News Article: Bertuzzi, obviously, wants to come back

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Just read Helene St James' article about Todd bertuzzi's future, he obviously wants to come back and talks about how he loved his time here.

"Playing and living in Detroit, it's been a great place to raise a family, a great place for kids to play sports, and a great place to play in front of fans, who've been awesome to me," Bertuzzi said en route to Toronto, where his 13-year-old son is playing in a tournament.

"I'd put Detroit as my favorite place to have played. California and Florida had their weather benefits, but as far as lifestyle, we couldn't have lived in a better area. I love playing here, with the ownership and management that we have, the way they run the organization, you're treated first class."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/wings/2014/05/02/todd-bertuzzi-red-wings-future/8609497/

My thoughts are, I was like most hockey fans when it came to thinking of Todd Bertuzzi before he came here, which were jaded thoughts because of his mistake with Steve Moore. However, in his time here I have grown to really like Big Bert. He seems like a good guy, a good teammate and a good leader. Unfortunately, his skill level isn't on par with what we would expect from him, which would be that net front presence for Datsyuk to play with. He just doesn't have the legs anymore. The back issues really took their toll on his career and I think he mentally was never right after the Moore incident.

I wish him all the best, hope he finds another NHL gig somewhere and if not, i do hope the Wings keep him involved as a scout or something. Anyways, I know it wasn't as successful as we hoped, but I guess this thread is one for us to tip our hats to Big Bert and thank him for his time here.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
As I mentioned one of the roster threads, if he wants to come back in a front office role, sure. But other than that, no.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't even think he should be the 14th forward, but I think Bertuzzi was a lift in Game 4 so a nice way for him to go out if that was his last game in a Detroit uniform. Not many complaints about him in terms of his two separate tenures here, he made one mistake and unfortunately it is tied to him forever.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I never hated Bertuzzi the way many did for his mistake, so I was excited when he came here originally. He did everything right in Detroit but his best days were clearly behind him. He still contributed nicely at times and formed a nice duo with Datsyuk when both were healthy for a couple years. He's always had great things to say about Detroit and rightfully so. I hope he can continue his career if he truly wants to, but it shouldn't be here. Detroit's turned the page onto the youth movement. Thanks for some good memories, the Todd Ber-Tuz-Zi chant, and good look to him in the future.

Btw, it would have been special to see prime Bertuzzi play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
As I mentioned one of the roster threads, if he wants to come back in a front office role, sure. But other than that, no.

This is ideal. Bert's a guy I think of as one of "our guys", so I hope he gets the treatment others have received post-playing career. I know he wasn't drafted here or play out his prime here, but he got his second chance and redemption here. Sometimes those things are just as important.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Todd you had 3 good years for us. You were a solid, consistent 40 point vet at a good price.

But if the last 2 years didn't teach you that its time to hang em up, I don't know what will.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Bertuzzi is another case of "Babcock wtf are you doing" with his line placement.

But now we have too many young options. Unless we trade away our AHLers for a good d-man or something, Bert's just not going to have a place.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Bertuzzi is another case of "Babcock wtf are you doing" with his line placement.

But now we have too many young options. Unless we trade away our AHLers for a good d-man or something, Bert's just not going to have a place.

The weird thing was that the Miller-Glendening-Bertuzzi line was actually as effective as it was when Bertuzzi returned to the lineup. He actually played pretty solid and help them maintain some zone time down low for a couple weeks.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Nothing wrong with a guy expressing his desire to keep playing if the Wings are willing to pay him. I never begrudge a guy for wanting to keep playing the game he loves for as long as someone will pay him to do so.

That said, I'm hoping Kenny remembers the debacle he created a year ago in signing Cleary and avoids handing out another one year deal to a washed up vet.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
shocked_stares__buffy___spike__by_thisnameispwoper-d4sqp33.gif

all guys in grand rapid is better than him. stay away.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Although re-signing Bertuzzi defies all logic and reason, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened. I didn't think it would happen '12 but it happened anyway. Just like Cleary last year and Samuelsson two years ago.

I really hope they let him ride into the sunset, like they did with Maltby and Holmström.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Much like Mitch Albom, St James is a sad excuse for a journalist.

Exactly what is this piece intended to inform us of? That loving family-man Bertuzzi wants to keep his job? Did his agent outline this?

How about asking why he thinks he should have one.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
If Detroit didn't have so many great players knocking on the door in Grand Rapids, I'd be all for Bert having another contract in Detroit. He was effective as a net front presence, and he was a big body that stood up for his teammates once in a while. He was a solid option in the shootouts as well. If anything, he's a 13th / 14th forward that is good enough to fill in when injuries occur. It's too bad he lost a couple steps, because he really was a 40 point player for a couple years in Detroit, and he was a fan favorite. I'd love to see him win a cup, but I will only be rooting for him if he's not playing against Detroit. Great hockey player before his back injuries, a solid player afterwards... even now, you can see he still has at least some skill left in him. I don't disagree that he could play somewhere, but I definitely don't think he's a top player on any team he would be playing for, and if he can settle for 4th line / 2nd PP / shootout somewhere, good for him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Can he be signed to a 2 way deal? If he can play in GR and come up inthe case of hard injuries like this year.
Is he better than Miller?
I know Miller has done a fine job, but he does not bring anything special to the team

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Always liked Big Bert but heard that civil suit with steve moore is this coming fall and Bert is 39 now after a 16 pt season in 59GP.
I wish him the best but got a feeling he's going to have to pay a lot of millions to moore when that lawsuit is finally over so his best course of action may be to try to sign on with a KHL club for some tax free big bag of money before his earning potential is over.
ken holland has been a mediocre GM these last 5 years and Bert is at least one of the VERY few tough guys left on our roster which we desperately need more of so I hope Kenny comes to his senses and gets us a few rugged d-man and forwards to help keep the flies off our "skaters" since this team by no coincidence has been injury riddled last few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad