best 5 man units and best lines in history

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Did they ever slot Messier in as a LW on that line?

Probably not often, but hell...

Messier-Gretzky-Kurri
Coffey-Lowe

That would stack up :)

Wetcoaster

Boston's Kraut line - Schmidt, Bauer, Dumart. They finished 1,2,3 in scoring in 1939-40.

The Original Production line - Howe Abel and Lindsey. They finished 1,2,3 in scoring in 1949-50.

Also Richard, Blake and Lach from the Habs 1950's dynasties with Doug Harvey quarterbacking from the D.

You would also have to look at the Big Bad Bruins of 1970-71 with Esposito, Hodge and Cashman finishing 1, 3 and 7, Bobby Orr second in the league scoring and Johnny Bucyck third potting a lot of his goals on the power play. That was the 7-11 team where they had 7 of the top scorers in the NHL in the first 11.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/leaders/nhl19271971.html

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The Kid Line - Busher Jackson, Joe Primeau, Charlie Conacher - in 1931-32 they pulled off a unique feat. Conacher led the league in goals, Primeau in assists and Jackson in points. Only Jackson failed to repeat the mark in the playoffs as the Leafs won the Cup, but Frank Boucher led the playoff scoring race.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Also Richard, Blake and Lach from the Habs 1950's dynasties with Doug Harvey quarterbacking from the D.
The Punch Line didn't play with Harvey, they were the 1940's. I could be wrong on the exactly lines, but I know Beliveau, Geoffrion, Moore, Richard and Richard were their top 5, and I think Bert Olmstead was their 6th forward.

Wetcoaster

The Punch Line didn't play with Harvey, they were the 1940's. I could be wrong on the exactly lines, but I know Beliveau, Geoffrion, Moore, Richard and Richard were their top 5, and I think Bert Olmstead was their 6th forward.

Blake's last season was Harvey's rookie year.

The year the Punch line finished 1,2,3 in league scoring was 1944-45 and it was Butch Bouchard who was running the powerplay from the D along with Kenny Reardon who had just returned from three years overseas in WWII.

SChan*

does pp count?

Forsberg-Sakic-Kariya-Selanne and Blake

Probably best 5 man unit on ice for a clubteam.

It's still a mystery how Colorado managed to suck that year.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
In LA......

I remember going to Canuck games in the early 80's and seeing the Kings "Triple Crown Line" of Dionne, Simmer and Taylor. They basically did whatever they wanted to out there. In 1979-80 they tallied 146 goals and 182 assists for 328 points. Dionne tied for the scoring title (he won over Gretzky in goal scoring), and Simmer (missed 16 games)tied for the league lead in goals with 56. I'll also add that Taylor missed 19 games that year.

In 1980-81, all three finished in the top seven in league scoring. Dionne 135, Taylor (missed 8 games) 112, and Simmer (missed 15 games) with 105. Totals of 161-191 for 352pts.

1981-82 Simmer was hurt for much of the season but the line still racked up 102-158 for 260 points in just 206 man-games.

1982-83, it was Taylor's turn to miss a good chunk of the season but the line still put together totals of 106 goals, 139 assists for 245 points in 226 man-games.

In their final year (1983-84) together, both Dionne and Taylor missed fourteen and seventeen games respectively with Simmer managing to miss just one. Their totals were still 103 goals with 150 assists for 253 points in 208 games.

So, in the 5 full seasons they played together, the line produced 618 goals, 820 assists, for a total of 1438 points in just 1062 games.

It was for a short time, but that line might have been the last of the 'great' scoring lines. Gretzky and Kurri and (insert) 3rd player, didn't play with a third linemate for a long enough time to be considered. I'm not neccessarliy suggesting they are the greatest trio ever put together, but their numbers are truly staggering. Barring all of their injuries, if they had stayed healthy for those five seasons their numbers would've averaged out to 698 goals, 926 assists, for 1624 points in just 5 seaons. . That's almost 325 points a year, and that's pretty hard to top.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Blake's last season was Harvey's rookie year.

The year the Punch line finished 1,2,3 in league scoring was 1944-45 and it was Butch Bouchard who was running the powerplay from the D along with Kenny Reardon who had just returned from three years overseas in WWII.

But Harvey took a couple years years to get going, he wasn't the go to guy from day one.

That said, the Punch line was sick, they just didn't win alot of cups.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
best 5 man unit, my choice

Krutov-Larionov-Makarov-Fetisov-Kasatonov

I have to agree with this CSKA unit. They went toe to toe against Canada's mega line with Gretz and Mario.

Its a good measure point of how good they where in their prime. If Gretzky and Mario would have played together on the same line in the NHL they probably would have had 300 pts each, KML kept a even stride with them.

The story behind that line is terrible, Swedish TV had a documentary about them. Couldn't see their family for 8-10 month per year. They sleept behind locked doors at their training center. In 87' when they lost the World Championships, their 4 week vaction with the familys where cancelled and they where sent to a training camp instead... Imagine not beeing able to see your family for any extended period for almost 2 years because you lost a hockey game, thats sick.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I remember going to Canuck games in the early 80's and seeing the Kings "Triple Crown Line" of Dionne, Simmer and Taylor. They basically did whatever they wanted to out there. In 1979-80 they tallied 146 goals and 182 assists for 328 points. Dionne tied for the scoring title (he won over Gretzky in goal scoring), and Simmer (missed 16 games)tied for the league lead in goals with 56. I'll also add that Taylor missed 19 games that year.

In 1980-81, all three finished in the top seven in league scoring. Dionne 135, Taylor (missed 8 games) 112, and Simmer (missed 15 games) with 105. Totals of 161-191 for 352pts.

1981-82 Simmer was hurt for much of the season but the line still racked up 102-158 for 260 points in just 206 man-games.

1982-83, it was Taylor's turn to miss a good chunk of the season but the line still put together totals of 106 goals, 139 assists for 245 points in 226 man-games.

In their final year (1983-84) together, both Dionne and Taylor missed fourteen and seventeen games respectively with Simmer managing to miss just one. Their totals were still 103 goals with 150 assists for 253 points in 208 games.

So, in the 5 full seasons they played together, the line produced 618 goals, 820 assists, for a total of 1438 points in just 1062 games.

It was for a short time, but that line might have been the last of the 'great' scoring lines. Gretzky and Kurri and (insert) 3rd player, didn't play with a third linemate for a long enough time to be considered. I'm not neccessarliy suggesting they are the greatest trio ever put together, but their numbers are truly staggering. Barring all of their injuries, if they had stayed healthy for those five seasons their numbers would've averaged out to 698 goals, 926 assists, for 1624 points in just 5 seaons. . That's almost 325 points a year, and that's pretty hard to top.

Gretzky and Kurri played with Anderson alot earlier in the 80's then Anderson was on a line with Messier and the Oilers were looking for a LW to play with them for a couple of years then Tikkanen came along and was on a line with him for a couple of years regularly until Gretzky got traded.

Best line ever for me was the Gretzky Kurri Tikkanen line. The entire line could do it all. Tikkanen was the ultimate pest with a good scoring touch and Kurri and Tikkannen were good defensively and all thre were super clutch. And well Gretzky was Gretzky. In the playoffs they were unbelievable.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The Russian Five for their awesomeness, Sakic Forsberg Hejduk Bourque Blake was pretty sick, although that was rarely used as a line.

Whatever Man*

Although not the best all-time, what Ottawa iced last year was pretty impressive.

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
It atleast deserves to be thrown into a "best lines" discussion.

Tanguay - Forsberg/Sakic - Hejduk lines were also good in year's past.

The Deadmarsh - Allison - Palffy line did take to Sakic's line head to head in the playoffs.

Any line from the 90's with Lemieux and Jagr on it, has to be up there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad