• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
ESTaX_dXUAIBbPa.jpg

Please consider:

- Acting talent
- Movie/TV selection/filmography

Jack Nicholson won the tournament of 256 actors and now will go up against 63 other HF-nominated actors that were not in the original tournament.

Original Tournament Final:

Movies: - Best Actor Tournament (FINALS) - JACK NICHOLSON WINS

Bracket

l4unt9cf.svg

GROUP STAGE

Group A

Jack NicholsonGary Oldman
Marion CotillardBruce Campbell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group B

Katharine HepburnChristopher Plummer
Sidney PoitierBen Foster
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group C

Ingrid BergmanJoe Pesci
John WayneSteve Buscemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group D

Daniel Day LewisLaura Dern
Henry FondaDonald Sutherland
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group E

Marlon BrandoPhilip Seymour Hoffman
Casey AffleckHarvey Keitel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group F

Sean PennKathy Bates
Juliette BinochePaul Giamatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group G

Gene HackmanJavier Bardem
Sam RockwellTom Hardy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group H

Frances McDormandGeorge C. Scott
Christopher WalkenCharlie Chaplin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group I

Sally FieldHelen Mirren
Sean ConneryMickey Rourke
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group J

Christoph WaltzAlec Guinness
Peter O'TooleVincent Gallo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group K

Laurence OlivierClark Gable
Warren BeattyToshiro Mifune
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group L

Sissy SpacekHumphrey Bogart
Michelle WilliamsMaggie Cheung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group M

Judi DenchJoaquin Phoenix
Gena RowlandsTony Leung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group N

Ellen BurstynJulianne Moore
Peter SellersGong Li
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group O

Audrey HepburnRobert Duvall
Cary GrantSong Kang-ho
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group P

Gregory PeckJames Stewart
James DeanMax Von Sydow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
DDL--he's played such a variety of characters and he always disappears into his roles very convincingly .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
DDL--he's played such a variety of characters and he always disappears into his roles very convincingly .

I've got to ask: what's your perspective on method acting? My approach tends to be whatever works works but I find myself being so much more impressed by an actor who can give a perfect take and then ask 'what's for lunch?' as soon as somebody yells cut.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've got to ask: what's your perspective on method acting? My approach tends to be whatever works works but I find myself being so much more impressed by an actor who can give a perfect take and then ask 'what's for lunch?' as soon as somebody yells cut.
I find the method approach potentially irritating, but the proof is in the pudding. When it works--Marlon Brando, Daniel Day Lewis, James Dean, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Montgomery Cliff, Harvey Keitel, Dennis Hopper--it can lead to some breathtaking performances. So I guess with actors in general, for me it is not so much how they get there, it's the end result. Certainly DDL is famous for staying in character until a shoot is over--must have been a hoot to be around during Lincoln. Anthony Quinn was another one who had to vegetate into a role to the point of not washing for days. Brando, though, not so much, especially later in his career.

I remember an interview, must have been in the early '70s, when a kid reporter from Rolling Stone magazine keeps pressing an increasingly irritated Brando on how he, the kid reporter, can't accept that Brando could give the performance that he did in Last Tango in Paris without damaging his psyche, baring his soul, and maybe having to go into therapy permanently. Brando keeps demurring, but the kid keeps going on about how he won't believe an actor can just turn it on and off like that, saying "I just don't see how that is humanly possible?" At which point, Brando, not the most patient interviewee at the best of times, has had enough and then some. He totally loses it. He rants at the reporter, he screams, he looks like he is going to grab the kid around the throat and strangle him, and the reporter begins to seriously fear actual violence from Brando. And at the height of this fury, Brando stops on a dime, brushes off the kid's lapels, smiles and says "That's how."

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Nicholson always seems to play a version of himself. Very well, obviously, but the fact that it's Jack Nicholson is always present below the surface. DDL on the other hand completely transforms. If you watch an interview with him, it's hard to grasp this was the guy playing Bill the Butcher. I mean, he better be that good considering sometimes he takes years preparing for a role, and he never disappoints. I have to go with Daniel Day Lewis. He's almost in a league of his own.

One underrated performance by Nicholson you don't hear about very often is in The Pledge.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Good. I don't think I could take jack being considered the best actor of all time on hf. It would have broken me.

All hail DDL.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad