Best 2003 draftee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
To me, I think Staal and Phaneuf will be the best players in the 2003 draft. Staal will be the best all-around forward and Phaneuf will be his equal on the blueline. Zherdev will put up the most points but he doesn't have the complete games like the other two.

Horton has an outside shot if he can stay healthy, and MA Fluery as well if his confidence gets a jump up and the Penquins don't give up on him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
No love for Vanek in here?

Although maybe not quite as good {its way too early to tell at the moment, of course}, the guy is clearly in the same ballpark as Zherdev talent wise, and above everyone else.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Rowley Birkin said:
No love for Vanek in here?

Although maybe not quite as good {its way too early to tell at the moment, of course}, the guy is clearly in the same ballpark as Zherdev talent wise, and above everyone else.

Clearyl? how do we know that? I like Vanek and think he has great potential... but untill he gets a chance to show it..can we say hes in the same park as Zherdev....where as Zherdev has shown he can do it at a higher level.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
HOCKEY_GURU said:
Clearyl? how do we know that? I like Vanek and think he has great potential... but untill he gets a chance to show it..can we say hes in the same park as Zherdev....where as Zherdev has shown he can do it at a higher level.

Funny, I forget Vanek only tied for 2nd in the AHL in goals with 42 in just his rookie year. Seems to me he's having no difficulty at all adjusting to more difficult leagues.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
Funny, I forget Vanek only tied for 2nd in the AHL in goals with 42 in just his rookie year. Seems to me he's having no difficulty at all adjusting to more difficult leagues.

We know what Vanek accomplished in the AHL and as I said I like him but that doesnt "clearly" make him instantly as good as Zherdev, and im not claimng hell never be as good, only that one cant make such statements, based on stats we can say derek Roy should be mentioned in same breath among these elite drafted players, his stats were better than Vaneks at the same age in the AHL 26points in 26 games last year and 60/67 this year cammaleri at same age 20 points in 13 games, 109/79 this year.....so you see im not forgetting stats.

In short i think Vanek will be great not knocking him down, but we cant say hes clearly as good as someone that has shown flashes of brilliance in the NHL,,, thats to be seen.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
HOCKEY_GURU said:
We know what Vanek accomplished in the AHL and as I said I like him but that doesnt "clearly" make him instantly as good as Zherdev, and im not claimng hell never be as good, only that one cant make such statements, based on stats we can say derek Roy should be mentioned in same breath among these elite drafted players, his stats were better than Vaneks at the same age in the AHL 26points in 26 games last year and 60/67 this year cammaleri at same age 20 points in 13 games, 109/79 this year.....so you see im not forgetting stats.

In short i think Vanek will be great not knocking him down, but we cant say hes clearly as good as someone that has shown flashes of brilliance in the NHL,,, thats to be seen.

I get what you're saying. Vanek does need to prove himself in the NHL before he can "clearly" be as called as good as Zherdev. Hopefully he will.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
I get what you're saying. Vanek does need to prove himself in the NHL before he can "clearly" be as called as good as Zherdev. Hopefully he will.
Ill be cheering for him too... drafted him in one of my pools ;)

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
With the time, I've seen that Zherdev should have been the 1st drafted player, in 2003.

As I think, Al Arbour said for Bossy, one day:

" You can show to a player to learn to play defense,
but you can't show to score goals."

This kid has supreme talent. On his draft year he did more than Ovechkin offensively. His defense needs some work, at least a minimum. He never
will become a Carbonneau or a Madden, but he will score a lot and will prepare
also a lot goals. I think, also, that the sparring time he played in WJC hurt him
a lot in his draft status.

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
When I've said in the last post that Zherdev did more than Ovechkin, I mean year for year in their respective draft.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Zherdev-Put up better numbers last yr than AO and Kovy Pts Per Game
Phaneuf-The real deal
Staal- Best all round forward
Vanek- Scoring machine
Carter- Will show he should of gone earlier.
Horton- Worried about his injuries
Parise- Good first yr on a bad AHL team
Brown- Could mix of grit and talent
Suter- Should be in NHL this yr

Awesome draft :yo:

Fleury could be spotted anywhere in the top 10 depending how badly you needed a goalie....Pitts felt it was their best option that yr

How wrong could you be with any of these guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad