Bernier replacement

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
If Bernier is traded who do the Kings bring in to back up Quick?

Although this years UFA goalies are not exactly stunning in terms of starters, there sure does seem to be some quality back ups.

Khabibulin...too old
Emery...too expensive
Labarbera...old King had a good year in PHX...good option
Theodore...think he probably wants to play more games
Mason...probably retire
Ellis...filled in well in CAR and has always played well against the Kings...good option
Griess...relatively untested and wouldn't push too much for playing time behind Quick...OK option
Khudobin...lots of upside, but probably looking for more games like in EDM or MINN
Garon...aging vet and ex-king might fit
Montoya...nothing flashy...on the right side of 30

I think Labarbera or Ellis are the likely options? thoughts and for how much?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Labs isn't coming back.

Khudobin and Bulin are the two I'd be looking at. It doesn't matter that Bulin is old, the Kings don't need a long-term backup. They will be changing their backup goalie every few years or even yearly now. The older guy is more likely to take a one year deal, so...

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
How about Martin Jones? Minimum cap hit. Needs to play ~15 games. Done.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
I'm probably one of the only ones, but I'd give Martin Jones the shot as backup. Hes done his time in Manchester and deserves a shot at it. Plus his low cap hit will allow us to make moves to improve our offense. If it seems after a few games he plays in that hes not capable, we trade for a cheap backup, no biggie.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Martin Jones, ideally.

I think Dan Ellis for an even million could be a good UFA option.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I'd love a guy like Greiss, but I feel like a team will offer him a deal with more term.

Realistically? Mason or Bulin, maybe.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
So I went to google to get a Dan Cloutier beachball GIF so I could be a smart-ass and say something "funny" like "why not this guy" but then I ran across pics of Kim Cloutier and forgot why I am here.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I want someone cheap. They need someone to take a few games for Quick every now and then. With the cap lowering, the Kings need all the space they can get to be able to sign other needed areas. I'd probably be ok with just bringing up a younger guy to backup.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I was hoping Jones would be ready by now, but his start in Manchester this year was terrible.

He was getting beat out by Mannino(UFA) for a good portion of the season.

Jones finished strong, but yikes.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I say give Jones another year of AHL starting action. Let him ripen like Detroit does with players

I say we can get Dan Ellis for cheap. Emery will look to where he can get alot of games, so he's out of the equation. Or a former King in Garon. Stats are fooling us, he played on a terrible defensive team in Tampa. He's fine on good defensive teams for 15 games.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'm probably one of the only ones, but I'd give Martin Jones the shot as backup. Hes done his time in Manchester and deserves a shot at it. Plus his low cap hit will allow us to make moves to improve our offense. If it seems after a few games he plays in that hes not capable, we trade for a cheap backup, no biggie.

I am with you and the rest of the Jones' supporters.

He really pulled his act together towards the end of this past season and I think that he would benefit from practicing with the team and getting adjusted to the NHL level. If he isn't ready then there will be other options but I too think he deserves his shot.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
The thing with rolling with Jones is that it would leave the Kings with a huge hole in goaltending depth. Berube is not ready to be a starter in the AHL, and we have nobody behind him.

Jones needs to start in Manch this year again. From my knowledge, he doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down and while he has shown us flashes of brilliance from time to time, he has to work on his consistency. He has a lot of work to do.

I'm sorry, but if Quick gets hurt during the year, I do not want Martin Jones manning the pipes -- I want a veteran back-up who won't **** the bed.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
The thing with rolling with Jones is that it would leave the Kings with a huge hole in goaltending depth. Berube is not ready to be a starter in the AHL, and we have nobody behind him.

Jones needs to start in Manch this year again. From my knowledge, he doesn't have to clear waivers to be sent down and while he has shown us flashes of brilliance from time to time, he has to work on his consistency. He has a lot of work to do.

I'm sorry, but if Quick gets hurt during the year, I do not want Martin Jones manning the pipes -- I want a veteran back-up who won't **** the bed.

I agree, although Jones was brillant down the stretch! There was times last year when he looked really bad. Even lost his job as a starter at one point to Peter Mannino. As you said consistency is his issue. I liked to see him have a consistent season in Manchester before bringing him to LA.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Problem is it's not really giving him a chance. It's having him ride the pine for most of the season. Since we know whoever it is they are not going to do anything but ride the pine for 65 or so games.

This doesn't concern me that much, the organization bet an awful lot on the idea that Quick will be the starter in LA for a long time when he signed that 10 year contract. If all goes well the back-up position will be a revolving door for the next decade until Quick starts getting old and the search for his eventual replacement starts. I'm hoping there's not a goalie in the system, or one coming out of the draft in the next 5 years that will ever be viewed as Quick's successor and therefore am not overly worried that having Jones sit on the bench for 65 games will stall his developement. He's just got to be good enough to not cost us games when we play against the bottom 3rd of the league and given our cap situation the cheaper the better. Meanwhile, we should all be praying every night that Quick stays healthy and keeps up his level of play for at least the majority of his contract.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Chuck a million on the table and see who bites. I'm not too concerned about it. Would be nice to have Jones slide into the backup role but it's better off the stays in Manchester and gets another full season in hopefully playing 50+ games and playoff action as well. This backup can be a 1-year stop gap until Jones is ready.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Labs is a good option because he is used to playing that backup goalie who gets in 20 games or so and does a good job. This is a much better Kings team then the years he was here.

H....hav....have you ever WATCHED LOLBarbera? You just said good with Jason and the sentence wasn't "It was a good move to offload Labs for any sort of return to a rival team. That severely weakens their goaltending". He's just NOT good. I'd probably take every regular goalie in the league (regular backups as well...not goalie that only played a few games) last year over him. Only person I take Labs over is Sieve Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad