Speculation: Berube the next Leafs coach?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Keefe is Tres man until the team says otherwise. And Tre didn't go out of his way to give Keefe a multi year extension if he had serious concerns about Keefe's future with the team

Do you realize what team you are talking about?

You think a 2 yeah extension matters?

This team doesn't care about a 2 year extension, if they did they wouldn't have paid Babcock for 4 years after they fired him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My preference would be Mike Sullivan, but I would certainly take Berube.

The next Leafs coach should be required to have won a championship.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Real change like addressing the real problem by getting rid of core players?

The real problem is coaching, a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

A good coach doesn't lead the NHL in coaching penalities AKA too many men on the ice.

a good coach doesn't get out coached in literally EVERY SINGLE playoff series he's in, yes including the series he won.

Coaching IS a real problem

Reactions: hullsy47

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

This team doesn't care about a 2 year extension, if they did they wouldn't have paid Babcock for 4 years after they fired him.
It's funny you say that a lot of people went out of their minds when Keefes 2 year extension was announced, which makes me think it matters to some!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's funny you say that a lot of people went out of their minds when Keefes 2 year extension was announced, which makes me think it matters to some!
To some fans yes.

But MLSE doesn't give a f*** about a 2 year extension

They make Keefe's salary every 5 minutes

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Not sure Tre has the ability to assess what is good or bad, he has a horrid record in Calgary as an assessor of talent, be it assessing players or coaches, five years from now, if I look back and this season is not the beginning of the decline for this franchise, I would be floored.

Keep in mind Tre -
  • Traded for and traded away Dougie Hamilton, whom he couldn't convince to sign.
  • Drafted and traded away Adam Fox, whom he couldn't convince to sign.
  • Drafted and traded away Matthew Tkachuk, whom he couldn't convince to sign.
  • Signed Huberdeau 8 x $10.5 million
  • Signed Nazem Kadri (7 x 7 in 2022),
  • Signed Jacob Markstrom (6 x 6 in 2020),
  • Signed James Neal (5 x 5.75 in 2018),
  • Signed Blake Coleman (6 x 4.9 in 2021),
  • Signed Chris Tanev (4 x 4.5 in 2020),
  • Signed Troy Brouwer (4 x 4.5 in 2016),
  • Signed Michael Frolik (5 x 4.3 in 2015).
  • Calgary won two rounds in the nine years under Treliving.
  • Treliving spent seven years as the Assistant GM with the Coyotes. The Coyotes made the playoffs three times in his tenure, winning two playoff series in that time
A lot of head scratching moves,
Those Treliving Flames and Yotes stats are still more impressive then anything the Leafs have done in the last 8 years

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's been reported multiple times that after Babcock they do infact care about wasting money.
I figure Keefe's annual salary is less than 1 home playoff games revenue for us, so I guess the question is how much do they think a coaching change will impact results

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
My preference would be Mike Sullivan, but I would certainly take Berube.

The next Leafs coach should be required to have won a championship.
Not making a joke but how about a Sullivan for Keefe trade?

Pitt would prefer not to walk away from the big extension Sullivan signed before it even kicks in.
And we know Dubas loves Sheldon.

I know baseball had a player for manager trade.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Something I'd essentially expect to happen in the event that the Leafs bow out in the first round.

*I'd be against an early exit more than I would Berube coaching the team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not making a joke but how about a Sullivan for Keefe trade?

Pitt would prefer not to walk away from the big extension Sullivan signed before it even kicks in.
And we know Dubas loves Sheldon.

I know baseball had a player for manager trade.

Is that legal? can coaches be traded?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Berube would be a good choice.

A door mat would also be acceptable. The players walk all over Keefe already anyway. I doubt they would even notice him gone.

The team would still get the same results.

Remember kids, aim low. No point in even bother trying to be the best. Not when continued mediocrity is good enough.

Then you can only surprise on the upside.

When you look at it that way it really shouldn't be too difficult to find somebody to replace Keefe with now should it. His greatest claim to fame is a few more points than normal at the end of the regular season. Respect in the handshake lineup type stuff.

I can only imagine how much respect in the handshake lineup Berube got when he won the cup.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
If Keefe is fired this off season, would he literally have the best winning lercentage of any coach to be fired?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
He didn’t see anybody better available last summer and gave Keefe a chance. Maybe Shanny likes him. That doesn’t mean Keefe’s job is safe if they have another first round exit. That would be five playoffs with one series victory to show for it. He’s the easiest change to make with the hope to improve the team.

Shanny will be gone too if they don’t win at least one round.
How anyone can say something like that with such certainty is beyond me.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Mirtle on the leafs report has suggested that ownership wasn't exactly pleased with the amount of money they had to pay out to Babcock. I doubt they'll be enthusiastic about paying Keefe a couple million while also paying the salary of new high profile coach.

Not to mention i can't imagine Tre being willing to walk back one of his earliest big front office decisions.

Personally I'm indifferent to Keefe as coach. I won't care all that much if he's fired. I just don't expect it to happen

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
4 Top 15 paid players in the NHL. Largest operational budget in the NHL...

Explain to me the playoff success' we've had under Keefe. Please be descriptive.
The have lost in their first series every year save the last one where they eliminated Tampa Bay. They lost in the subsequent round to Florida.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The real problem is coaching, a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

A good coach doesn't lead the NHL in coaching penalities AKA too many men on the ice.

a good coach doesn't get out coached in literally EVERY SINGLE playoff series he's in, yes including the series he won.

Coaching IS a real problem
Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, NYR, and St. Louis have all had good coaches whose teams have blow 3-1 series leads. Jim Montgomery was the last to do it. Or is it only to Montreal?

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Free up time in late spring.

Better gardening efforts.

More knowledge gained on how other teams perform in the post season.

Less stress.
The only silver lining

I'd speculate that Keefe needs at least two rounds and even then, it might have to be a good showing as well.

I'd also speculate that they were looking to discuss Shannys fate last offseason but after the shitshow they had to keep him on and grab Tre.

Now that Tre is here I'm not sure what sense it would make to remove Shanny until Tre reaches his judgement year? And if that's the case I think that is the 25/26 season - reasonably enough time to clean up the mess and play out a season post 11M JT. So I'd expect Shanny gets an additional year after this one and could remarkably keep his post past that if things keep trending well.
If that’s true then Shanny is more Teflon then Donnie Trump

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Nah they won't hire Berube, they'll waste the rest of Matthews, Marner, Nylander & Rielly's primes by hiring the next hotshit AHL coach so he can learn on the job.

View attachment 839448

I don't think so.

Keefe has one more chance. If Berube is the hottest shit post playoffs, MLSE will open up the vaults because they can.

Tre is new here, he gets a pass until he has his own coach, that's how it goes. Tre doesn't seem like the type of GM to go AHL hunting with MLSE cash to throw around. But we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad