked in all the way... (Neeson vs Elba, well... at least they'll be both gone by next round, but making it to the quarter finals will be huge for the winner here, whoever it is, he should add this HF poll to their resume).
I think Depp is weak as well, there'll be one semifinalist there who's questionable. It's surprised me to see he's done so well, have people not seen where his career has went?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think Depp is weak as well, there'll be one semifinalist there who's questionable. It's surprised me to see he's done so well, have people not seen where his career has went?

I admit I am guilty!! I've been voting for Depp without second thoughts, but I haven't seen a film of his since 2009!! :)
So it's been that bad?

When I first went through the poll, I thought Sir Hopkins was a sure thing, but I guess seeing him in MI:2 this week made me re-question myself and I finally went with Iron Man, who's a pretty cool actor anyway.

And I went with Pitt. Not sure I agree with myself on this one, but it really was the toughest matchup since the beginning for me, and anyway De Niro will make it to next round (only Nicholson has a chance of taking him out IMO).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I admit I am guilty!! I've been voting for Depp without second thoughts, but I haven't seen a film of his since 2009!! :)
So it's been that bad?

When I first went through the poll, I thought Sir Hopkins was a sure thing, but I guess seeing him in MI:2 this week made me re-question myself and I finally went with Iron Man, who's a pretty cool actor anyway.

And I went with Pitt. Not sure I agree with myself on this one, but it really was the toughest matchup since the beginning for me, and anyway De Niro will make it to next round (only Nicholson has a chance of taking him out IMO).
Oh yeah, he's really gone off the rails. This is one of the first times I've voted for him though. Murray does nothing for me, his roles are always so similar.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Oh yeah, he's really gone off the rails. This is one of the first times I've voted for him though. Murray does nothing for me, his roles are always so similar.

I've just seen Murray in the credit scene of the second Zombieland and well............ that was a miss.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I neither think of Murray as a great actor nor a great comedian. He's....okay, he has some comical movies. But certainly not worth the praise he gets. I didn't like Groundhog Day and wouldn't be sad if I never saw Ghostbusters again in my life. Caddyshack was good, but he's probably the 3rd funniest guy in it. Lost in Translation could put me to sleep and I usually like slow moving movies.

I realize I'm in the minority here.

Reactions: OzzyFan

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In this race, we have no fillies in the quarterfinals. Kind of thought Blanchett might get this far, but she didn't.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
De Niro vs Pitt is a tough one for me... Too bad there's still weaker actors that sneaked in all the way... Neeson vs Elba,
well... at least they'll be both gone by next round, but making it to the quarter finals will be huge for the winner here, whoever it is, he should add this HF poll to their resume).

i Feel the same about Pitt and Downey Jr and the opposite about Elba, especially about his work in Luther.

Reactions: kihei

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was thinking of inserting the winner of all this into a new bracket with actors that weren't in this list, so like more of the critically acclaimed ones. Wouldn't be 256, but probably a smaller tournament of ~32 or something. Not sure how I'll seed them yet, but I'll find some way. Some ones I thought of:

Joaquin Phoenix
Daniel Day Lewis
James Stewart
Marlon Brando
Gary Oldman
Philip Seymour Hoffman

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was thinking of inserting the winner of all this into a new bracket with actors that weren't in this list, so like more of the critically acclaimed ones. Wouldn't be 256, but probably a smaller tournament of ~32 or something. Not sure how I'll seed them yet, but I'll find some way. Some ones I thought of:

Joaquin Phoenix
Daniel Day Lewis
James Stewart
Marlon Brando
Gary Oldman
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Off the top of my head, some others you could add are:
Henry Fonda
Warren Beatty
Sean Penn
Dennis Hopper
Frances McDormand
Helen Mirren
Javier Bardem
Sally Field
James Gandolfini
Michelle Williams
Tom Wilkinson
Paul Giamatti

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This might open up a big can of (departed) worms:

Cary Grant
Humphrey Bogart
Clark Gable
Marilyn Monroe
James Dean
Peter Sellers
Richard Burton
Gregory Peck
Laurence Olivier
Steve McQueen
Bette Davis
Katherine Hepburn
...and so on

I mean, where would you draw the line?

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I mean, where would you draw the line?
64 wouldn't be bad, it'd just be a matter of seeding them properly. There are already 31 people mentioned in these few posts, which would fill out the bracket of 32 with the winner of this.

Maybe something like Oscar nominations for seeding, I'm not really sure. Or maybe I could find like a reputable actor ranking with a lot of these actors on there and go by that.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'll be voting Peter Sellers all the way through no matter what you throw in, but give me Christopher Walken. Mickey Rourke too, used to love him!

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Joe Pesci could also be included. I don't think he was in the early rounds, unless my memory is failing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Peter Sellers
Vincent Gallo

And I realize I like a bunch of French actors.
Me, too.

Jean Louis Trintignant
Jean Paul Belmondo
Yves Montand
Alain Delon
Gerard Depardieu
Catherine Deneuve
Marion Cotillard
Jean Gabin
Simone Signoret
Juliette Binoche
Isabelle Huppert
Jeanne Moreau
Romain Duris
Jean-Pierre Leaud
Philippe Noiret
Jean Rochefort

Pretty decent round of 16.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Me, too.

Jean Louis Trintignant
Jean Paul Belmondo
Yves Montand
Alain Delon
Gerard Depardieu
Catherine Deneuve
Marion Cotillard
Jean Gabin
Simone Signoret
Juliette Binoche
Isabelle Huppert
Jeanne Moreau
Romain Duris
Jean-Pierre Leaud
Philippe Noiret
Jean Rochefort

Pretty decent round of 16.

Well.... Isabelle Huppert for sure, but also...

Fabrice Luchini
Jean-Pierre Bacri
Michel Piccoli
Michel Serreault
Valeria Bruni Tedeschi
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Denis Podalydès
Jeanne Balibar
Natacha Régnier

And too many more...

Oh and TJ, no need for all these Frenchies that won't get a single vote, but add John Malkovich!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well.... Isabelle Huppert for sure, but also...

Fabrice Luchini
Jean-Pierre Bacri
Michel Piccoli
Michel Serreault
Valeria Bruni Tedeschi
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Denis Podalydès
Jeanne Balibar
Natacha Régnier

And too many more...

Oh and TJ, no need for all these Frenchies that won't get a single vote, but add John Malkovich!

I have seen only one Fabrice Luchini movie and everything about him, especically in interview, makes me want to punch him in the head.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I have seen only one Fabrice Luchini movie and everything about him, especically in interview, makes me want to punch him in the head.

You and I are very different persons. I would watch Luchini read cereal boxes and I'd piss myself laughing. Here he tells about his first meeting with Roland Barthes, that he chased down to the University after he signed a positive review of Perceval le Gallois, a Rohmer film that was widely trashed by critics and the general audience:

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I am a little late to the party, and was shocked to not see DiCaprio there, then checked the bracket to see he lost to Hanks. Probably the only one I am ok with him losing to.

IMO Hanks and DiCaprio are 1 and 2 all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad