Confirmed with Link: Bernier signed to 2 year deal x $4.125 million

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Definitely a smart use of cap space: overpay on the AAV to keep the contract down to just two years instead of three or four. With the amount of space the Devils have there's no reason not to overpay for guys they want to target for short term deals, lets you ice a decent team while still allowing the younger guys and prospects to develop and not be totally blocked.

And yeah, the idea that we'll probably have two decent goalies next year? Good God, what a change that'll be from the past few years. As many holes as this team has, even just mediocre overall goaltending would've made a big difference in the right direction, so if the goal for this year is to get guys like Jack, Nico, and the others used to fighting for a playoff spot and embracing an expectation of winning then this is a solid way to get moving in that direction.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Couple years ago Bernier was unreal against us at our home opener vs the Avs. We won but man he left a impression on that entire arena that day
I was there when that happened. I was around 8 rows back in either section 21 or 22, which was right in front of where Severson ripped it from. I had an absolutely perfect view of that save. To this day, it is one of the most impressive saves I have ever seen. Watching something like that so close to the action makes you really realize how ridiculously impressive that save was. Unreal stuff.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I legit forgot he was even ON the Kings in 2012

New Jersey Devils at Los Angeles Kings Box Score — October 25, 2011 | Hockey-Reference.com

I went to a Devils@Kings game early that season and Bernier got the start. The peculiar thing was that Jonathan Quick had three straight shutouts leading up to that game and had plenty of rest. I'm probably overthinking it as the Kings staff said they had mapped out the starters well in advance, but I always thought that was a bit of a Bernier audition for Lou in case we got to the point of entertaining a trade for Parise.

Going way back when the Mike Danton stuff was happening in 2003, there was a rumor that the Kings were offering an AHL guy named Scott Barney. When the Devils came to LA, Barney happened to get called up for his NHL debut and even took the opening faceoff.

mj2sexay

Jul 2, 2009
I'll be honest, I initially was unenthused because of the figure...

...seeing how insane the goalie market has been since he put pen to paper, I think Fitz could've done a lot worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad