Bernier replacement

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Smith is an NHL starter talent wise. His head is another matter. Actually had good numbers in T-Bay before his concussion.

But whatever, can agree to disagree.

Yeah. Have to disagree. Smith was not good in Tampa. There's a reason they were fine with moving on without him. Even before his concussion he wasn't that good. The only two times Smith has looked good was in Dallas as Turco's backup...under Tippett, and then again in Phoenix under Tippett. The guy simply coaches a system that makes goalies look better than they really are.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
In 2008-2009, he had a .916 save percentage before getting his concussion. Without him, the other goalies were 10-22-9 and had a sub .895 combined save percentage. He was actually very effective that year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Garon or Labarbera and potential backups?

How about Randy Jones as a 7th d-man or Raitis Ivanans as a 13th forward?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Garon or Labarbera and potential backups?

How about Randy Jones as a 7th d-man or Raitis Ivanans as a 13th forward?

Not this coming season. Next year bring them back. Guarantee us the 1st overall pick, take Connor McDavid, and win the next 12 Stanley Cups.

Mr Teeny

Aug 10, 2005
Mission Viejo, CA
If they don't think Jones is ready, or feel more development in Manchester is his best bet, then I think Dean finds the best character guy available who can play. Guarantee he's following Herb Brooks' thoughts on looking for the RIGHT player, not the BEST player. Even if a guy's available for league minimum, you simply don't disrupt the room with a great goalie who's a headcase.

Find an awesome teammate who knows, accepts, relishes the role of a true backup. If the right guy doesn't exist in the free agent market, I have no problem spending a late pick at the draft to grab him from somewhere else.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
If they don't think Jones is ready, or feel more development in Manchester is his best bet, then I think Dean finds the best character guy available who can play. Guarantee he's following Herb Brooks' thoughts on looking for the RIGHT player, not the BEST player. Even if a guy's available for league minimum, you simply don't disrupt the room with a great goalie who's a headcase.

Find an awesome teammate who knows, accepts, relishes the role of a true backup. If the right guy doesn't exist in the free agent market, I have no problem spending a late pick at the draft to grab him from somewhere else.

His name is Al Montoya and he's ****ing awesome.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I like Scrivens from Toronto. He has some potential. Kings are about to trade Bernier, let go Gibson...not much in the cupboard behind Quick. Berube and Jones are a ways away.

It would be nice to get a kid who may be eventually a #1 or has potential rather than a washed up back-up.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
To be fair though, who was the last goalie that looked good in Tampa?

Honestly, I think a lot of people overlook the team's system vs. the goalie. There's a ton of goalies that probably wouldn't succeed in Philly because of their offense first style and lack of strong defensive core.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I wonder how much Smith gets on his upcoming deal and who takes him.

Isn't it obvious, the Flyers will buy out Bryz, sign Smith for 7 years @ 5 million and be right back to having goalie issues. Smith is a product of a Dave Tippet team, nothing more.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Remember when management tried to sell us on the Garon/Labarbera tandom. Ugh. We all hoped it might work because we finally put it in the hands of two young guys, but they fumbled...badly...and neither every became a #1.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Nope. Been a fan since his Michigan days. He's more than a decent backup and real cheap.

Other than the cheap part, none of this is true... I will give you that he was decent in his limited stretch in Phoenix so he might find success in a system that limits scoring chances like the Kings. But yeah far too inconsistent to serve as a backup in my eyes.

Solid article. What about somebody like Khubodin or Emery? Probably cheap, good numbers on solid teams.

Last edited:

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Isn't it obvious, the Flyers will buy out Bryz, sign Smith for 7 years @ 5 million and be right back to having goalie issues. Smith is a product of a Dave Tippet team, nothing more.

It's funny how some goalies thrive in the right system. Look at Elliott in St. Louis. A lot of goalies will get exposed on the wrong team. I bet if you put any goalie in the league on Philly last year they are going to have a crap year.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Solid article. What about somebody like Khubodin or Emery? Probably cheap, good numbers on solid teams.

I highly doubt Emery will even consider LA, with Quick firmly established. It's even more doubtful that Dean can afford to pay him what his market rate will bear. He will be looking for a team that he gets at minimum 20-30 starts in a platoon role.

Razor will end up possibly being a bridge starter for a team that is waiting a few years on a prospect to mature. He can step in and provide the backstop they need and bring some playoff experience to a team that lacks all of the above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad