Movies: Best Actor Tournament - Quarterfinals - VOTING CLOSED

Choose an actor for each pairing based on acting talent + movie/TV selection/filmography

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Please consider:

- Acting talent
- Movie/TV selection/filmography

Jack Nicholson won the tournament of 256 actors and now will go up against 63 other HF-nominated actors that were not in the original tournament.

Original Tournament Final:

Movies: - Best Actor Tournament (FINALS) - JACK NICHOLSON WINS

Bracket

l4unt9cf.svg

GROUP STAGE

Group A

Jack NicholsonGary Oldman
Marion CotillardBruce Campbell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group B

Katharine HepburnChristopher Plummer
Sidney PoitierBen Foster
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group C

Ingrid BergmanJoe Pesci
John WayneSteve Buscemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group D

Daniel Day LewisLaura Dern
Henry FondaDonald Sutherland
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group E

Marlon BrandoPhilip Seymour Hoffman
Casey AffleckHarvey Keitel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group F

Sean PennKathy Bates
Juliette BinochePaul Giamatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group G

Gene HackmanJavier Bardem
Sam RockwellTom Hardy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group H

Frances McDormandGeorge C. Scott
Christopher WalkenCharlie Chaplin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group I

Sally FieldHelen Mirren
Sean ConneryMickey Rourke
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group J

Christoph WaltzAlec Guinness
Peter O'TooleVincent Gallo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group K

Laurence OlivierClark Gable
Warren BeattyToshiro Mifune
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group L

Sissy SpacekHumphrey Bogart
Michelle WilliamsMaggie Cheung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group M

Judi DenchJoaquin Phoenix
Gena RowlandsTony Leung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group N

Ellen BurstynJulianne Moore
Peter SellersGong Li
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group O

Audrey HepburnRobert Duvall
Cary GrantSong Kang-ho
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group P

Gregory PeckJames Stewart
James DeanMax Von Sydow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Bogart is not in the same league as those other guys (unless we're just talking about fame).

Also, why is every actor still in this a man and why are they all older actors? I don't have a problem with one of them winning the whole thing but the fact that all eight are in that same classification is a bit askew.

Reactions: Zeppo

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bogart is not in the same league as those other guys (unless we're just talking about fame).

Also, why is every actor still in this a man and why are they all older actors? I don't have a problem with one of them winning the whole thing but the fact that all eight are in that same classification is a bit askew.

1311109.jpg

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Older actors have accumulated more of a portfolio of work over a greater period of time. As for why there are no women left? Well, that's clearly sexism rearing it's ugly, phallic-shaped head.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Modern actors ooze technique in a way that most Hollywood stars of the Golden Age don't. But if you look at the range of roles that Bogart played in a great filmography, he doesn't have to apologize for getting this far.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Older actors have accumulated more of a portfolio of work over a greater period of time. As for why there are no women left? Well, that's clearly sexism rearing it's ugly, phallic-shaped head.

I had a look at the bracket and some of the best women actors went up against the remaining finalists in the first round.

The fact that Meryl Streep isn't in the tournament for whatever reason is probably a factor.

EDIT: Re-read the OP, ok, it's the ones that were out of the original tournament. Amazing quality of actors in this tournament that weren't in the original.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Modern actors ooze technique in a way that most Hollywood stars of the Golden Age don't. But if you look at the range of roles that Bogart played in a great filmography, he doesn't have to apologize for getting this far.

How do you evaluate acting from earlier eras? Is it simply unfair to compare them with modern actors?

I can find the hammy, over-the-top delivery difficult to overcome when trying to take a film seriously.

I found this funny:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the hammy stuff, I usually associate with genre works, comedies,
How do you evaluate acting from earlier eras? Is it simply unfair to compare them with modern actors?

I can find the hammy, over-the-top delivery difficult to overcome when trying to take a film seriously.

I found this funny:

I agree that hammy line delivery can be a real impediment for people trying to get into old black and white (another impediment) movies. I grew up at a time when these movies were showing frequently on late night television, and then, much later, featured on TVO's wonderful Saturday Night at the Movie, a weekly double feature of classic movies hosted by the irrepressible Elwy Yost. I guess early exposure helped me to take it in stride. Plus it was usually minor characters who amped up the hammy and usually in comedies. But, sure, I can see the difficulty. I had a similar problem with the uber-hammy approach used in silent films,

But there have always been great acting performances in all eras, and I don't think I would evaluate them much differently if they come from a present era or a distant one. I think the one thing I notice most, though, is the transition from movie star acting, relying heavily on persona and to some extent charisma, and the more drama-school approach of modern actors with its emphasis on acting chops and versatility. The Golden Age guys had some superb technicians among them, like Olivier, Gielgud and later Burton, O'Toole, and Hopkins--though, in their cases, the closer their movies were to actual plays or movies that encouraged theatrical performances (Richard III, Hamlet The Entertainer in Olivier's case; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Look Back in Anger and Beckett in Richard Burton's case; The Lion in Winter, Lawrence of Arabia and Beckett in Peter O'Toole's case, for example), the better they were. Daniel Day Lewis doesn't seem to have that sort of limitation. He can do anything and accept any challenge as an actor.

But that doesn't mean the movie stars were bad actors. William Holden is one of my favourite actors; Bette Davis brought an intensity to her performances that was often riveting; John Wayne was pretty damn impressive in some of those cowboy movie and he practically weaponized persona. Grant, Bogart, Gable, Cooper, Cliff, Taylor, Katherine Hepburn, et al--all of them contributed greatly with their acting to a host of entertaining movies. There are lots of ways to be good. Though I know he could be over the top early in his career in those screwball comedies, I would take Grant's body of work as an actor over just about anybody remaining in our competition. Just so many fun movies, with him the biggest reason why.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad